Yeti GOBOX Collection

NM poaching.

hank4elk

Just heard yesterday ,second hand, that the neighbors daughter who works at the Quemado FS Ranger station , said someone shot a cow ON the FS property IN TOWN and took the cow and left a dead calf.
Said they were caught up by Grants. I'm checking it out further today.

This really pisses me off. About as lazy a MF as you can get.
There are BLM & state lands to hunt right across the road. Just north of town too. Where they go through each morning to bed.

I felt guilty just hunting those town cows a few years ago. Legally.
But I was half a mile away in a perfect ambush spot, on BLM when I dropped 2 ,2 years in a row, and they landed on the dirt road. There is a ridge between that spot and town and I was shooting into the empty lands. But I still felt guilty it was so easy. I was parked across the hwy from the station and walked in.

At least they were caught although absent fines and jail time, loss of hunting privileges isn't a deterrent from someone willing to poach anyway.

Dirt bags. Glad they caught them. I confronted illegal wood poachers in nearby unit couple weeks ago. They gave me BS story about the alligator junipers (green) they were slaying and how they had tags. I called local game warden (local FS usually doesn't respond to wood poaching). Warden was too far out to make it in time as these guys were heading to AZ in the dark. Two large truck loads of illegally cut wood on illegally cut roads. FS needs to clamp down on illegal wood cutting before all the local old (several hundred year old) alligator is gone. Not to mention all the BS roads that they have created getting to these trees.

Dirt bags. Glad they caught them. I confronted illegal wood poachers in nearby unit couple weeks ago. They gave me BS story about the alligator junipers (green) they were slaying and how they had tags. I called local game warden (local FS usually doesn't respond to wood poaching). Warden was too far out to make it in time as these guys were heading to AZ in the dark. Two large truck loads of illegally cut wood on illegally cut roads. FS needs to clamp down on illegal wood cutting before all the local old (several hundred year old) alligator is gone. Not to mention all the BS roads that they have created getting to these trees.
Unfamiliar with "wood poaching"
Just cutting firewood, or?

Unfamiliar with "wood poaching"
Just cutting firewood, or?
Illegally cutting firewood or logging on USDA-FS lands, without permits.
We both have seen them and called FS. Ancient Alligator Junipers being decimated. Whole crews working day and night it seems.
Some of these trees are 6-8 feet plus at the bases and hundreds of years old.
AZ shut down cutting over the border, but here they are. Bet you can find wood yards in Show Low selling NM wood.

I’ll never understand the mentality that even thinks killing animals where they have no permission, FS land, parks, neighbors yards, etc is acceptable.

Just heard yesterday ,second hand, that the neighbors daughter who works at the Quemado FS Ranger station , said someone shot a cow ON the FS property IN TOWN and took the cow and left a dead calf.
Said they were caught up by Grants. I'm checking it out further today.

This really pisses me off. About as lazy a MF as you can get.
There are BLM & state lands to hunt right across the road. Just north of town too. Where they go through each morning to bed.

I felt guilty just hunting those town cows a few years ago. Legally.
But I was half a mile away in a perfect ambush spot, on BLM when I dropped 2 ,2 years in a row, and they landed on the dirt road. There is a ridge between that spot and town and I was shooting into the empty lands. But I still felt guilty it was so easy. I was parked across the hwy from the station and walked in.
Is the forest service land off limits(not condoning the left animal)? Not familiar with NM rules, but I have hunted public land in “city” limits many times in AK.

Is the forest service land off limits(not condoning the left animal)? Not familiar with NM rules, but I have hunted public land in “city” limits many times in AK.
You cannot hunt in the town limits of Quemado.
Nor many towns or subdivisions in NM that I know of.
You would need permission to even be on that ranch property across the road from town proper. The FS office is in the town between the Catholic church and a home.

It seems it would be a violation of the no hunting within 150 ft of an occupied residence law too. Probably within 150 ft of the road law too.
Besides being a dick move of trespassing to poach. Wonton waste,etc...

You cannot hunt in the town limits of Quemado.
Nor many towns or subdivisions in NM that I know of.
You would need permission to even be on that ranch property across the road from town proper. The FS office is in the town between the Catholic church and a home.

It seems it would be a violation of the no hunting within 150 ft of an occupied residence law too. Probably within 150 ft of the road law too.
Besides being a dick move of trespassing to poach. Wonton waste,etc...
Not much way it could ever be considered legal. Some days I wonder what the impact of the effing of NM residents is - I think poaching is always there, but it doesn't help to have it so stinking hard to get a tag.

David
NM

Not much way it could ever be considered legal. Some days I wonder what the impact of the effing of NM residents is - I think poaching is always there, but it doesn't help to have it so stinking hard to get a tag.

David
NM
It's not so hard as you have to break the law to hunt.
I'm sorry but the hard for residents to draw a tag BS is BS. It is not an entitlement.

Last edited:
It's not so hard as you have to beak the law to hunt.
I'm sorry but the hard for residents to draw a tag BS is BS. It is not an entitlement.
I just wonder. But you are right - poachers are not hunters, and vice versa.

Basically, assholes do this kind of thing. Best word I can think of, and it is short of how I feel.

When I lived in Oregon, it was postulated that there were seven deer taken by poachers for every legally taken deer in the Western portion of the state.

David
NM

I just wonder. But you are right - poachers are not hunters, and vice versa.

Basically, assholes do this kind of thing. Best word I can think of, and it is short of how I feel.

When I lived in Oregon, it was postulated that there were seven deer taken by poachers for every legally taken deer in the Western portion of the state.

David
NM
CA was the same.
Easily twice that here. IMHO

I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard in casual situations someone recalling seeing a nice buck while driving only for someone else to whole heartedly say "man you should have shot that thing" or "man I would have shot that thing." I've also heard people tell of thier woes that can't ever draw anything anyways so "they might as well just poach."

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back