MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Road blocks in New Mexico

I don't think it is that big of a deal myself. But we do live in trying times. Just be careful where you park your rig for the night. NM is an open carry state and I think it wise to pack a sidearm and bear spray these days. There are some states where I get a bit nervous when hunting the outback. New Mexico is not one of them. The Gila is one of those places that once you go there, you never want to leave. I heard the bulls in there can't keep their heads up this year. Best of luck to you. 😎

Thanks looking forward to it! Now I'm just a little worried about tenting for a week. Hope no strangers come pay us a visit during the night haha

I have never worried about my camps in SW NM,ever.
Would I leave a rifle in the truck in sight,binos on dash or a chain saw in bed,no. Not anywhere....anymore.

NM G&F CO's are very thinly spread & I understand the use of various offices manning checkpoints. Within reason.....
I have been stopped more on the interstate checkpoints by BP in last 10 yrs, & only in the southern parts of NM. More concern when I go shopping in AZ being followed by cops for out of state plates...pet peeve of mine everywhere.

My recent statements about the breakins & such have more to do with non local folks driving around in ranch country, clueless.
Do your research. Have your maps & onxmaps with you. This is heavily checkerboarded private/public lands...outside of NF lands.

Catron County ord. states every household to be armed.

Should be, not shall be. Essentially meaningless.

In the little time I’ve spent in Catron County, I would be surprised to learn that someone didn’t own or wasn’t carrying a gun. It’s not exactly the kind of place help is a phone call away.
The only place as rural as Catron County, but still inhabited by people I’ve ever been that compares is Ekalaka/Alzada, Montana.
Help is going to come from yourself out there.

Catron County ord. states every household to be armed.

Should be, not shall be. Essentially meaningless.

Meaningless,until you meet a Catron Co. rancher gal with a rifle & a chaw ..........LOL

They will ask "have you been hunting or fishing?"
Then they will ask "are you in possession of any game?"

Assuming you're not stinking of booze and answer no to both, you're on your way. Otherwise, expect more questions and a search.

Fair enough, thanks. Was just curious how far they're going with this. Sounds like it's not much different than the handful of times I've encountered a Game and Fish guy out in the field.

It is a state thing...not a federal issue. If you want to hunt in a particular state you have to agree to abide by their rules, regulations and laws. If you don't like it, you can always attend a fish and game commission meeting (or hearing) and give your opinion. Also write your state reps and voice that opinion. Other than that, all of the complaining will go nowhere. I tend to agree with the Viking.

It is a state thing? No, sir. It's a Fourth Amendment thing. I tried to state reasonable objections to enforcement policy that stands on controversial legal grounds and give HTers a fair warning of what to expect at these road blocks. Sorry all you heard was whining.

You stated they won't search your property without probable cause. Perhaps you are correct. But they will ask to search your property and when you say "no" they will then have reasonable suspicion. So they will search you at these road blocks. We just have to shut up and take it. I object on principle.

Fair enough, thanks. Was just curious how far they're going with this. Sounds like it's not much different than the handful of times I've encountered a Game and Fish guy out in the field.

Yep. It's honestly not that intrusive. But if you do have game, they will inspect it. So be prepared. And if they think you're lying, they will find a way to inspect you. It's a good deterrent to keep honest people honest. Not much else.

PS
The one time I had game at a checkpoint, we were inspected. It only took about 5 mins because everything was in order. But it was nerve racking as they checked for compliance with all the regs. The whole time I was wondering what happened to the poacher I reported earlier that day. He was probably at the pub bragging.

We just have to shut up and take it. I object on principle.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. If you were searched unlawfully and didn't contact an attorney for legal action and/or a formal complaint, then shame on you.

All Law enforcement agencies, including BLM and National Forest enforcement officiers will be conducting road blocks this hunting season. Make sure yawl have the habitat permits, stamps, licenses, tags and off road permits etc. They will be going through your rigs with a fine tooth comb so make sure you have all of your ducks in a row. Delays are to be expected so give yourself plenty of time. Good luck!

Thank you for the heads up! That can really put a damper on a hunting trip.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. If you were searched unlawfully and didn't contact an attorney for legal action and/or a formal complaint, then shame on you.

Shame on me for stopping at a road block, answering LEOs questions honestly, and then consenting to a search. :rolleyes:

My problem is with the road block as a tactic! You're in the middle of nowhere. You're stopped for no reason. If you don't consent to a search (regardless of any rights), you're opening yourself up to further scrutiny...so, what are you gonna do? You're going to comply. Then what? Call your attorney with no cell service and say that you consented to a search which resulted in no charges because you always follow the rules?

The search will NEVER be unlawful because honest people will be honest (or at least try to avoid LE conflict) and consent. Dishonest people who do not consent will draw reasonable suspicion. Either way, COs are gonna find a way to lawfully search your property.

To whom should I file a complaint? The courts have declared this tactic is legal. If you cannot tell, I strongly disagree with that ruling. And, yeah, I'm fairly confident that a poacher who covered his bases and had a good enough lawyer could get out of any charges resulting from a legally tenuous road block.

Am I the only one with a moral objection to this?

If so, then yep, agree to disagree.

I agree with you AggieOutlaw.

There are also road block checks for insurance and sobriety without any probable cause being required at all. I find them all objectionable, though I am all for sober, insured drivers. The principle is everything.

Agree with Aggie Outlaw to a degree and with Brent D. But, and another big but, if you agree to the search. you agreed to the search.

Time for disagreement is then and not months later on an internet site.

But how many of us know what our options are and their consequences at the moment of decision? I certainly don't. Nor am I likely to be able to invest the time (and MONEY) to choose some of the options that I feel are morally and legally correct (ie., NO).

I'm hard-headed and prone to stand on principle for no reason other than the principle. I pull a trailer for work, and was once pulled over for having a busted tail light on it. The officer was a confrontational ass from the get go, but I answered all his questions. He asked what was in the trailer, and I told him horse shoeing tools, he asked if I minded if he looked, and I told him that I did, he asked, I answered, and that was enough. He then informed me that he could detain me while he got a warrant to search the trailer, I told him to go ahead, it was hot, and I didn't really want to work anyway, but that he was going to look awful silly when he opened it up to find hammers and anvils and stuff. That set him off, and I ended up handcuffed sitting in the grass on the side of the road while he talked on his radio, eventually another older officer showed up, and after they visited for a while they cut me loose with a pile of tickets. I believe in being respectful and compliant within reason with all LEO's, but if you're a disrespectful ass to me, I'm hard to get along with....it's a personality flaw.

Agree with Aggie Outlaw to a degree and with Brent D. But, and another big but, if you agree to the search. you agreed to the search.

Time for disagreement is then and not months later on an internet site.

You’re 100% right. My disagreement is with the tactic. It’s cheap and dirty. They know We subjects will be subjugated based on the circumstances. We are remote, alone, and wanting to minimize our time costs. So we comply and sacrifice our rights for convenience.

More than a few have received petty citations for not following an obscure regulation not clearly stated in the proclamation. I narrowly avoided one. It was inane.

I'm hard-headed and prone to stand on principle for no reason other than the principle. I pull a trailer for work, and was once pulled over for having a busted tail light on it. The officer was a confrontational ass from the get go, but I answered all his questions. He asked what was in the trailer, and I told him horse shoeing tools, he asked if I minded if he looked, and I told him that I did, he asked, I answered, and that was enough. He then informed me that he could detain me while he got a warrant to search the trailer, I told him to go ahead, it was hot, and I didn't really want to work anyway, but that he was going to look awful silly when he opened it up to find hammers and anvils and stuff. That set him off, and I ended up handcuffed sitting in the grass on the side of the road while he talked on his radio, eventually another older officer showed up, and after they visited for a while they cut me loose with a pile of tickets. I believe in being respectful and compliant within reason with all LEO's, but if you're a disrespectful ass to me, I'm hard to get along with....it's a personality flaw.

Exactly this. Thanks for sharing and for standing on your principals.

You are a better citizen than me.

I just want to back to hunting or get meat in the freezer as fast as possible. So, fine. Check the beer cooler Officer. Happy now? Can I go?

And, yeah, I'm fairly confident that a poacher who covered his bases and had a good enough lawyer could get out of any charges resulting from a legally tenuous road block.

Fairly confident you’re wrong, but carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back