Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

BLM/State Land in New Mexico - Access the same?

bigharge

Not sure if this is the right forum but just wanted to some clarification on my end on how state land is treated compared to blm in New Mexico. I’ve hunted it for years and have never had an issue but have had 2 different encounters this year with residents telling me I’m not allowed to be hunting where I am.

In November on a mule deer hunt they left a note on my truck telling me I was trespassing where I was and they were reporting me to fish and game. I contacted the game warden and walked through exactly where I parked and entered and said I was perfectly fine.

2nd incident was a couple days ago quail hunting on state land. Was approached by a rancher (I assume) who said I didn’t have permission to be out here. I politely informed him that I was under the impression I was on state land and didn’t need any specific permission. We just went a separate way as we had a ton of other areas to choose from that we hunted and had no need for an altercation. I tried to contact fish and game but they are closed and can’t get a response via email.

So with all that said am I wrong in any of this. I’m very familiar with big game public land laws in New Mexico but was curious if small game like quail was treated differently. I’ve read through the booklet and can’t find anything to make me think differently, but just wanted to ask around on here to get some confirmation from someone with more bird hunting experience in that area.

It is different than BLM but if you are holding a valid hunting license during an open hunting season you are good to go.

You can’t camp on New Mexico State land and you can only be on it something like 2 days before the season opens. It’s in the regulations.

I have had more issues hunting state land in NM then any other states. Locked gates, welded gates, a cattle trailer blocking a road, a punched tire, nasty ranchers ect ect. Seems to be common theme

Thanks, I’ve read through all of that and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

NM landowners often treat NMSLO land it as their private land, will post legal access with "no trespassing" signs, gate roads. Outfitters will get in on it too. Personally seen it in NE and SE NM. It hurts residents and non-residents alike.

Sounds like your are completely fine with what you did and were totally legal being there. And like another guy said some ranchers can be nasty about it. I always track where I go on Onx so I can prove my story. I've never had a altercation with anyone but I know plenty of guys that have. Altho it seemed like alot of guys try to bend the rules to and corner jump state land or something.

I stand to be corrected but I think you can scout up to 2 weeks before your hunt.
You are right. I couldn't remember but just looked it up.

Looks like they also have started to allow camping on state lands. There is a pilot program going on with a dozen designated campsites and it also talks about backpack camping.

Main problem we have in our area is guys hunting off the county road that goes thru the private we have to hunt and there's no state land even close to being in the same area. I don't wanna know how many bucks get shot off that road😖

We were in the SE of the state by Hobbs. There was no private around us at all as I try to make a point to stay clear of even the smallest pieces of private while bird hunting It wasnt a big deal and has been the only encounter we have had in the area. Im usually pretty up to date on the state laws and any changes just had to make nothing had changed.

It is amazing how many locked gates you come to. We were pronghorn hunting in New Mexico this August and ran into a Game Warden who was headed to cut down a gate that was restricting access, said it was the 2nd gate he had cut down that weekend.

Just contacted a local NMGF officer about this issue. According to him if a person holds a valid hunting license he can hunt BLM and NM state land legally. But, a person has to access lands via county road that either borders each or county road crosses these lands. A person cannot trespass on private property to access BLM or NM state land. Have found locked gates to NM state land. Game officer stated that he needs to be informed of such and he would speak to party that locked state land. Do not know if this would solve problem but if enough hunters complain and bring this issue to officials it would help. MTG

NM landowners often treat NMSLO land it as their private land, will post legal access with "no trespassing" signs, gate roads. Outfitters will get in on it too. Personally seen it in NE and SE NM. It hurts residents and non-residents alike.
We've seen the same thing on AZ state trust land. Ranchers locking gates or putting up no trespassing signs.

In NM I’ve run into locals claiming that state land was private land, as well as been cussed out, intimidated and threatened with a call to law enforcement. I’ve also been offered access to private land free of charge! I had a GW tell me that locking a gate across a county road did not constitute denial of access because I could simply park on the side of the road, jump the gate, and walk the 2mi to the only BLM land in the unit.

In NM I’ve run into locals claiming that state land was private land, as well as been cussed out, intimidated and threatened with a call to law enforcement. I’ve also been offered access to private land free of charge! I had a GW tell me that locking a gate across a county road did not constitute denial of access because I could simply park on the side of the road, jump the gate, and walk the 2mi to the only BLM land in the unit.
Did you ask him if cutting said lock constituted another acceptable means of access? 🤷‍♂️

Did you ask him if cutting said lock constituted another acceptable means of access? 🤷‍♂️
I should have. He was quite helpful the year before, so I let it be. However, in that unit I’m just about to the point that I’m ready to start cutting the gates in half and taking them with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back