BLM/State Land in New Mexico - Access the same?

I believe some landowners want the county to pay for maintaining their roads but don't want to allow the public to drive them. Thus, using taxpayer dollars without providing any public benefit. That's the sort of action that most private landowners would loudly oppose if it was someone else abusing taxpayer dollars for personal benefit.

I came across several gates where State land was just on the other side of the locked gate. What about situations where the State land is another mile beyond a locked gate where you must travel a mile through private before reaching the inholding of State or BLM land??? Maybe it boils down to whether the road is county (taxpayer) maintained??? How can you tell if the road was maintained by taxpayer/county funding???

With a mt bike or ebike you can go under or over the gate.

How can you tell if the road was maintained by taxpayer/county funding??
I've wondered the same thing. In the area I live i know it well enough that I know which roads are county maintained and which arnt. I know of at least 6 roads on onx that shows they are county roads still but they havnt been a county road for 6 years or so. There's one they show that is a county road that hasn't been for like 12 years.

Had a couple of run ins.
One on BLM land in Wyoming back about 77 or 78.
BLM said we could hunt BLM land.
Ranchers leasing BLM grazing rights said, "NO GO!".
A local GW assured us we could "legally" hunt the BLM land, but the current grazing rights holders were such a pain to deal with, we'd be better off going elsewhere.

That's when we found out that a LOT of private ranches in that area were so sick of antelope, they let people hunt for free.
We had a great time!
Had 100% success and didn't have to deal with dorks on public land.
The landowner even invited us back the next year.

Mind you! That's been over 40 years ago!
Things "MAY" have changed a bit! LOL!

Does anybody know if they've changed the law in WY to allow access by "checker boarding"?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back