Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ATV Off-Trail/Road Rules in Wyoming?

Cerebral Stalker

Headed out in a couple weeks for a late season cow elk hunt in Wyoming with some friends and family. ATVs are going to play a big part in getting to the elk on this hunt. My friend is convinced that you can ride ATVs off-trail/road to retrieve game, no matter the distance. I did a little research and according to the BLM:

- Limited vehicle travel off existing or designated roads and trails to accomplish “necessary tasks” and certain leisure-time activities up to 300 feet from roads is allowed only if travel does not cause resource damage, create new roads or extend existing roads. It is not always possible to retrieve downed game with a vehicle. Be prepared and bring a game cart, pack frame or horses to retrieve your game. A 300 foot limit is recommended to prevent resource damage.

So, in conclusion, it appears that you can go off-trail to retrieve game but just not any further than 100 yards as long as it does not cause resource damage. Is this indeed the maximum extent that you can take your ATV off-trail to retrieve game or am I missing something? If 100 yards is the maximum extent, I'd rather keep the ATVs on the trail the whole time and just pack the meat. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here and verify that my friend is indeed incorrect.

Thanks in advance!

Seems pretty straight forward to me. That said, leave them on the trail/road and pack the meat. Any off road use is going to leave a mark on the terrain. See it here every year despite it being illegal most places.

I'd consider running over sagebrush resource damage. Keep it on the road. If you expect snow, definitely take a sled with you for meat hauling.

We just experienced "off trail" ATV riders in our unit this year. Where we hunt all of the designated trails are off limits to ATV's because of the damage they do. But there is always at least one cat every year that is up where they aren't supposed to be "hunting" on their ATV.

I know this can turn in to a sore topic. Heck it becomes a sore topic around the fire in camp. lol.

I too believe they should be left on the road and meat packed to them, instead of brush busting and leaving ruts and smashing flora off trail to haul out an animal.

Gary

Each National Forest/area can have different rules. In general for WY, National Forests allow extremly limited game retirelval - basically right next to the road - so no off road game retireval for the most part. Some National Forests establish "Game or Elk Retriaval Zones" where they do allow for some off-road retrival in some instanaces - but I'm not personally aware of any that allow it in WY. You will want to check\call the local Forest Service or BLM office in the area you plan to hunt.

I think the hunting world would be much better off if atv's had never been invented. We only see the damage caused by those who don't follow the rules because the guys that do follow the rules don't leave any damage by staying on designated roads and trails. Once there is a set of atv tracks it attracts other atv riders to follow them eventually making a trail.

Last edited:
I’d really struggle to see off-road use exist without causing resource damage or to be considered a necessary task

Good chance this time of the season a GW will be out and about, well just about any time during hunting season, so keep them on the road or the legal distance from it for retrieval.
A plastic sled will be a great help this time of the year, even if snow is sparse.
Have a shovel or 2 in your truck, you may find a drift .

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back