Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

RMEF and Shoulder Seasons

Nameless Range

I'm sure I'll be getting a summary of how many comments from members /volunteers were for/against shoulder seasons. Hopefully those of you who are members provided your comments in support /opposition so RMEF had an good cross section of member opinions when deciding on what their testimony would be.

Not to bring RMEF into this anymore than is warranted, but I would like to know:

Is this how RMEF decides what its testimony will be on management issues? It is entirely defensible, but I can certainly see where majority member support and what is good for elk would not be the same thing.

Additionally, I think opposition to the shoulder season has little to do with antlers, and everything to do with elk populations in general.

I guess one reason I bring it up is that I didn't contact RMEF, of which I am a member, in opposition. I wrote letters to FWP, but figured RMEF would oppose Shoulder Seasons because they are clearly not in the interests of elk long term. In the future I will definitely think to contact them on these issues and not assume their position.

No, that's not the only item that directs positions. Yet, in instances where a state agency is proposing some management action in the name of increased hunter opportunity /harvest and supposed herd management, member comments are important in forming positions, as they should be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back