RL 23 HOT!!

If true? Feel free to use your components up if you want to verify it.

Have a nice day Bill.
Yes if true. A handful of shots over a chrono doesn’t mean anything. It’s not like you posted how many shots you tested with 210’s vs 215’s. Have you seen this over 10 shots, 100, 1000? Were all the magnum primer loads faster? Half? By how much? It also may not hold across all brands. I’m not suggesting that you’re lying, or even necessarily wrong. I’m only suggesting that I’m not drawing my own firm conclusion based the information at hand.

Magnum primers do not contain more priming compound, nor is the compound necessarily more energetic. Rifle reloading manuals do not usually specify primer nor do they usually warn that magnum primers might suddenly push you over maximum pressure. That leaves me a little surprised by the idea that magnum primers might be yielding higher velocity. That said, they do exist to do a better job of igniting long powder columns, large powder charges, and ball powders. I suppose better ignition would seem to increase velocity, so it’s not illogical to think it could happen.

The only magnum primers I use are CCI-450’s and I don’t have any 400’s to test them against. I don’t use 400’s.

Last edited:
Back