Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rinella on Sage-Grouse - Call to Action

Ben Lamb

About a year ago, the BLM & USFS issued plans to manage public lands across 11 western states for the benefit of sage brush habitats in order to ensure that the greater sage-grouse doesn't warrant listing under the endangered species act. This effort, along with the state plans, are the main reasons the Secretary of the Interior decided not to list the bird. The plans aren't perfect, and there are still a few wrinkles to be ironed out, but the states, NGO's and the Fed are all working well together to find common ground and advance plans that work well together to conserve sage grouse, and more importantly, the land they need for survival. These plans have the added benefit of improving range conditions for elk, mule deer, pronghorn and over 300 species of flora & fauna.

Unable to take yes for an answer, Congressman Rob Bishop and his crony Ryan Benson from Big Game Forever, are trying desperately to stop the BLM plans from being implemented, and in the process, hand management of public lands over to the states. Bishop was able to get a rider placed on the National Defense Authorization Act, the bill that pays our troops, funds our military, and provides for the defense of the nation. Luckily, Senator John McCain has been a steadfast opponent to this rider, and has bucked House Leadership as well as Bishop in declaring it non-germane to the NDAA.

The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership is working with Steve Rinella to draw attention to this boondoggle, and have posted a video of Steve, along with a petition to sign so that your congressional member will understand that messing with the plans is counter-productive, and the antithesis of good land management. Please take a moment to view the video and sign the petition!

Here's the video:
https://www.facebook.com/TheTRCP/videos/10154032304872945/

Here's the petition:
https://secure3.convio.net/trcp/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=579

How does someone with as bad of opinion on conservation like Bishop end up as the chairman for the Natural Resources Committee?

If we are successful in keeping this bad rider off of any must-pass legislation, then the hunters & anglers of America can take solace that this is the second congress in a row where we've stuffed Bishop & BGF's plans to undermine public land management.

But it takes all of us. Please consider sharing the video and petition through your own social media & contacts.

Signed.

The plans aren't perfect, and there are still a few wrinkles to be ironed out,
True. It'll be interesting if all the groups that support the plans support the actions it takes to meet the objectives in the plan. I know of some areas that are going to require a whole lot of herbicide, brush killing implements, fire or all three to meet the objectives.

This is WAY over the sagebrush cover objectives for this area...

Similar area post wildfire with timely stabilization plan/effort...

Another similar area (bit lower precip zone, but same species) that is closer to the sagebrush cover objective. This is 3 years post tractor and pasture aerator...

Just hope folks that support the plan continue the support when the work is to be done. Many of these types of projects get frowned upon due to them also being good for livestock...

We hunted a BMA in far SW MT a couple of weeks ago and were accompanied by about 250 head of Black Angus as well as 8-10 grouse, 3 very confused elk and a jackrabbit about the size of a poodle.

Couldn't have asked for a better, or more western day in the field.

I grew up in the sage, and what we have now is nothing like what it used to be. The time to act and manage these lands for all uses is now, and that means we need to find common ground with livestock since our fates are tied together when it comes to this land.

i signed the petition and and got this in response.
Dear Mr. Allen,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for sage-grouse conservation efforts. I appreciate having your thoughts on this issue, as your input is valuable to me.

As a fifth generation Montanan, I understand how important our natural resources are to our local economies, communities, and more importantly, our very way of life. I support protecting our rich and diverse wildlife, but also believe we must consider the impact certain species have throughout the state.

The ongoing federal efforts to protect sage-grouse populations across the Western states threaten Montana's well-being. The Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service's plans are incredibly expensive and overly intrusive. Current draft versions of their proposals would severely hamper multiple-use activities across the species' range while usurping state authority to implement their own plans. This is why I have co-sponsored the Sage-Grouse Protection and Conservation Act, led by Congressman Chris Stewart. States, not the federal government, should have the authority to decide how to prevent the sage-grouse from being listed as an endangered species.

It is an honor to represent the people of Montana, and I value your opinion. Understanding the views of my constituents is very important to me as I continue to serve you. I will never forget who my real boss is.

If I can be of further assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In God We Trust,

Ryan K. Zinke
Member of Congress

Thanks Rob.

It is unfortunate that Congressman Zinke has swallowed the Rob Bishop kool aid on this and many other issues related to public lands.

The very real truth is that Zinke & Bishop's efforts would result in loss of management on over 100 million acres of public land in favor of plans that were never written to address the public lands side of the issue. Montana, for example, is only poised to work on state trust lands and private lands. To include ten million acres of new land would mean a huge investment from the Legislature and a complete re-writting of the Montana Sage Grouse plan. Given the make up of our legislature, I don't think that what would be good for wildlife or public land management overall.

Other states will face the same increase in spending if they have to manage all of their public lands as well as their current programs.

Furthermore, and perhaps Congressmen Zinke & BIshop don't understand this, but by eliminating the DOI plans, he is handing the animal rights activists the final item they need to put sage-grouse on the endangered species list.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob.

It is unfortunate that Congressman Zinke has swallowed the Rob Bishop kool aid on this and many other issues related to public lands.

You are quite kind ,Ben. More likely, he's helping mix the ingredients and assisting in the serving it up to the willing drinkers.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back