Rinella article.. CUT AND PASTED

I like that tack and that's a good post, but there are problems with the above as well. The landscapes I hunt in are way better than the animals I kill, but I get nervous posting them on my non-public instagram, let alone a forum. Which flat out stinks. It's too easy for people to pin down where you were and show up, even if it's not a "good" spot.
I used to subscribe to Western Hunter because in the opening pages of ea issue they would show panoramic views or different mountain ranges, landscapes or national parks that I could put n my bucket list to visit, if not hunt.

Here is a copy and paste of my comment from a different forum, Rokslide, where this same topic and article popped up earlier in the week.
Taken from your response on rokslide: "We don’t show shots of finishing off an animal if a follow up is necessary"

How come?

Taken from your response on rokslide: "We don’t show shots of finishing off an animal if a follow up is necessary"

How come?
As the guy responsible for what goes out the door, I feel nothing good comes of that. Walking up to spine hit animal and finishing it off is not fun for anyone. And surely not helpful for the image of hunting, even though it is a reality of what happens at times.

Most people will see the shot impact and the animal response. They usually can tell if a follow up will be necessary.

That's just a decision I've made. I've had some tell me they don't agree with it, but that's how it has been and will be in our content. Hope that explains.

As the guy responsible for what goes out the door, I feel nothing good comes of that. Walking up to spine hit animal and finishing it off is not fun for anyone. And surely not helpful for the image of hunting, even though it is a reality of what happens at times.

Most people will see the shot impact and the animal response. They usually can tell if a follow up will be necessary.

That's just a decision I've made. I've had some tell me they don't agree with it, but that's how it has been and will be in our content. Hope that explains.
Definitely not something that needs to be shown. If you can't tell if follow up shot was needed, then you probably shouldn't see the follow up shot anyway.

No one wants to watch someone walk up to an animal that's been shot in the spine and shoot it again. Just not very tasteful, and God forbid the humane society or peta sees it. Certainly not something I enjoy doing, but it happens and each of us owes it to the animal to take the second shot to finish things quicker.

Good for you! I watched a cape buffalo hunt video last night where the dandy with his spanking new safari duds and 450 Nitro double rifle worth half the value of my home shot a bull five times. Well, they alleged every shot hit but I'm pretty sure the second shot at it running was a miss way high. Sickening to see such a magnificent animal go through that. I put my first one down with a single frontal shot out of a measly .375 at 130 yards. Second bull did require two shots but first one was mortal. If I was videoing those hunts I would have definitely cut out the part with animals' death bellows. Swore I would shoot mine in the head just to avoid having to listen to that. Very sad. I see no reason to memorialize suffering. It happens but best forgotten. Certainly not very palatable to celebrate it like that clown did.

An article with a different viewpoint that someone shared with me. I haven't quite finished reading and processing it yet but I thought I would share before I forgot.

I’ve notice an offshoot discussion stemming from Matt Rinella’s piece that is really important (she discussed it as well)- people shooting several big game animals per season.

Is it sustainable? Is it ethical? How many is too many?

It's an interesting question. The "Working Class Bow Wounder" guy had posts about giving away meat because he couldn't take it all well before wounding his "biggest buck yet."

I like hunting and filling the freezer, but this is an important question. There are clearly some people killing way more than they need. Sure, the meat doesn't go to waste if it's being eaten by someone, but with more and more demands on our declining resources, I think everyone should step back and do a little introspection. Like, do I need to kill 3 elk, two mule deer, and a couple of pronghorn every year? That's each person's decision to make. I know how I feel about it though.

An article with a different viewpoint that someone shared with me. I haven't quite finished reading and processing it yet but I thought I would share before I forgot.

I think she makes some good points. I also think she misinterpreted some of the original articles points. Or at least understood a different emphasis than I did. Interesting read.

I was surprised by the high volume of posters on RS who came out against “shooting more than you can eat”. Personally, I think this is a contrived idea. No one’s getting on to anyone about growing more zucchinis than they and their family can personally consume.

You growing too many zucchinis doesn't affect whether or not your neighbor can also grow zucchini.

But that's all relative to where you live. They can't issue enough doe tags here. Our whitetail and mule deer populations are booming in most zones and the herds very healthy.

At the same time, those tags are only available to residents which restricts the pool of applicants for a Province that is larger than both Montana and Wyoming combined but a population of 1m. I've shot a moose and 4 deer this year and ended the season with 2 unfilled doe tags. I also had access to one more mule deer doe tag that I didn't buy. All my doe tags were for particular zones where deer herds are above objective or city zones where the booming population needs to be cut down.

Not every F&G department is irresponsible and issues too many tags.

Last edited:
But that'a all relative to where you live. They can't issue enough doe tags here. Our whitetail and mule deer populations are booming in most zones and the herds very healthy.

At the same time, those tags are only available to residents. I've shot 4 deer this year and ended the season with 2 unfilled doe tags. I also had access to one more mule deer doe tag that I didn't buy. All my doe tags were for particular zones where deer herds are above objective.

Not every F&G department is irresponsible and issues too many tags.
Not disagreeing but I think he’s being much more, maybe almost entirely, critical of guys that are doing it for content. As opposed to having an extra cow elk to share with a couple neighbors.

Extreme example, somebody like Aaron Snyder…the guy kills literally dozens of big game animals a year. I like lots of things things about his deal, but that is ridiculous.

I was surprised by the high volume of posters on RS who came out against “shooting more than you can eat”. Personally, I think this is a contrived idea. No one’s getting on to anyone about growing more zucchinis than they and their family can personally consume.
Right but you can literally grow zucchini in your back yard. Harvesting zucchini has a minimal impact on almost any other crop or anyone else's ability to grow zucchini. This is in contrast to the declining populations/habitat fragmentation that is happening and will continue to negatively affect wildlife in our lifetimes and well beyond. Does it matter if a rancher shoots a few more does off his alfalfa than he "needs"? Or if somebody shoots 4 animals in 4 states each fall? Probably not, but there is a conversation worth having here. In theory it can be mitigated by sound wildlife management because at the end of the day it doesn't matter who is killing what. It just matters if it can be sustained by the populations to allow them to persist and ideally thrive in the future. I think guys on RS are particularly sensitive to this topic because they are closer to guys like Snyder as snowy mentioned - or Call, or Lampers, or whoever, who kill literally 10+ animals every year. These guys are a lot more visible in that space so the sheer amount of animals they kill is a topic of discussion more frequently than here.

Not disagreeing but I think he’s being much more, maybe almost entirely, critical of guys that are doing it for content. As opposed to having an extra cow elk to share with a couple neighbors.

Extreme example, somebody like Aaron Snyder…the guy kills literally dozens of big game animals a year. I like lots of things things about his deal, but that is ridiculous.

You could say that my 162 IG followers make me kind of a big deal.

All jokes aside, I agree with that. There are several reported cases of spoillage from the "industry" and that includes 1000s of discarded waterfowl we find every year here in Saskatchewan during the mogratory bird seasons. Outfitters, clients, influencers, etc, all share a part of the blame when guys are more interested about posting the pictures than the animals themselves.

I’ve notice an offshoot discussion stemming from Matt Rinella’s piece that is really important (she discussed it as well)- people shooting several big game animals per season.

Is it sustainable? Is it ethical? How many is too many?
I think the hunting community will talk more and more about self-imposed limits in the future. What is legal is not always what’s best for the resource. I often feel this way when I’m having a great day fly fishing. “Well I’ve already caught ten fish, do I really need to catch ten more?”
Personally, I only want to shoot what me and my family can eat in one year. I don’t want to be in a position where I’m giving meat away, or feeding it to the dog.

Maybe a different take but here it goes.
- I agree with not sharing the last moments of an animals life if/when a follow up shot is required. I have personally recorded it; but just to remind myself that I need to practice and take better shots. I don’t share it with anyone or anywhere
- Posting on social media about hunting - not my thing; but I don’t have a problem with it. Last I checked - I watch tons of videos on YouTube for entertainment. Most of it is Randy and Steve’s content
- Hunting / Western hunting isn’t getting easier but it’s also probably in its Golden age; technology has drastically shifted. Less and less people are getting outdoors let alone have the patience/stamina to do what it takes to be successful. I’m less concerned with social media leading to over hunting long term
- Hunting content / grip and grins keep hunting out of the shadows. I have nothing to be embarrassed about but I filter that through my own personal filter of what’s respectful to the animal
- Harvesting too much meat - very complicated issue. I hunt multiple states and don’t easily/willingly “Eat tag soup” because I’ve had a successful season. This is a hobby truly enjoy - if I take it legally and share it with friends, neighbors, etc….don’t judge me, b/c I’m not judging you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back