Rinella article.. CUT AND PASTED

So is Hunt Talk exempt (or at least cushioned) from the pitfalls of posting dead animals like Matt describes? Is there something inherently different about a forum as opposed to other social media? I'm honestly not sure. While HT certainly isn't Facebook or Instagram, it's still social media--available for the world to see.

I wrestled with whether or not to post the story of my hunt this year, which did feature a couple pictures of dead animals. I questioned why I should or should not post it. I decided to go ahead and do it, mostly because I really enjoy reading others' stories and seeing others' photos and wanted to contribute, which to me is the big difference between HT and other social media--I think of this place as an actual community. I have few personal friends who hunt, so HT is my hunting community. I spend a lot of time reading here, and have gotten to know the personalities of many of you who post often. I've learned a great deal about hunting and conservation issues and how to be an advocate for the causes I find important. I've become friends with a few people I've met through the forum. I have plans to hunt with a couple of them next year. I don't have FB or Insta or anything else, but I'd wager that the sense of an actual community is something that is largely missing from those other platforms. The knowing and being known.

But I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't something invigorating about seeing the "likes" roll in on things I post here. It can mess with my addictive personality. There have been times where I've caught myself posting things for laughs or likes, that I probably would not have posted were that not a feature of the forum. I'm bothered by and even disgusted with this trait in myself, but it is inherently human. We all want to be recognized and accepted, to be valued. Social media plays on that, hits us right in the dopamine spot, and can be addicting and lead to people doing lots of stupid shit. I'm not exempt. Personally, if I could I'd take the "like" feature away from the forum, I would, even though I use it all the time.
I don't have many friends that hunt, outside of folks from the forum, exactly 3. I share here, legitimately, to share with the only hunting community I've had the opportunity to be a part of... you all are my hunting camp.

The only other place I share is on my IG page... I have like 80 followers, about 50 of which view my stories... 10 or so are forum members. Those 40 though, they are friends that have never touched a gun or a bow, or have any conception of hunting.

They are friends though, and they have a friend who hunts (me)... and not just deer but everything... bears, birds, goats…

My hope is that they put my face to the topic when it comes up, they have a tangible connection to the hunting. When the topic arises they think of my post and not the scene from wedding crashers, or bambi, or whatever.

I caught myself shying away from including posts of dead animals in my post… but I have come to the conclusion that it’s dishonest.

Seems like an honest portrayal is the best way to go…
… also to that end….

Gotta include you missed shots, gotta admit you forgot how to gut a deer 🤦‍♂️.

Idk if I’d call it greed.
Picking up a red is just like making someone laugh irl.
I don’t think it’s greedy, it’s enjoying social interaction.
You don't think so? I've spend a ton of time thinking about this while circling on the tractor. Do you make someone laugh for them or for you?

You don't think so? I've spend a ton of time thinking about this while circling on the tractor. Do you make someone laugh for them or for you?
When you guys make me laugh it makes me happy.
I like to try to return the favor.
I do seek out the feeling of acceptance brought on by making others laugh.

I don't have many friends that hunt, outside of folks from the forum, exactly 3. I share here, legitimately, to share with the only hunting community I've had the opportunity to be a part of... you all are my hunting camp.

The only other place I share is on my IG page... I have like 80 followers, about 50 of which view my stories... 10 or so are forum members. Those 40 though, they are friends that have never touched a gun or a bow, or have any conception of hunting.

They are friends though, and they have a friend who hunts (me)... and not just deer but everything... bears, birds, goats…

My hope is that they put my face to the topic when it comes up, they have a tangible connection to the hunting. When the topic arises they think of my post and not the scene from wedding crashers, or bambi, or whatever.

I caught myself shying away from including posts of dead animals in my post… but I have come to the conclusion that it’s dishonest.

Seems like an honest portrayal is the best way to go…
… also to that end….

Gotta include you missed shots, gotta admit you forgot how to gut a deer 🤦‍♂️.

Can I be one of your insta followers too?

But for real

In general, I think I am in agreement with Matt.

I haven't yet abandoned all social media; obviously since I am here. I got rid of the narcissistic echo chambers a couple years back. Still subscribed to a couple YouTube channels, some are just too entertaining for me to abandon even if they've become influencers and the motivations have become questionable.

So is Hunt Talk exempt (or at least cushioned) from the pitfalls of posting dead animals like Matt describes? Is there something inherently different about a forum as opposed to other social media?

The people on this forum have come here, for the most part, because they believe in Randy's message. Sure, some folks came because they internet searched CO GMU 27 and want to know your honey hole, but they tend not to stick around too long. The members are limited and specific.

My favorite part of Hunt Talk, outside of general hunting/conservation news/education/information, is reading hunting stories. The is also where I most actively contribute ( I subscribe to the entire Live Hunts subforum ). I know the people reading what I am posting are hunters who also love to experience a good hunting story.

Sometimes my stories involve a dead animal. In these cases, it feels relevant, but I suppose not totally necessary, to include the photo.

I found a book while traveling New Zealand about hunting there during the 1940s. It was fascinating. I would be sad if there was no sharing of hunting stories at all.

I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't something invigorating about seeing the "likes" roll in on things I post here.

Despite what I said above, I won't say there aren't times when I am frustrated to see the 6,000 word recap of my recent deer hunt has half a dozen people participating in the thread while someone's grip and grin has 7 pages of replies. Ego can be a real bitch. Sometimes I need to remind myself that I'm writing my stories because I enjoy hunting stories, regardless of how many people actually read them.

Ironically, I've said this same thing to my wife, who likes to write and is far better at it than I, when she gets discouraged at some of the terrible literature that is popular today. If you enjoy writing these stories, what's it matter whether it is popular?

So is Hunt Talk exempt (or at least cushioned) from the pitfalls of posting dead animals like Matt describes? Is there something inherently different about a forum as opposed to other social media? I'm honestly not sure. While HT certainly isn't Facebook or Instagram, it's still social media--available for the world to see.

I wrestled with whether or not to post the story of my hunt this year, which did feature a couple pictures of dead animals. I questioned why I should or should not post it. I decided to go ahead and do it, mostly because I really enjoy reading others' stories and seeing others' photos and wanted to contribute, which to me is the big difference between HT and other social media--I think of this place as an actual community. I have few personal friends who hunt, so HT is my hunting community. I spend a lot of time reading here, and have gotten to know the personalities of many of you who post often. I've learned a great deal about hunting and conservation issues and how to be an advocate for the causes I find important. I've become friends with a few people I've met through the forum. I have plans to hunt with a couple of them next year. I don't have FB or Insta or anything else, but I'd wager that the sense of an actual community is something that is largely missing from those other platforms. The knowing and being known.

But I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't something invigorating about seeing the "likes" roll in on things I post here. It can mess with my addictive personality. There have been times where I've caught myself posting things for laughs or likes, that I probably would not have posted were that not a feature of the forum. I'm bothered by and even disgusted with this trait in myself, but it is inherently human. We all want to be recognized and accepted, to be valued. Social media plays on that, hits us right in the dopamine spot, and can be addicting and lead to people doing lots of stupid shit. I'm not exempt. Personally, if I could I'd take the "like" feature away from the forum, I would, even though I use it all the time.
It isnt only the dopamine from seeing the LIKES come in. There can be a feeling of envy or fear of missing out or jealousy or something else along those lines. Ive felt it. I cant help the feeling, but I am introspective enough to realize what it is. I dont feel it seeing the accomplishments of those I know, rather feeling genuinely happy for my friends, but with those random things the algorithms know to show. Seeing some fishing 'influencer' with a big trout or salmon or some hunting 'influencer' with a pile of grouse - always in either case impeccably photographed - doesnt bring positive feelings. So, Ive chosen to avoid consuming this stuff as a consequence.

I have to imagine similar feelings in those less able to understand them drive different behavior. Not only the desire to go west to hunt, but the willingness to push the envelope, be it borderline legal, borderline ethical, or whatever it may be. Maybe this is just projection on my part.

Somehow, the feeling is far less common on bulletin boards like this. Despite being a relative newcomer on this forum and only meeting a single other member, this still feels like a community. I enjoy the reading hunting recaps and seeing pitchers of peoples accomplishments, and it helps that the pitchers and experiences arent presented in the kindve super glossy, 'plastic' presentation of those 'influencers' on social media.

There I go, using that damn “like” button again. Thanks to the folks who replied to my post, it helped me sort a few things out. One of the coolest parts about HT is the real conversation that happens with (mostly) great people.
"Liked" and in some cases, "Liked" not necessarily in agreement though for the content shared.

"Liked" not due to being a Pom Pom frilly HT member who follows certain people around and finds themselves intimidated to like one who their followed brethren may not... "Like".

"Liked" because - Hey, what's not to "Like" about something of this nature?

"Like" is my universal - nod to the God(s) that the imperfection of others stays far from me though close enough to watch and laugh. :)

Such a "Likeable" website. :)

I "Liked" this...

It’s interesting to consider if social media, i.e. HT, has corrupted my motivation for hunting. I definitely spend more time on my phone, and it is fun to get “likes”. On the upside, I absolutely love the campfire atmosphere. I’ve found my tribe. My favorite things about HT, in no particular order: stories, pictures, inspiration, new friends, networking, learning new things, sharpening skills, news, advocacy.

Hero pics and dead animals are part of the fabric – everyone has varying reasons for posting them, and it’s hard to paint in broad strokes. Matt’s deer-on-the-roof analogy doesn’t really hold up. Personally, I post the kill because I’m happy, excited, grateful, and proud. It’s fun to let others in on the celebration!

OK, Matt. While some guy in Africa was dishing out humble brag about his success, this dude had something else in mind. Seems we haven’t changed all that much, just a new platform.
_0a8bd750-193f-11e8-8f49-ddf93c7ed473.jpg

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back