Rifle you aren't quite happy with

Take the pressure blocks out? If it shoots better great, if not build the pressure blocks back up. Measure height before you remove it that way you know how much to put back in.
I have definitely thought about doing this, some people seem like this helps a ton but there are a few who say it made it worse. I'm wondering if a new stock that's a little more rigid wouldn't possibly help too.

Since 1992 I've shot a Ruger M77 in 7mm rem and it's a tack driver but heavy to lug around in the mountains.
A few years ago I bought an Ultralight Arms 24 in 300 win and it's so much nicer to carry but it's not the tack driver that the Ruger is.
That's the trade off I suppose.

Savage rifles. Good value, shoot well, but all the ones I have owned have inexcusably gritty bolts/actions and actually don't slide into battery if you don't keep the right angle of movement. It is amazing they haven't fixed this or that people haven't stopped buying them -- as all their primary competition seems to have solved it.

No kidding! I've had two Savage rifles, both .22wmr. First I had a 93F that shot great but the magazine feeding and action were absolutely horrendous, and there was no tinkering to fix it. I sold that to a local gunsmith and bought a B22 on sale that shoots lights out and feeds much better. The rotary magazine is a real pain to load though, seems like the magazine design was just not refined that well. Based on these, I won't ever buy another Savage, it's like they just can't quite get everything right at the same time.

I picked up the new rifle yesterday. I think I will take them both to the range soon and shoot them back to back then make my final decision.

I've got a Cody made Ballard Schutzen in 32-40 that was dad's. It's an absolutely gorgeous rifle, and it's lights out accurate, if you're into offhand competition black-powder cartridge match shooting.

I have zero use for it, and it doesn't fit my shoulder in the least. So it's been sitting in the safe since 2013. I hate to sell it, but at this point, I'm thinking that I should.

There's a Model 100 Winchester in the safe that is a tremendously accurate single shot, semi-automatic rifle. I need to get the extractor changed out & replace the firing pin on it, as well as find a pre-64 stock to replace the one I butchered.

The 86 Winchester in 33 WCF needs a full restoration and stock replacement as well. Shoots great, but there's something going on with the firing pin & primer flow regardless of powder charge that needs to be worked out as well.

I've got a Cody made Ballard Schutzen in 32-40 that was dad's. It's an absolutely gorgeous rifle, and it's lights out accurate, if you're into offhand competition black-powder cartridge match shooting.

I have zero use for it, and it doesn't fit my shoulder in the least. So it's been sitting in the safe since 2013. I hate to sell it, but at this point, I'm thinking that I should.

There's a Model 100 Winchester in the safe that is a tremendously accurate single shot, semi-automatic rifle. I need to get the extractor changed out & replace the firing pin on it, as well as find a pre-64 stock to replace the one I butchered.

The 86 Winchester in 33 WCF needs a full restoration and stock replacement as well. Shoots great, but there's something going on with the firing pin & primer flow regardless of powder charge that needs to be worked out as well.
FIX that BALLARD! whatever it takes. Rebarrel, restock, it's not a major project to get it running.

that 86 Winchester - https://www.precisiongunstocks.com/contents/en-us/d1.html
It will take you 1 NFL game to fit that buttstock to your rifle. Sounds like your rifle's bolt needs to be bushed. Probably not a big job. There is a guy in Michigan I could dig out for you. He would fix that Ballard too.

No kidding! I've had two Savage rifles, both .22wmr. First I had a 93F that shot great but the magazine feeding and action were absolutely horrendous, and there was no tinkering to fix it. I sold that to a local gunsmith and bought a B22 on sale that shoots lights out and feeds much better. The rotary magazine is a real pain to load though, seems like the magazine design was just not refined that well. Based on these, I won't ever buy another Savage, it's like they just can't quite get everything right at the same time.
I've heard of guys selling their Axis' because the bolt doesn't lock and would misfire if it wasn't all the way down.

FIX that BALLARD! whatever it takes. Rebarrel, restock, it's not a major project to get it running.

that 86 Winchester - https://www.precisiongunstocks.com/contents/en-us/d1.html
It will take you 1 NFL game to fit that buttstock to your rifle. Sounds like your rifle's bolt needs to be bushed. Probably not a big job. There is a guy in Michigan I could dig out for you. He would fix that Ballard too.

The Ballard could be rehomed to someone who will love it much more than I, and would keep it in it's original condition, which is sublime. I simply have no desire for the firearm, and if I can turn that into 2 British doubles, then I think that's a good outcome, and dad would approve. It's taken me years to finally convince myself of this, so stop being unhelpful! :D

I've been looking at the precision stocks, but it's all pretty bland walnut offerings.

The Ballard could be rehomed to someone who will love it much more than I, and would keep it in it's original condition, which is sublime. I simply have no desire for the firearm, and if I can turn that into 2 British doubles, then I think that's a good outcome, and dad would approve. It's taken me years to finally convince myself of this, so stop being unhelpful! :D

I've been looking at the precision stocks, but it's all pretty bland walnut offerings.
Well, if you are going to sell it, you could try the ASSRA forums. But you need to be a member to post, I think. That's where the Schuetzen ballards will go. Another is BPCR.net which I could post for you.

The precision stocks are pretty bland, so not the ticket if you want an higher grade rifle in the final restoration. I used them on my Marlin 1895 though. YOu could order something from TreeBones for instance, but costs much more and much more fitting involved. There are others too.

You might ask Steve Durren about anything that needs doing on your Winchester - his reputation is stellar. I don't know him really well, but have shot with him at Alma a couple of times. Seems like a great guy.

Never had a rifle I couldn't live with but I did have a shotgun I couldn't live with. Charles-Daly semi-automatic 12 ga. The locking bolt assembly broke in half 3 times. Third time it happened I had it repaired I sold it. That gun was a POS.

Skinny barrels won’t shoot more than a few rounds before they start flinging them all over the place. If you need or want the rifle to do better than that, then by all means, change the rifle or get something else.

Tinker or sell? Depends on your interest in paying a good gunsmith to put a custom barrel on that thing, and replace the stock with one that can handle a heavier contour barrel, and then be left with a rifle whose resale value is likely much lower than what you put into it. It may be the best rifle you ever own, but it could take quite a bit of time and money to get it running. On the other hand you could buy a Tikka, Christensen, Bergara, Nosler, or possibly even Howa with a heavier contour barrel that will most likely shoot really well, and while it might cost a little more than going semi-custom, you could buy it almost immediately and sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Savage rifles. Good value, shoot well, but all the ones I have owned have inexcusably gritty bolts/actions and actually don't slide into battery if you don't keep the right angle of movement. It is amazing they haven't fixed this or that people haven't stopped buying them -- as all their primary competition seems to have solved it.

In 2011 I bought a Remington 700 CDL left handed in 300RUM. It's about 7.5lbs without a scope. I put 26 rounds through it out of the 120 that I bought. The recoil of that rifle made me hate it. It's still sitting in the safe, waiting on me to finally sell it.

A custom 300 WSM from a highly regarded builder. whom I won't mention. Built around a 300 Short Action Rem 700 action, Benchmark Barrel, High Tech Bansner stock, VX6 2x12 Firedot CDS. Very accurate with 180 Accubonds.

Sub 8lbs field ready.

But...it will not cycle with 2 down....drives me nuts. Sent it back & it returned with dremel scars on the follower and still won't cycle. It's the most expensive rifle in the safe & I have a mental block with it.

I supplied the action so I'm not blaming the smith.

Rem 788 .308 , I aluminum insert pillar it @ home , nice free float
it shoots light out , had a savage axis once I fixed the trigger and replaced the cheap stock was respectable but still iffy on accuracy but huntable to 300 , it hit the road for the Remington

788 @ 100 meters Norma 150gr 1st is left, other 3 after adjusting = perfect FDC0DA36-93AC-406F-8363-D56BBBEA39B9.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Christiansen MPR in 6.5 creedmore. 1/2 to 3/4 moa with everything I’ve loaded for it. I’m just not warming up to the Chasis system. Just decided to get rid of it after reading through this. Make me an offer :)

I’ve been having trouble out of my Rem 700 30-06 ADL. It’s a gun I’ve owned for thirty years and just can’t part with it. I’ve ordered a magpul stock, magazine and trigger guard. I’ve replaced the factory trigger with a Timney Trigger. I’m hoping to get at least a one inch group 100 yards.

Last edited:

If you have brass for that 32-40 I'm in the market and willing to pay more than its worth.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back