Rifle you aren't quite happy with

Gojo03

I have finally ordered another 308 to replace my Remington 700 Mountain that I am not in love with anymore. The question is when you have a rifle that doesn't do it for you anymore, do you tinker with it or send it down the road? The rifle is light and shoots great on a cold bore but heats up with a couple shots, way faster than any other rifle I own, making range trips a hassle.

I have finally ordered another 308 to replace my Remington 700 Mountain that I am not in love with anymore. The question is when you have a rifle that doesn't do it for you anymore, do you tinker with it or send it down the road? The rifle is light and shoots great on a cold bore but heats up with a couple shots, way faster than any other rifle I own, making range trips a hassle.
It’s a mountain rifle, not a range rifle. Don’t expect more out of a pencil barrel than what it can give you.

If you want a range rifle rebarrel it to a heavier contour.

Wholly agree with Addicting!

I've been having issues with my Mauser in 284 Win.
After checking numerous things (action screws, stock contact, base, rings, different scope, letting a friend shoot it) i've come to find i'm having issues with my dies.
They end up being between a 6.5-284 & 270-284.

Most of my ultralight Rifles will send the third round at random if I fire a "quick" group. Couple minute cool down between shots keeps things tight round after round. I do have an X-Bolt compact in 7mm-08 that, since new, shoots groups that resemble buckshot. Threw that back in the safe, and haven't quite decided what to do with it yet.

It’s a mountain rifle, not a range rifle. Don’t expect more out of a pencil barrel than what it can give you.

If you want a range rifle rebarrel it to a heavier contour.
I understand the concept, that's why I ordered something else. I just can't decide if I should start hacking away at it to make it something I would like better or pass it on to someone who will appreciate it's attributes more

For me, if I loved every single thing about the rifle, except the accuracy, I’d mess with it. If there was many things I didn’t like, and the accuracy issue was the tipping point, down the road it would go.

I have a Kimber Montana 300 WSM that I really like but the accuracy is not where I want it. My good friend has the same gun and it is a tack driver. I have considered sending down the road, but in my head if I can do something to make it a shooter it would be my perfect gun for elk. If I can't trust a gun when shooting an animal then why have it?

Savage rifles. Good value, shoot well, but all the ones I have owned have inexcusably gritty bolts/actions and actually don't slide into battery if you don't keep the right angle of movement. It is amazing they haven't fixed this or that people haven't stopped buying them -- as all their primary competition seems to have solved it.

I have a Remington 788 in .243 that I have a tough time closing the bolt on a round in the chamber. I’m going to have my gun guy check it out for me.

Tikka T3x synthetic stock 7rem mag . Shot my 308 20 rounds smiling the whole time yesterday . Shot that shoulder sledgehammer 6 times and left the range lol

I have a Kimber Montana 300 WSM that I really like but the accuracy is not where I want it. My good friend has the same gun and it is a tack driver. I have considered sending down the road, but in my head if I can do something to make it a shooter it would be my perfect gun for elk. If I can't trust a gun when shooting an animal then why have it?
Find out the torque specs on the stock and tighten accordingly. My friend did that and his groups shrank tremendously.

Pretty sure I have the world's only Sako 85 that shoots patterns instead of groups. I'm done building loads for it. It's out of warranty, so I'm putting a Carbon Six barrel on it and a custom stock if I can find one. Everything will be new except for the action. Going to be my first bolt rifle build, so should be a fun experience.

Check to see if the magazine box is sitting too high in the magazine well. If it is too high, a bit of work with a file on the bottom of the box should help. I believe that this is a problem with many Montana rifles. I have seen Kimber's that could be made to shoot, and some that nothing seems to help.

Check to see if the magazine box is sitting too high in the magazine well. If it is too high, a bit of work with a file on the bottom of the box should help. I believe that this is a problem with many Montana rifles. I have seen Kimber's that could be made to shoot, and some that nothing seems to help.
Ruger 77s too.

If one of my rifles does not shoot I send it down the road. No point in wasting time and components. That being said look at what the rifle is and what you should expect, I had a Ruger #1 in 7x57 Mauser that would guarantee a 1.25" group, I sold it and have regreted it ever since.

Find out the torque specs on the stock and tighten accordingly. My friend did that and his groups shrank tremendously.
Yes already have done that. It is just frustrating when I have other rifles at half the cost that will shoot much better.

I have heard of that and bedding the action to clear up the problem. Thank you for the recommendation.

I have a weatherby vanguard 7mag. My brother drunkenly bought me a token at a RMEF banquet and I happened to win on it. I like the rifle but I went through so many types of ammo and Finally found one that grouped ok. But because of that stupid pressure point instead of a free floated barrel any time I put a bipod in it the POI changes and it groups like crap. Because of the circumstance of acquiring the gun I will never get rid of it, just wish it shot better.

I have a weatherby vanguard 7mag. My brother drunkenly bought me a token at a RMEF banquet and I happened to win on it. I like the rifle but I went through so many types of ammo and Finally found one that grouped ok. But because of that stupid pressure point instead of a free floated barrel any time I put a bipod in it the POI changes and it groups like crap. Because of the circumstance of acquiring the gun I will never get rid of it, just wish it shot better.
Take the pressure blocks out? If it shoots better great, if not build the pressure blocks back up. Measure height before you remove it that way you know how much to put back in.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back