Rifle scopes?

Yes, you should pick the fixed power that suits your hunting. I still hunt the timber 100% of the time. The 4X is perfect for that, but on occasion they'll be a park, or alley in the timber that requires a longer shot. Longer to me is 150yds. I've never had to take a longer shot than that with the majority closer than 100yds.

btw The DOW claims 90% of elk are killed at less then 150yds.

The biggest plus that I have seen for a variable scope, is that when sighting in, it can be cranked up so that you can get exact holds on your target more easily. Shooting elk at 300 yards with a fixed scope would be no problem.

The fixed will allow you to worry about other things than what power you are on. They do negate the range-finding technology, though, if that is what you want. A 3x9, 3x10 and that class of scope, really is a dependable scope and gives you a bit more flexibility in use. In fact, I have read tests where the variables proved to be every bit as durable as the fixed.

It comes down to personal preference, but just don't go the cheap route. I would rather have a cheap rifle and expensive scope than the other way around.

Does anyone have experience with the CDS system on the Leuoplods? Beneficial or just adding another step that could leave you open for a mistake?
Hearing that you have a Tasco with crappy mounts on a gun you want to take out west makes me cringe. The CDS is a great system, you should consider it as it is not complex and is effective. It is good to have the equipment that suits a longer shot if the situation arises even if you think you may not need it most of the time. Most shots I take in the west are under 200 yards but there has been times I am glad I was able to take that cross canyon shot a couple of times. I have a couple recommendations for you. Both will be light years ahead of the Tasco. The VX-2 should fit in your budget at the price I quoted.
The VX-2 3-9X40mm CDS Model 120611 $310.00 shipped
The VX-3 4.5-14X40mm CDS model 120603 $505.00 shipped
PM me if you have any questions or want any other prices.

Last edited:
My opinion, having just come back from the range with my 45+ year old Savage .308/Weaver scope combo, also on flip mounts, you'll be just fine at that 300 yard limit. I would suggest some range time to see what you have however, then, if the gun shoots, you can add some optics. I you decide on optics, schmalts can set you up with a decent pkg.

Last edited:
I have never had problems with any vortex optic I have used. They have some cheaper options for hunters on a budget. My friend runs an outfitting shop that sells vortex and he sells a boatload of them. Plus they still have the lifetime warranty.

Schmalts will fix your issues. I would vote for vx 2 in a 3X9 by 40. Hard to beat that for the money and it will be a major upgrade.

This is all great advice. Then there's that moment when a bull is thirty yards from you and you can't pick him up in your scope. I've had my brother tell me many times he wished he had his open sighted 30-30 with him.:D

This is all great advice. Then there's that moment when a bull is thirty yards from you and you can't pick him up in your scope. I've had my brother tell me many times he wished he had his open sighted 30-30 with him.:D

I shot an elk at 10 yards with a scoped rifle.

I shot an elk at 10 yards with a scoped rifle.

I was just pointing out that everything is not perfect in hunting. I hope he finds a scope that he likes. My favorite scope I own is a 20 year old Burris Fullfield 4-12x40. Then again it may be the tack driver it's attached to.:)

I am a big fan of leupold. I put a VX-3 3X9X40 on my .270 three years ago. It has the CDS system and in my experience it works. The last two years on Mule Deer and Elk 350 yd. shots. Just dial up the yardage and let it fly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back