Rifle hunter turned archery hunter

Rooster52

For 50 plus years I have always been a rifle hunter but in my older age I have turned to archery hunting. Better weather,less competition,and can hunt the rutt..
Just lucky at my age to be able to go.

I also do some archery hunting for deer, but for the most part I am a rifle hunter because I like to eat what I hunt. I for one have not yet developed the skills to count on getting anything with a bow.

I quit bow hunting in 78' and still use the tactics to this day.
I just like a successful recovery and a filled tag.

With more and more states allowing the use of the crossbow.Archery is changing.

Last edited:
With more and more states allowing the use of the crossbow,I hear a lot of people taking up archery that never did before. Our local shop said that last fall crossbows out sold compound bows 2 to 1.
Lets not open that can of worms when we compare archery to crossbows.

I was a bowhunting fanatic in the 80's and 90's. Didn't have as much too bowhunt in the 2000 decade. Now, at 65 yrs. old, retired in Colorado, I'm going back to bowhunting Elk. Much of it has to do with the common reasons. Long season, beautiful time to be packed in with the horses, hunting the rut, and less hunting competition/pressure. My biggest worry is scent control.

I do it all-archery, mz, center-fire. I can hunt deer from September 1 through mid-January in one form or another. It is all about the freezer for me.

For 50 plus years I have always been a rifle hunter but in my older age I have turned to archery hunting. Better weather,less competition,and can hunt the rutt..
Just lucky at my age to be able to go.

I've been thinking the same thing. Late season elk hunting can be brutal with deep snow and below zero temps. I'm no spring chicken either. I've been thinking of getting a crossbow as well, as arthritis in my shoulders rules out a traditional bow. The weather in September in Wyoming is wonderful for the most part. And September is the rut. What's not to like.I don't know about less competition though, there seems to be a lot of bowhunters these days.

i am making the conversion myself after this season with my dad im done and will be archery only but i wont pass on hunting with my pops and he is a gun guy only

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back