Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Rifle for hunting with a suppressor

For under 400 yards I’d go sub 20” without hesitation. It’ll kill anything you point it at. Buy whatever rifle you like best and chop it down
Agreed, a little velocity neutering is not such a big deal out to moderate range. Edited to add, if I was keeping under 400 I'd have gone 18" for sure. Still went 6/6 at 700yd gong the other day in a little breeze lobbing hopes and dreams out of a 20" hamstrung creed, heaven forbid.
Barrett Fieldcraft would be a near perfect factory solution for the OP if they weren't so crazy expensive on the used market.

Last edited:
It’s got a version of the accustock so completely adjustable lop and cheek ht with different inserts but I like it as it came from the factory so I haven’t messed with it. Think I’m going to post it in the classifieds section, great gun, super accurate, just not something I think will get much use. We got the custom gun build bug and have fallen in to that rabbit hole as of late. Having a hard time convincing the wife to sign off on another high end scope so think I’m gonna turn this toward that.

If you do end up moving it I may be interested. Let me know

If you do end up moving it I may be interested. Let me know

For range sessions, a can might make some sense, however a pair of muffs worn over ear plugs should provide all the protection anyone would ever need. In the field I rarely take more than one shot per animal per year with my rifle. The damage to my hearing while actually hunting big game is minimal. My shotgun, on the other hand, has undoubtedly done a lot of damage over the years. But hunting birds with plugs or muffs ear protection is not only unproductive, it's not very safe. I should have went with baffled plugs but they were either not around yet or too expensive for a working man with a family to afford ... back in the days when both limitations applied. I blame my hearing loss mostly on years of running a jackhammer at the aluminum plant. Surprised I'm not totally deaf.

The one day I had to borrow a rifle in Africa, the option of one with a can was made and I declined. My PH was fine with that. His backup gun didn't wear one either. I can understand why some PHs might prefer clients use them because they have to endure a high volume of clients shooting right next to them. But I find they are just too awkward to use in the field. I know what a pain in the ass my 31" barrel shotgun can be hunting uplands in relatively open country. Tracking big game through heavy cover with something like that would be a nightmare.

I can't remember ever taking a shot outside of hunting without ear protection, and I have noticable hearing damage.

I agree that at the range a can means less, but in the field is a direction I want to move towards

I've been in the process of the same exact project. I have a tikka roughtech in 300wsm that is threaded from the factory, but at 24" its too long. (Maybe the 308 in the roughtech would have a shorter barrel??) Savage has a couple decent options as well as bergara if ok with a 308 or 6.5cm. However the best option appears to be the winchester Xpr SR. 20" barrel in numerous calibers including magnums. They also have it in a stealth sr that has just a 16.5" barrel, however you will want to be cautious of your suppressor's ratings once you get down that short. That said I have never handled an xpr let alone the Sr version. I would guess they are decent but hard to say for certain what you'll get.

I've been in the process of the same exact project. I have a tikka roughtech in 300wsm that is threaded from the factory, but at 24" its too long. (Maybe the 308 in the roughtech would have a shorter barrel??) Savage has a couple decent options as well as bergara if ok with a 308 or 6.5cm. However the best option appears to be the winchester Xpr SR. 20" barrel in numerous calibers including magnums. They also have it in a stealth sr that has just a 16.5" barrel, however you will want to be cautious of your suppressor's ratings once you get down that short. That said I have never handled an xpr let alone the Sr version. I would guess they are decent but hard to say for certain what you'll get.
'Twer I in your shoes, I'd have the Tikka barrel shortened and threaded before buying another rifle just for a shorter, threaded barrel.

For those concerned about length, be sure to look at suppressors of the reflex design. Some of the length is back over the barrel. Like this for example:

'Twer I in your shoes, I'd have the Tikka barrel shortened and threaded before buying another rifle just for a shorter, threaded barrel.

For those concerned about length, be sure to look at suppressors of the reflex design. Some of the length is back over the barrel. Like this for example:

$600 + tax. Ouch!

You must not be too aware of centerfire suppressor prices...
Yep. With just one or two shots per year at deer a suppressor is not something that would make a big difference to my hearing in the long run. A very big difference to the pocketbook though. And I never notice the recoil when I'm hunting. However, given my fragile retinas, reduced recoil MIGHT have been helpful (though none of the detachments or tears occurred during rifle season). But again, how much of a threat to my retinas is one or two shots a year? I had to make some adjustments with my shotgun because I shoot it a lot more (+2K rounds per year at the range and +2 months in the field per season hunting almost every day). Gave up my shoulder pounding 870 Wingmaster Magnum pump for a Browning A5 Magnum Twelve. Best recoil reduction available is the reason I picked the heaviest twelve gauge auto ever made. Of course at the range I wear ear protection (it's the law here). I could have and should have done something about ear protection in the field. Baffled ear plugs seemed expensive but clearly a mere pittance compared to supressor prices.

Most people suffer hearing loss due to genetics. My late wife who died in an MVA ten years ago was almost stone deaf at age 49 and I don't think she fired a gun a half dozen times in her life. She was a cartographer and the sound of pen scratching on paper didn't cause her hearing loss either. Genetic hearing loss can certainly be aggravated by environmental factors. But I have a hard time believing a couple shots a year from my 30-06 without a supressor is going to make that much difference.

Oh I've got plans for the tikka, I just want a lower recoiling plinking and deer gun as well. In hindsight I should have bought a regular tikka instead of spending the extra cash to get one that was threaded from the factory. If only they would sell just the actions 🙄

Yep. With just one or two shots per year at deer a suppressor is not something that would make a big difference to my hearing in the long run. A very big difference to the pocketbook though. And I never notice the recoil when I'm hunting. However, given my fragile retinas, reduced recoil MIGHT have been helpful (though none of the detachments or tears occurred during rifle season). But again, how much of a threat to my retinas is one or two shots a year? I had to make some adjustments with my shotgun because I shoot it a lot more (+2K rounds per year at the range and +2 months in the field per season hunting almost every day). Gave up my shoulder pounding 870 Wingmaster Magnum pump for a Browning A5 Magnum Twelve. Best recoil reduction available is the reason I picked the heaviest twelve gauge auto ever made. Of course at the range I wear ear protection (it's the law here). I could have and should have done something about ear protection in the field. Baffled ear plugs seemed expensive but clearly a mere pittance compared to supressor prices.

Most people suffer hearing loss due to genetics. My late wife who died in an MVA ten years ago was almost stone deaf at age 49 and I don't think she fired a gun a half dozen times in her life. She was a cartographer and the sound of pen scratching on paper didn't cause her hearing loss either. Genetic hearing loss can certainly be aggravated by environmental factors. But I have a hard time believing a couple shots a year from my 30-06 without a supressor is going to make that much difference.
You're the best

Very happy with my Xbolt Max Long Range. VERY. I was able to harvest 12 animals this past year with it. Shots ranged from 75 to 330. Most were prone, a couple were offhand unsupported and one off my triggerstick tripod. It's a tad heavier than "mountain rifles" but I carry mine on my pack, so the extra 8oz isn't an issue.

I am sure that a forum won't give you enough information about the perfect scope. I am sure the best thing you have to do is enter some sites selling them and read the product's description before buying it. I am sure that you must choose carefully as their importance while hunting is too high. I will choose the products from ballachy.com because I have hunted my whole life when it comes to my preferences. I strongly believe that the only way you could have a decent hunt and be pleased by it is by using your favorite products.

Last edited:
A great option for suppressed rifle shooting is . 300 AAC Blackout. The Blackout is the result of military brass looking for a subsonic caliber that could be effectively suppressed but packed a solid punch for close-range combat. The 5.56 NATO cartridge and its civilian cousin, the .

No offense, but if you think a 300blk is a good option for hunting out to 400yds you don't know what you are talking about.
The 300blk is a great suppressed range gun with subs. But it is not a big game cartridge in any way.

I ended up going with the savage ultralight in 6.5cm.

If I were to pay for a suppressor (I plan to eventually), I would go with a heavy caliber like a 300 Win mag or 7 mm 08 Mag so you don't lose as much distance when the barrel is cut down to 20 or 18". With a brake, my son's 7 mag shoots like a light-kicking .243, but it is loud.

From my gunsmith, he explained that as the barrel gets shorter, the ignition sequence doesn't spend as much time pushing the bullet through the barrel.

If I were to pay for a suppressor (I plan to eventually), I would go with a heavy caliber like a 300 Win mag or 7 mm 08 Mag so you don't lose as much distance when the barrel is cut down to 20 or 18". With a brake, my son's 7 mag shoots like a light-kicking .243, but it is loud.

From my gunsmith, he explained that as the barrel gets shorter, the ignition sequence doesn't spend as much time pushing the bullet through the barrel.
Why would you cut the barrel?

I haven’t checked mine yet on a Chrono, but I was told to expect to gain muzzle velocity with the added length of the suppressor.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back