Rifle Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice for 2023

280 Ackley 160 accubonds. Though I may play around with some hammers this year. Bridger Wilderness WY

Hmmm...I do have a NV bull tag for this year. :giggle:
I'll use the same 7mm Mag I've been shooting for the past 40+ years. Ammo? I'll probably use the tried and true 175 grain Core-Lokt ammo but I also have 4 boxes of 140 grain Nosler Accubond ammo. I know it works on deer but is it enough for a bull? This will most likely be the last bull I shoot.
Back-up rifle will be a .270 with 150 grain Nosler partitions.

Was thinking about taking my 1980's M70 Winchester 30-06, but went to the range this morning for some "practice". A few shots through my Tikka 7 Rem Mag reminded me why it will be in the truck this fall. The Tikka loves 160 gr Federal with Nosler Partitions or TSX.

I know, I know, I know, another elk rifle piece. I wanted to log the first choice(and only choice) of the rifle caliber and bullet choice you plan to use on this year's rifle elk hunt. A limit of 400 yards is set. And what state will you be hunting in? So here I go:

35 Whelen using a hand loaded 225 gr Nosler AB, Hunting Colorado's 1st Rifle Season
Home state MB, Savage 110 270 Win, Sierra Gamechanger 140. What gun do you have in 35 Whelen?

Montana Mule Deer: Christensen Carbon Classic 300 WinMag, Hornady ELD-X 220 gr
Indiana Deer: Weatherby 308, Nosler Accubond 180 gr

Four pages of thread and where’s that guy? No specific person, but that guy who always shows up on threads like this with “243, 30-30… been dropping elk for me since 1978.”

Probably I’m gonna shoot another bull with a 7 rm and a 168 vld, it will die, statistically where it stands. If I’m feeling frisky I might bring out the prc and 156’s again. Who knows might even get a wild hair and send one of those solids everyone is talking about out of my 30-06 at something.

Tikka 300 wm with Berger 185 juggernauts wife will be shooting her Tikka 6.5 creedmmor with 130 TMK again this season....

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back