Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

rifle carrying set up and ultra light tarp.

BrentD

Having just ordered a new pack, I am now trying to decide on how to carry my rifle. I normally have a laced on leather shoulder sling - my rifles are a little different.

Thinking of a Kifaru gun bearer, but any other recommendations. If I use the Kifaru and do not wrap around the scope, will it want to twist? When I use a scope, it is an external mount scope - Unertl - that I would not like to torque with a strap like that.

Also thinking of an ultralight tarp for shade and dry when glassing. This seems extravagant for mulies but talk me out of it, or into it, as the case may be. With my new pack being 3# lighter than the old one, I feel I can splurge.

I bought the Kifaru gun bearer. I use only the saddle portion that holds the stock and strap the forend to my pack (seems that my muzzle is always flagging someones head when it's under my arm lol). Works better for me as normally the only time I'm hiking with the gun is before sunrise and after sunset so getting to it ultra quickly isnt an issue.

Has anyone used the K gun bearer on the bottom end with a rifle's normal sling over the shoulder (maybe with a stud or keeper on your pack's shoulder strap? I've manufactured something like this for a few years. Sorta worked but would come off occasionally and suddenly when bending over. Maybe better with the Kifaru bucket on the bottom.

Has anyone used the K gun bearer on the bottom end with a rifle's normal sling over the shoulder (maybe with a stud or keeper on your pack's shoulder strap? I've manufactured something like this for a few years. Sorta worked but would come off occasionally and suddenly when bending over. Maybe better with the Kifaru bucket on the bottom.
I’ve done that when I’m in a rush and don’t have time to strap it all down. Works pretty good.

I use a rain fly from a cheap 2 man tent as my light weight tarp. Didn't cost anything and it already had short bunji cords on the corners. Keeps me dry or out of the sun. I have found multiple uses for the rain fly.

Having just ordered a new pack, I am now trying to decide on how to carry my rifle. I normally have a laced on leather shoulder sling - my rifles are a little different.

Thinking of a Kifaru gun bearer, but any other recommendations. If I use the Kifaru and do not wrap around the scope, will it want to twist? When I use a scope, it is an external mount scope - Unertl - that I would not like to torque with a strap like that.

Also thinking of an ultralight tarp for shade and dry when glassing. This seems extravagant for mulies but talk me out of it, or into it, as the case may be. With my new pack being 3# lighter than the old one, I feel I can splurge.
I have similar situation as the OP. I recently purchased a MR Pop Up 38 and I'm looking for rifle carry options as well. Will be following.

I've not had any issues with the Gunbearer and I do not put the top strap around the scope. Mine's around the barrel/forend ahead of the scope.

I typically don’t use a sling anymore after using a gun barer and having my rifle secure and hands free it’s hard to go back to that janky mess.

"janky mess" Love it.

I'm going to have to experiment a bit before I five up that janky mess, but it would be nice to do without it. On the other hand, if I drop the pack for whatever reason, then I don't have a sling at all. Maybe that's okay. In any event, it looks like a Kifaru Gun bearer is the hands down favorite, so I'll check that off my list next.

That leaves the tarp thing... I'm thinking that's probably just a luxury I don't really need.
But who doesn't like a life of luxury? decisions, decisions.

I've been using my tent footprint as a tarp for a bivy camp and for glassing. I just put some extra Paracord at the corners and it seems to work fine. I wouldn't rely on it and leave the bivy at home, but its definitely nicer than getting rained on. It is probably as lightweight and cheap as you can get.

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_063437.jpg
    IMG_20200724_063437.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 25
In my experience, the GunBearer is better than the MR competitor, but if you want to retain a gun strap the MR would probably work better for you. Or go with one of the elastic slings (that are my preference anyway, http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html) and keep it short. As for scope, I have never wrapped over scope. With some rifles it carries scope up and others scope down, depends on the geometry of the rifle and my pack and works fine both ways (just more comfortable in the particular orientation).

This is my normal sling set up on my current deer/antelope rifle. I'm thinkining it won't be a problem.
GCy1g40.jpg

I wrap the top strap of the GB around the barrel/forearm/sling just below the sling stud. Holds it tight and I think it keeps it from rotating. I use a Montana sling, so keep it snugged up a bit but still have it in case I drop my pack.

I have an alps commander with a bottom ”bucket”. I sewed a length of velcro to my shoulder strap to strap the barrel down. I can have it shouldered in about 2 seconds.

I just got the Caribou Gear meat tarp. Pretty lightweight. Have not used it as a shelter yet, though.

Current thread on rifle carrying ideas.

I just got the Caribou Gear meat tarp. Pretty lightweight. Have not used it as a shelter yet, though.
These are great little tarps from Caribou, I picked one up in September and haven't used it for shelter purposes but it's awesome for keeping meat and your pack clean! For a little more shelter space and something you could actually sleep under the Seek Outside DST tarp is a good choice...

Used the gunbearer this year for the first time - wish I had known of it long ago. Won't work with my flintlock (44" bbl, a loooong rifle), but was great with my '06 this year. I really like being able to use trekking poles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back