Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Revenant

I saw it, wanted to like it but as Oak said I couldn't get past the whole disconnect between the film and "science and nature". I didn't expect it to be a documentary but I do expect even fiction to be believable and there were so many scenes that were so far past believable that I could not stay engaged. When I find myself laughing at a scene that is supposed to be dramatic, the director has gone too far. The trappers with the exception of Fitzgerald and Glass came across more as dumb a$$ then bad a$$. The scenery was beautifull but the cuts that went from one season to another and from the center of the Rockies to the plains and back in what was supposed to be a single sequence were also just too jarring to follow.

Saw it yesterday.
Good movie, stunning scenery, brutal action.
It was extremely realistic, compared to Star Wars or X-men.
It’s a Hollywood movie, don’t expect too much accuracy.
I really enjoyed the sound of elk in the background for the first hour.

Yeah, I realize I am not the target audience for Hollywood movies. If I had seen the movie when I was stuck in town I would have been able to sit back and escape for the 2.5 hours of the movie. I now spend at least 20 hours a week very week in the outdoors and the disconnect was just too much for me to enjoy the movie as much as I wanted. Leonardo and whomever played Fitzgerald did an incredible job. Fitzgerald was one of the better screen villains I. Have seen I n a while. I wanted him dead with minutes of him first opening his mouth.

As a guy who hunts with flintlocks and has a dog named Henry (after Andrew Henry), I've been looking forward to this movie ever since I heard about it. I still want to be a mountain man when I grow up but at 52 years old I'm running out of time. These 2 hours may be as close as I get. I've set my expectations low though.

I plan on watching it this week. I didn't like the way the book ended. I was told by a friend who's seen it that that ending is better than the book and that I will like the movie better.

I enjoyed it. The boar were strange. Maybe not wild? Maybe brought into that camp as domestics and left after the slaughter? Seemed totally out of place. The mountains of bison skulls did not seem period correct. I know Indians piled elk sheds but I've never heard of them doing that with bison skulls. Anybody? I don't recall him having a son on the trip. Or seeing anyone on his trip out. But it's Hollywood. It seemed the elk, bison and wolves were CGI.

I tried to remember the story could have taken place over a month or two, and weather can change, as well as elevations, so that could account for some things which seemed out of line.

As to hypothermia and the cold in general? Well, from personal experience, I think it's entirely possible for him to have done what happened in the movie (river, etc.).

I'd give the movie an 8 out of 10. I intend to go see it again, with my son, on a bigger screen and with a better sound system and during the day in the middle of the week when fewer people are around. I saw it today in one of those smaller, older, Indie type theaters.

Life is hard. It's harder when you are Hugh Glass.

Problem is it's based on the wrong book they should've based it on the book "Lord Grizzly" by Frederick Manfred. A great book from a man who did most of his work in Luvern MN. The Manfred family is a bit disappointed in all the hype the movie is getting while everyone is forgetting Frederick. So if you want a good read check out the book above.

I haven't seen it but I'm guessing the bison skull scene is based off an old black and white photo of a giant pile of bison skulls. It is real and you can see the photo if you tour the Charlie Russell museum in Great Falls, MT.

I haven't seen it but I'm guessing the bison skull scene is based off an old black and white photo of a giant pile of bison skulls. It is real and you can see the photo if you tour the Charlie Russell museum in Great Falls, MT.

I've seen photos like that but they are from a different era, during and after the great slaughter. I'm wondering if the Indians did this back in the early 1800s, maybe as a ritual, or like the elk shed piles.

If he would survived the slush ice river run (and that's a big "if") swimming with the soggy bear hide would have done him in. The good thing was once he washed up on shore he was able to keep the bear hide from freezing.

I was pretty let down by this one. I had high hopes, and it was so far from realistic I was having a hard time staying interested. I will admit that the acting was great, but the things he went through made it a little tough to take serious for me.

I saw the show last night. I liked it but I had to shut my BS meter off as I too caught the major scene changes and issues with people being in the cold when wet. And flintlocks going of when wet. However I really enjoyed the acting by Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy and that kept me interested.

Star Wars will be watched later this week before it leaves the theater.

I need to go see this, but can tell be the trailer they totally Hollywoodized the story. I read the book and thought it was excellent.

I need to go see this, but can tell be the trailer they totally Hollywoodized the story. I read the book and thought it was excellent.

Don't let the nit pickers deter you...it's better than 99% of the crap that hollyweird excretes these days.

Go see it. It is a good movie just don't take it too seriously. It's 95% fiction based on some truth. If Hollywood didn't do their thing nobody would watch it. A lot of people I have spoken to about it did not even know there was some truth behind it.

I finally got to it. Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun. Intense. Amazing cinematography and good-nuff acting, especially by the bear. Of course, you had to forget every thing you know about biology, geography, history, human physiology, the locations of Highways 2 and 93. But aside from that... it made me feel like a wuss for whining about crossing a slushy parking lot on the way to the theater. Left me with a few questions. Why do elk bugle during spring runoff? What is the R-value of a dead Appaloosa? How did he load that pistol so damn fast while running from the Arikara?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back