Returned to see if my Colorado buck was still tied to a tree

Hope you found a nice replacement, I saw a few nice bucks out there last week, surprisingly a few were still sporting velvet.

"Pictures. License/tag numbers. Turn em in." I agree with that. If hunters don't hold each other accountable, then rules (important ones that preserve wild places) won't be enforced. It's too much to expect the few game wardens that cover thousands of acres to catch every scoff law.

Thanks for posting. This has made me think about what I'd do if I saw a 4wheeler in the wilderness area I hunt.

"Pictures. License/tag numbers. Turn em in." I agree with that.

I should add that this is probably the route one should use when dealing with ATVers:D

A little birdie just informed me that the GDBGTDGLSDBL plead guilty, took a deferred sentence and paid the fine. A little justice for the public;)

I keep threatening to start a "Non-profit' organization to deal with all this BS. Membership fees may be pretty high and we won't publish a big glossy spread. We will, however, pay your attorney fees for destroying any and all ATV's, UTV's, etc. found behind a locked gate or in a Wilderness area etc.

Forest Service and BLM just don't have the manpower or kahonies to enforce it. Too many people want Game and Fish wardens to patrol when it's not their job. I know for a fact that the weenie commissioners in Idaho told IDFG employees to not worry about illegal ATV use. They went so far as to remand the MOU with the Forest service allowing them to do so. :mad:

It's beyond funny anymore. Time to take actions into our own hands. :W:

Any volunteers for Chapter Presidents to start a local group?

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

-and please don't take me serious even though the thought has crossed my mind. ALOT!:rolleyes:

I keep threatening to start a "Non-profit' organization to deal with all this BS. Membership fees may be pretty high and we won't publish a big glossy spread. We will, however, pay your attorney fees for destroying any and all ATV's, UTV's, etc. found behind a locked gate or in a Wilderness area etc.

Forest Service and BLM just don't have the manpower or kahonies to enforce it. Too many people want Game and Fish wardens to patrol when it's not their job. I know for a fact that the weenie commissioners in Idaho told IDFG employees to not worry about illegal ATV use. They went so far as to remand the MOU with the Forest service allowing them to do so. :mad:

It's beyond funny anymore. Time to take actions into our own hands. :W:

Any volunteers for Chapter Presidents to start a local group?

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

-and please don't take me serious even though the thought has crossed my mind. ALOT!:rolleyes:

Although Backcountry Hunters and Anglers obviously can't enforce the laws, they've taken a very outspoken stance trying to encourage people to report illegal OHV use, whether or not its made a dent yet, I'm not sure.

Actually, the cop in my house was a guy. I'm sure he wanted me to put on pants because I'm so sexy he most likely was questioning his sexuality while staring at my tight boxer briefs, bulge and sexy legs.

The first cop was a woman, most likely why she bought his story and put the GDBGTDGLSDBL in her pig mobile to keep him safe and warm.
I'm questioning mine just reading about the situation. :eek:

With te persistent mild weather coupled with a full moon, deer were difficult to find. They were not showing themselves in the open at all. I continued to hunt the timber, slow and quiet trying to work up wind as much as I could. Fourth, fifth and morning of the sixth day I hardly saw a deer and no bucks. On the afternoon of the sixth day I explored an area I hadn't tried yet and felt that maybe it hadn't been disturbed by other hunters. Went in about a mile and a half and worked through a cool dark stand of fir with a a few pines. As I emerged into a transition zone of pine and quaking aspen, I moved a little to my left to clear a small pine blocking my view. I froze in mid step. Right in front of me, not much over forty yards, was a buck. He was unaware of me, standing facing straight away from me. He seemed almost like he was asleep on his feet, like a horse. Occasionally,I would see his ears change direction. First impulse was that he didn't have much spread. Then as I assessed him with my binocs, I could see the maturity in his antlers with heaviness in his tines. I straightened my thinking out, disregarding any thoughts of being picky this far into the 9-day season. However, I didn't have a shot. Only his butt and the back of his neck were visible with him still facing straight away. I was going to have to wait for him to turn, realizing any movement by me, such as raising my rifle, was going to spook him at this close (too close!) range. I prepared for a fast draw shot. I waited and waited, perhaps only 5-minutes. It seemed longer. Too long to hold my rifle up aimed at him. Finally, he made a move, pivoting to his left. I raised my rifle, placed cross hair behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger all in one blurring motion. He absorbed the shot but appeared mortally wounded as he moved off to the right and gradually weakened and collapsed. Here's one of my best pictures of him.
DSC01076zz_zps44b960d5.jpg

Lucky or good? Who knows? Congrats, on a great buck either way!

Classic story Dink!

Sad to hear this crap goes on outside of my spots in Idaho. I used to look for locked gates and old skid roads for hiking/mtn bike access but every locked gate I find has been driven around or the lock shot off. Even the good gates with the lock inside the column get shot not just the chained ones.

My last chat with the F&G was about how they could easily pay for helicopter time or patrol by busting guys on the general rifle hunts. All they have to do is go gate to gate, no way they couldn't make more money than it cost to drive around.

Writing tickets isn't a money maker for F&G. At most they may see restitution for the value of animals taken or illegal licenses, but the associated fines do a good job paying counties, judges, etc.

Great looking buck Mike! Congrats on putting the bad luck behind you.

Lucky or good? Who knows? ...........

Hey, I'll take all the luck that wants to come my way! :). I believe in luck. Luck plays a big role in this game we love. I think you can manage it by fully utilizing the skills you are equiped with and most important of all maximize the opportunity for luck to unfold in your favor by staying out there giving it all you have. No matter how difficult it is. The only special attributes I have are my thick-headed refusal to give up and my good physical capability for my age.

That buck has it all IMHO! Character, size and a great cape to boot. Congrats on that one!

Pretty cool you got within bow range of this guy!

Hey, I'll take all the luck that wants to come my way! :). I believe in luck. Luck plays a big role in this game we love. I think you can manage it by fully utilizing the skills you are equiped with and most important of all maximize the opportunity for luck to unfold in your favor by staying out there giving it all you have. No matter how difficult it is. The only special attributes I have are my thick-headed refusal to give up and my good physical capability for my age.

Well said, and a philosophy for success. Congratulations on the fine buck!

As for the offending ATV abusers, a well placed AP round through the engines would fix them permanently and the owners couldn't abandon them without getting caught. Not that I'd ever do such a thing. Oh, no.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back