Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Retirement Hunting Adventure

7049CD07-E6E1-4BD3-85AA-CDE61C1960BA.jpeg0EC06856-96DE-4B7D-9527-F89868839F66.jpeg16C0C2ED-4906-497F-B6C4-712B0D940154.jpeg
I know wrong category but excited n y’all watching rt now!! Prepping to make my Christmas Sausage, Christmas presents rt now for tomorrow!! Roasting sweet red bells, garlic, sweet onions, jalapeños, n pablanos. I coarse chop it n mix it in w my base Alsatian sausage mix along w some fresh cilantro

In the last 10 years guided sheep/goat/caribou/bear hunts in Alaska have gone up about 75% (inflation was 20%+/- during same time). Drop hunts have easily gone up that much or more. Not sure about Canada, but I suspect they are similar. For ballpark costs you could figure similar inflation rates.

I like hunting sheep, but there are guys up here that offer moose/sheep, sheep/bear, and/or caribou or a combination of all. A couple weeks in the mountains would be pretty fun no matter what you were chasing.

NA big game guided is overrated and over priced compared to international equivalents. NZ is the best bang for your buck for temperate game, but plains game in Africa is pennies on the dollar. Source: I worked in the safari industry in RSA. I'll echo what many others have said and plan and go on big hunts now and not later. I once had this idea that I'd do my dream hunts when I retired, but that's out the window and I'm doing a destination hunt every year and knock out my goals while my health and life circumstances are prime.

Starting to think about retirement from the fire department, probably in around give or take 10 years. I would like to treat myself w a “once in a lifetime hunting adventure” Would like it to be a multi species, backcountry hunt. Always have done DIY but realize something of the magnitude I want would need to be outfitted and guided.
Would like to experience a true horseback backcountry style adventure. Moose, caribou, goat, sheep, bear, etc would be what I would be interested in. I know I probably couldn’t afford all of that; barring winning the lotto or something, but that’s why I would like to seriously start thinking, planning, saving for something like that.
Any suggestions, experiences, advice?
You are doing as I did, well similar, I had my main career until I took a redundancy package at age 50, but during that time a had a master plan, I was building up my fly fishing/hunting guide business, so it's 9 years later now, I have done a lot of what I set out to do, within my budget, I will still probably return to the US, I will also look into NZ, my dream hunt of late would be a Dall Sheep hunt, but, some of the prices are eye watering, I could pay out for one, but it's not what I would call disposable income, at 59 in my own personal position it would be irresponsible, I have to look to the future, my wife and I might need that money, who knows what the future holds.
I would get the most physically demanding hunt done first if finances allow, at 50 I din't have any aches and pains, at 59 I do, shoulders being the worst, but if I came into money tomorrow and could go on my dream hunt I would push through the pain!:)
You are doing it right, planning is key.
Have a great hunt when you go.
Cheers
Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back