Retirement Hunting Adventure

JV842

Starting to think about retirement from the fire department, probably in around give or take 10 years. I would like to treat myself w a “once in a lifetime hunting adventure” Would like it to be a multi species, backcountry hunt. Always have done DIY but realize something of the magnitude I want would need to be outfitted and guided.
Would like to experience a true horseback backcountry style adventure. Moose, caribou, goat, sheep, bear, etc would be what I would be interested in. I know I probably couldn’t afford all of that; barring winning the lotto or something, but that’s why I would like to seriously start thinking, planning, saving for something like that.
Any suggestions, experiences, advice?

Hunt every year you can, even while you plan. Poetry unintended.

Stay as healthy/fit as you can, maybe that is a given w your work, maybe not. Take vacations and DIY hunt in the places you are considering, some will call to you. Get points every year in every state for the species that interest you.

I did a moose, sheep and mnt caribou hunt in NWT three years ago and would highly recommend it to anyone that can swing it. The outfitter I went with doesn't run horseback hunts but there are others in NWT that do. It was the adventure of a lifetime. Great animal populations. No other hunters. I mean none. Not one.

The cost can be daunting. Most outfitters for a hunt like this will want a third down when you book, a third at the start of the year you are hunting and a third when you gt there. Spreading the cost over multiple years makes it a much easier pill to swallow.

I have a similar retirement hunting plan. I am sitting on 20 Wy sheep points and plan on retiring in 8 years at 55. I should be able to draw the unit i want at that time and i plan on spending the summer scouting the unit. I have been waiting a long time for this tag and i want to make the most of it.

“Do it soon”! This is coming from someone that had similar dreams, and recently retired! As you age many things can happen. Your health or that of a spouse can fail.....severely impacting your finances! Things within the family, taking care of parents or even offspring can affect your lifestyle! And last but not least, politics or the stock market can affect your dreams! memtb

If a Canadian or Alaskan trip would be too much of a financial leap, a horse camp into the thorofare for deer and elk for a couple weeks be pretty cool to me.

JV842

just for info only

One can do a horseback AND float plane hunting trip in the Yukon Territory. Canada for 4 of the animals listed ( plus wolf ) on one 30 day trip. You would fly to two, possibly three edifferent locations via float plane and the horses would be waiting at each location

You can hunt Sheep, Caribou, Moose, Grizzly, Wolf, but not Goat as you will be too far north. Cost will be 60000 to 70000 Next available booking is in 2021

You can not hunt Grizzly, as a non-resident in The Northwest Territory (or goat) again too far North . But you could hunt sheep, caribou, moose, wolf via horseback AND float plane for 50000/55000. 30 day hunt. Next available booking is in 2022 ( possibly 2021)

You may want to look at Alaska or eliminate Grizzly and look at B.C. If you take two or three different trips this gets easier. PM me if you have questions

Remember it's cheaper to pay for a two-week multi-species hunt, than two one week hunts

Ovis Outfitters: Emily & Matt Thoft. (Out of Wasilla Alaska.). [email protected]

I did something that I have dreamed about since I was 10 years old, and that is to go on a guided hunt ONE time at least. My dream has always been to hunt a grizzly bear. Well I did this hunt the end of August 2019 on the North Side of the Brooks Range above the Arctic Circle in one of their Grayling fishing which was fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about this outfit and the folks

they have working with them. My guide was Mike Lettis and he was fantastic to hunt with. He's very dedicated and easy going and is extremely experienced.

They have a lot of different hunts to offer. Mine was for wolf and grizzly bear. I almost got a wolf on my trip but it was not meant to be. Had a great time and it truly was a once in a lifetime adventure. I can hardly recommend these folks and you might want to look into the different hunts they offer. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and we can connect and talk. I'd say just do it! I am 59 and just retired a couple years earlier. I'm glad I did this hunt and took the chance. If you can swing it earlier in your journey instead of waiting until after you retire in 10, DO IT! You never know what life will throw at us so just do it!

David

Thanks to all the responses. I will definitely be pm’ing y’all. Getting things together rt now for Thanksgiving n me, my grandson, n some friends annual prethanksgiving hunt/camping trip on the family’s ranch
Again Thanks to All n All have a Great Thanksgiving!!!!
Hope to be posting some more pics of my dead eye of a grandson soon!!!

N if anyone is down San Antonio way around May/June shoot me a pm, lots of pigs in the oats n no license for em in Texas anymore (nonres included)

I did a combo hunt in northern BC with Stone Mountain Safari, great outfittter and crew. It was a horseback hunt and I drove there from central Calif. I did take a moose, elk were in the area but never found a six pt. bull. It is adventure that every hunter needs to do! I've been back on a 2 on 1 hunt with my oldest son and we're planning for 2021! Do your Reasearch on Outfitters, then attend the sheep show in Reno to meet them. Remember the NWT, even Alaska is a plane flight meaning most likely you won't be bringing your meat home.

Last edited:
You have a career with ample time off for a second career for side money. You need to be hunting NOW.

Believe me when I say the more you hunt, the better hunts you will have in the future. You get in contact with people who do those epic hunts and you hear of opportunities you wouldn't hear of if oyu were waiting for that "hunt of a lifetime" . in 10 years Folk you meet in hunting camp have a spot open for some one to join them and they know you, (and like you) you get the call...

Alternatively join a service and try to jump on a cancellation hunt. It is tough not knowing the outfitter and sometimes can be disappointing. But if you have hunting buddies who have other hunting buddies, I've seldom had a bad referral. YOu also develop a group of people you like to hunt with. If you are gonna book something out a few years it is always best to be able to "fill the camp" while you are there. Sometimes you can get a lower price (group discount)

To 2rocky, I work on the side for delta as a baggage gorilla for the free flights; go to Montana for elk, deer, bear every year. Going lion hunting w a bud up there that runs dogs in February
Plan on running the delta deal for a total of 10 years (been there 4 in January already) that way me n my wife get the benefits the rest of our life

To 2rocky, I work on the side for delta as a baggage gorilla for the free flights; go to Montana for elk, deer, bear every year. Going lion hunting w a bud up there that runs dogs in February
Plan on running the delta deal for a total of 10 years (been there 4 in January already) that way me n my wife get the benefits the rest of our life

Good for you ! Excellent plan ! And it makes what I am about to say even more palatable. Someone mentioned earlier that it is cheaper to take one, two week trip instead of two one week trips and all things being equal that is true, simply because of the cost to travel to and from twice vs once.

However; we wanted to see different places and hunt different ways and meet different people. Example only: Maybe consider hunting B.C. for moose and caribou via horseback one year. The next year head to Alaska for goat and grizzly via float plane. The next year maybe hoof it on Kodiak for a Brownie and do some fishing. Dont over look Argentina for Red Stag via horseback again and doves if you enjoy wing shooting.

This is even going to be easier, or a least less expensive for you than it was for us, as we had to pay for our airfare to each location and you will not. Also planning a trip that involves only one or two animals is financially easier to do both literally and in your mind-----------"We can afford THAT next year". --------------- O.K. now lets save for the next one, even if it is every other year for the big trips.

I am excited for you, I wish you the best of luck and as others have said ---plan it, do it---good luck and enjoy

p.s. someone mentioned being on the list of people to call if they get a cancellation, excellent suggestion, we use to be on three or four.

Thanks for filling in the rest of the story....my bet is if you have a group you elk hunt with, someone's got a good lead for a Canadian Rockies trip. Meeting those guys in person is more effective than internet only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back