Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Retire in Wyoming?

BigHornRam

Why not! What's the best way to hunt wilderness in Wyoming? Become a resident. I'm seriously thinking about buying some property there and have been doing some online searching. So if you had to retire in Wyoming where would you live and why? I have only 2 criteria. It can't be around Jackson Hole and it has to have bighorn sheep nearby.

Thoughts?

Cody? Why not is right. Low taxes. Seems like a great idea to me.

My parents live in Cody and they really enjoy it. We've taken drives out toward Yellowstone in the winter and there are elk, deer and sheep all over the place. The only downside is the tourism in the summer.

I'm considering it as well, but I may need a second place in a warmer/less windy climate to hold up for a few months after I tag out.

I was eyeballing s w wyo for same idea,,close to Idaho,utah and Colorado for tag draws,plus all the Wyoming resident bene like general elk tags and wilderness hunting.

I will be retiring out there somewhere when I do retire. My wife is fond of the Missoula, Montana area, we both like the northern NM areas, but I REALLY like Wyoming. I've saw more game there than any other place I have been. There is a pretty decent job opening in Rock Springs that I am qualified for. I'd be there in a heartbeat applying for it, and ready to move if it wasn't for taking my young boys away from the grandparents. They are both really close to both my parents and hers, and I don't have the heart to take that away from them. Especially since I never had the opportunity to be close to my grandparents.

I’m doing WY antelope this year with the whole family to see if we like Cheyenne/Laramie area for our next stint in life. I was searching Mr Gore’s interweb yesterday for jobs and housing for the wife and I. There seems to be quite a few options.

Many years ago I lived in Jackson Hole area. A whoopload has changed since and would steer far clear as you've determined. Seemed, even then, there was a needed supply for fiber. As I would route over to Dubois, Lander, and Riverton, over Togwotee pass Eastward, the stores fiber reduced.

I thought Dubois would be a great place to retire though would have to visit again for a fresh feel. In the meantime, Flathead Valley's fiber supply/demand has been a nice relief from my days living in the Zoo.
Anyhow, if Colorado didn't have the massive rush of people from other state(s) that were frustrated about their state - though couldn't identify their own politics were the problem... I had thought the weather much more forgiving for the later years with the hunting maintaining value.
Certainly understand Wyoming Federal land (our land) hunt opportunities are a great value along with the tax setting, etc.

Right now on the State of Wyoming jobs page there is a lodge caretaker position open in Dubois which is full time from March 1 to November 1 and can be lived at. Then you could go to AZ to hunt on your general license and just live in one of those big campers. That would be a dream retirement gig. Pays 19 bucks an hour.

I’m in the same boat about CO, plus I don’t want to finish my kids school years out where pot is legal. It has caused more issues in juvenile delinquency than what CO was prepared for. That is one of the big reason I want to leave MI as we are headed down that same road.

This is kindof a fun topic. I am having trouble narrowing it down. Dubois was also my first thought when you said sheep. You can snowbird 180 days after one year of residency or something like that. I was going to throw on oddball into the topic and say Wheatland, just because. It would be quite the change from the Bitterroot Valley. My current top seven don't really take into account sheep but Dayton, Sundance, Rock River, Saratoga, Big Piney, Ten Sleep, and Meeteetsee I think. The grass is always greener a couple doors down you know type deal. My criteria is stop lights, more than one and that lucky town is out.

I plan on staying in Wyo when I retire. However, it will be in a different town than where I currently live. I like Rock Springs very much but other areas in Wyo have more to offer and less downside (wind). My wife and I just bought a piece of land in Wyo we plan to retire on.

The suggestions of Dubois and Cody are great ones that will tick the boxes you mentioned. I would also suggest Pinedale and the Upper Green.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back