Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Results of Block Mgmt. Survey

Hi Hunt Talkers,

Last summer, I asked Randy for some help in getting folks here to respond to a survey about Montana's Block Management Program that my organization was conducting. That thread is here:
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=251461

We completed work on that survey a little bit before Christmas, and the results are now up on our website. There are two sets of results: one for the hunter version of the survey and one for the landowner version of the survey. I've provided a link at the bottom of this post.

We were trying to get hunters and landowners to tell us about their experiences with the Block Management Program. This survey was done independently of the Dept. of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. We got a good response from the hunter community, but it proved more difficult to reach a larger segment of landowners. Sometimes, that's just how these things go.

I worked with two very sharp folks at the U of M who did most of the analysis of the data, and helped me craft some of the questions in the surveys. Their help was invaluable. I'd like to thank all of you who took the survey and/or told friends about it. I'd like to thank Ben Lamb, who wrote a very nice article about this project on the Outdoor Life website, encouraging folks to take the survey. I'd like to thank MSA for all of their help getting this out to hunters. And, of course, a big thank you goes out to Big Fin, for his help here.

One item of note: in the time between starting the survey last summer, and releasing the finished reports on our website, my organization has changed it's name from the Rural Landscape Institute to One Montana. Sorry for any confusion that may cause for folks. Just want to be clear on that, so people don't think there were two separate surveys done at the same time.

It's also important to note that the results are limited to the survey responses. In other words, when the results say that "X % of hunters favored Y over Z in relation to Block Management" that you should not take that information and make broad inferences about Montana hunters or landowners in general. I wish we had been able to do this, but it was not the case. The introduction to the survey goes into this in more depth.

I've heard many opinions about Block Management-this survey was an attempt to get beyond those anecdotal accounts (good, bad, or otherwise). I also wanted to dig a little deeper than the surveys conducted by the Dept. and ask some questions about quality of experience as it relates to BM, and how hunter density, game density and other factors affect the hunting experience on BM. I also asked questions about what hunters and landowners would change about the program. At any rate, I hope that all of you, as sportsman, find information like this useful.

If you have any questions, PM me here or email me at [email protected]. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Here is the link:

http://onemontana.org/block-management-surveys#overlay-context=what-we-do/open-gates

Best,

Matt

Last edited:
Something seems messed up with Tables 4 and 5 in the hunter satisfaction survey.

The mean for "The excitement of hunting" is 4.13 for the overall, but when looking by region there isn't a single region that gets that high of a mark.

The mean for "Spending time with family or friends" gets a mean of 3.79 for overall, but when looking by region the lowest shown is 4.04.

Seems like this got mixed up on one of the tables or the other.

Back