Resources

huntinsonovagun

Just purchased my first WY preference point for pronghorn. Any recommended resources I should check out for a first-time wannabe pronghorn hunter? I’ve read so many threads here it’s mind-boggling. Also have a notes folder on my phone just for pronghorn stuff. I may check out the GoHunt site here in a couple of months when I get some down time. I was just wondering if there is anywhere else you guys may point me. Unit selection is likely my biggest obstacle at this point, but I have plenty of time to research.

Here we are teetering on the edge of the whitetail rut and I’m dreaming about an adventure out west...I must be sick!

Gohunt and OnX. Not much to it, otherwise. Antelope live where there are few trees, so not a whole lot to it. A spotting scope is nice, but at least bring a decent pair of binoculars.

Gohunt is offering a free 30 day trial, and if you can squeeze the time now I'd suggest starting your research while it doesn't cost you anything.

So use Gohunt + Onx. Gohunt to narrow down what units are draw-able with 1 PP, then use OnX to narrow down further for units that have decent public land that is accessible.

Fair warning, drawing odds have been getting worse the last few years due to a number of factors, so keep that in mind.

I'm sure GoHunt and OnX are great tools, but other than OnX chips for my GPS, I've never used them. All of the resources you really need are on the F&G and county websites for free.

Look at draw odds, pick units that have decent odds for your point pool, make a list of units. Make sure you're looking at the regs to see any special restrictions (private land only, irrigated, etc.). Look at each for amount of accessible public land. Check the WIA and HMA pages for each unit. If you see an area that looks good, go to the county website to verify that the access roads are public. Generally you're looking for yellow and blue on the map that aren't extremely steep, rocky, or timbered. When you get most of the units marked off the list and you get to your short list, you can start googling units, calling biologists and Access Yes coordinators, reaching out to other hunters, etc.

Go to the wyoming game and fish website. Learn your way around it, there is a ton of info on there. Draw odds, harvest data ,ect. On the hunt planner it shows a map of private and public land.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back