MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Repelling Gnats, Black Flys

awapiti

I was hunting in the breaks this past week and the gnats were making a meal of me. Thermacell did not work, worked great on the skeeters, but not the gnats. I had 3 other types of deet based products and none of these worked. Had a facenet and that kept them at bay, but I ended up with bites all around my eyes. What do you guys use that actually works. These little buggers just about drove me mad!

I had some vanilla mixed with deet, it may have helped a little, but was still getting bit. Anything else work?

You've got me wondering????? The only thing I can think of is wallow like an elk getting caked with mud and then pee all over yourself.

I start taking take garlic capsules about two days before going into the field. May not work for you, but works for me, I don't seem to get ticks and everybody leaves me alone. Just don't work up a sweat.

Downside is EVERYTHING can smell you. Just depends whether or not, you want to put up with the bites.

wallowing in the mud I would consider if it would keep the gnats off, peeing on myself...probably aint going to happen, may not help either. Anyone else have any luck with the pine tar soap. May not completely freak the the elk out either if the wind swirls. I would do the garlic thing, but man I can't stink any more than I already do. I hike alot and sweating comes with the hiking. Anyone else have anything that works?

I have some repellent that is 90+ percent deet(might be illegal by todays standards). Once I got a little bit on my lips and was numb for the next 12 hrs. No stinking bugs got me that day...at least that I could feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back