removable horn mounts

nbell

Guys

I've heard about these mounts, but never seen one. Does anyone on here have any experience with them. I shot this bull 2 years ago, and we were living in a little tiny house. We just finished moving into a bigger house, where I have my own little "trophy room" Only problem is it is down a very narrow hall way. I don't think a mount will make it in. Thanks for any advice.

NB

SANY0081.JPG

SANY0087.JPG

Nice bull

I have a couple of elk mounts done with one antler removable. My taxi uses a rectangular rod aobout 4" long glued into the antler that then slides into a square tube imbedded into the top of the mount. It sure makes it easy to get through narrow doors and hallways.

you can't tell the difference between my mounts with and without the removable antler when they are on the wall.

One note - make sure you officially score your trophy before having the taxi cut the antler off if you ever want to enter it into the record books.

I don't have any mounts with them, but I have heard of several guys with mounts done that way, if all else fails my wall unfortunately has room to display it for you.;)

My Wyoming buddy has a big bull that the taxidermist mounted just as SDBugler described with both sides done like that and you would never know that's the way it was done.

At the shop I work for we use fiberglass resin to anchor two rods into each horn. They come on and off real easy and can't tell they are detachable when placed on the elk

I have an antelope and a mule deer at the taxidermist out in WY as we speak. The guy offers a flat shipping rate, which is included in the price of the mount. If it is more, he covers the cost.

Anyway, since mulies can obviously make for a larger crate and thus higher shipping costs, he makes the antlers detachable to keep the cost and price down. He assured me that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. We shall see.

Its the way to go if it's not a book animal. RE: ELK

My 2008 bull is detachable..the only way I will mount them now....super easy to move around and you can not tell...just make sure to get it scored before you do it...that is if that matters to you.....I learned from my brothers bull he got....them big bulls are tough to move even if you have big door ways to go through. 58" main beams make it impossible...even with it hanging in Wholesale sports.

My bull is just over 62" wide, so that was the way I went... Nobody even has a clue that it comes apart... Wouldn't do it any other way! I think he used a bondo type of substance to hold the stock and square tubing in place...

Back