Remington Seven HS SS, do they shoot?

Sjackson

With an abundance of time due to the damn caronie virus, been poking around sportsman's website and ran into the Model Seven. Pretty affordable. Poked around and found a review by Scott Rupp on Rifle Shooter website. I know the 700's have a reputation for either shooting or not, but what about the Seven. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the model Seven. Does she shoot?

I’ve got a model seven in 7-08. It’s actually a youth model gun that my dad gave me when I was 13. It’s only a 18.5 barrel, but I’ve found that it shoots well.
I’m not like a lot of the gun nerds on here though. If I can shoot it prone off a pack and put together decent groups I consider it a shooter.

The 673 I have in 300 SAUM is a little picky about handloads, but with 165 factory it’ll shoot 3/4” all day. The thing points like a shotgun for me. Little on the heavy side, but that helps with the recoil.

If a guy beds the lug(about 15 minutes worth of work) on either the 700 or the 7, I have found they shoot quite well.

My go to gun is a seven xcr in 308.
20200322_180844.jpg
With 165gr acubond it shoots like this..20190505_213416.jpg
110yards or so, the acubond is the only bullet that will group this thigt so far, Nosler Custum competition 155gr looks like this..20191127_221038.jpg
I dont think the seven wil disapoint you acurasywise..

I’ve had Several model 7s. I currently have a 308 and a 7 SAUM. Great hunting rifles. As for shooters, some have required a good bit of tinkering to shoot well and some have been pretty good right out of the gate. My 308 is not a tac driver, but it’s accurate enough, and has a lot of sentimental value. I’ve killed a ton of game with it.
The SAUM is new to me. I’m waiting on a set of rings then we will see what it can do.
If I was purchasing another it would be one of the new HS Precision stocked guns. Good foundation to build off of if you like to tinker.

My go to gun is a seven xcr in 308.
View attachment 132917
With 165gr acubond it shoots like this..View attachment 132915
110yards or so, the acubond is the only bullet that will group this thigt so far, Nosler Custum competition 155gr looks like this..View attachment 132916
I dont think the seven wil disapoint you acurasywise..
Beautiful rig and some good groups. Thanks for the info. I think one of these might find its way into my hands sooner rather than later.

There is a 1988 manufacture Model 7 in 7mm-08 on MM for $1000. It's new in the box. mtmuley

Last edited:
I've got 2 Model Seven SS 7 SAUMs(from the 90's), a 7-08 Model Seven SS(bought new 3 years ago), and 308 Model Seven SS(bought new last year). Every one of them have been very accurate and not picky at all on ammo.

I've never bedded an action on any rifle I've ever owned. Never had a reason to.

I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I own several Model 7’s. My go to deer gun (NYS) is a Model 7FS in 7-08 or 284 HuntTalk (5.25 # out of the box - with a vx3 2.5-8 it weighs 6.5# with ammo). I have the same model in 308, a 7 SAUM SS, a 243 and finally a 6.5 Creedmoor in the newest HS SS. All are great shooters. The 2 FS models came factory glass bedded with factory synthetic stocks in the 80’s. The 7 SAUM has a stock I bought on eBay and it was already glass bedded and the action fit seemingly perfect.

the 6.5 man bun in the HS Precision stock has an aluminum bedding block and the lug is not glass bedded. It shoots well, but unfortunately, deer didn’t cooperate last fall. It shoots Rem factory with a Barnes copper bullet well. It wears a Leupold 2.5-8 as well (see a pattern here! 😁).5EA45930-8898-4BAA-90CD-D13C6F10B652.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back