Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Remington model seven ss hs precision

Read that Remington initially went with a free floating barrel and "didn't get the accuracy they were looking for" and so went back to the traditional pressure point in these new ones. Pretty sure this is of no value other than FYI.

Read that Remington initially went with a free floating barrel and "didn't get the accuracy they were looking for" and so went back to the traditional pressure point in these new ones. Pretty sure this is of no value other than FYI.

All of the ones I own are free floating.

Yep, remove the pressure point, bed, square the action/barrel, tune or replace the trigger.....re-stock, load development.

Last edited:
I own a new Model 7 HS Precision in the 6.5 Creedmoor caliber. It finally arrived just before deer season here. I mounted a Leupold VX 3i 2.5-8 on it with Talley mounts. The very first group I shot after sighting it in was 3/4" with Remington 140 grain Core Lokt ammo. I'll eventually reload for it as I have a lot of Hornady brass from another rifle I shoot a 300 yard F Class with.

Mo go to deer hunting rifles are a Model 7 FS in 7mm-08 and another FS in 308. The FS, fiberglass stocks, were made in the 1980's for a few years. These guns were 5.25 pounds out of the box. With the Leupold 2.5-8's, a Mountain sling and 5 rounds of ammo, they weigh 6.5 pounds! A great carrying-all-day-rifle weight. The HS model is about 1/2 pound heavier. I hunted with it a lot this year, but the animals didn't cooperate.

I also have a Model 7 243 that I've outfitted with a Model 7 Kevlar stock (used from custom shop - I live near the Remington Ilion, NY factory and find stuff now & then in their onsite store) and a Model 7 stainless in 7mm Rem Short Action Ultra Mag. All are great shooters. While I own other guns, I'm a diehard Remington fan!! My gun safes support that too! :)

I prefer light weight rifles for most of my hunting when I'm hiking. I agree with a statement I read recently (maybe here) that recoil is temporary; gravity is permanent!

I own a new Model 7 HS Precision in the 6.5 Creedmoor caliber. It finally arrived just before deer season here. I mounted a Leupold VX 3i 2.5-8 on it with Talley mounts. The very first group I shot after sighting it in was 3/4" with Remington 140 grain Core Lokt ammo. I'll eventually reload for it as I have a lot of Hornady brass from another rifle I shoot a 300 yard F Class with.

Mo go to deer hunting rifles are a Model 7 FS in 7mm-08 and another FS in 308. The FS, fiberglass stocks, were made in the 1980's for a few years. These guns were 5.25 pounds out of the box. With the Leupold 2.5-8's, a Mountain sling and 5 rounds of ammo, they weigh 6.5 pounds! A great carrying-all-day-rifle weight. The HS model is about 1/2 pound heavier. I hunted with it a lot this year, but the animals didn't cooperate.

I also have a Model 7 243 that I've outfitted with a Model 7 Kevlar stock (used from custom shop - I live near the Remington Ilion, NY factory and find stuff now & then in their onsite store) and a Model 7 stainless in 7mm Rem Short Action Ultra Mag. All are great shooters. While I own other guns, I'm a diehard Remington fan!! My gun safes support that too! :)

I prefer light weight rifles for most of my hunting when I'm hiking. I agree with a statement I read recently (maybe here) that recoil is temporary; gravity is permanent!

Do you have a spare Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM that you’d like to sell?

My Model Seven SS 7-08.

I have 3, and built a 4th for a friend.

17rem
7saum

They're all one holers.

These new ones with hs stocks might be the pinnacle of rifle perfection.

Everyone's tastes vary.

Thanks for everybody's input. Might have to look around for a better lightweight rifle for shooting long range. Especially if I want to go elk hunting with it, .308 might be a little small to shoot an elk from much a distance.

I am as well a pretty big Remington guy, so it might be tough for me to get a different lightweight gun. Looks like I have a decision to make! haha

I’ve got a Model 7 308 that I switched the trigger to a Timney and switched the wood stock out for an HS Precision prior to Remington offering their HS version. It’s a great little hunting rifle that I’ve killed a lot of game with. It’s a compact hunting rifle, not a target rifle though. They’re more than accurate enough for the intended purpose. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting in the 4-600 yd range, I’d choose another model a light rifle is harder to be consultant with and the effects of a shooters input are magnified by its lack of mass.
How is it holding up?

I don’t know. Some inbred meth head shitheel decided they needed it more than me. Hopefully they blow their brains out with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know. Some inbred meth head shitheel decided they needed it more than me. Hopefully they blow their brains out with it.
Sorry to hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back