Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Remington sells off its Ammo division

Mako

Looks like Remington has sold off it’s ammunition manufacturing business in attempt to save the company from going completely under. Those of us that are fans of Barnes bullets and ammo know that it is owned by Remington. Hope this doesn’t result in Barnes quality going south. At least it wasn’t purchased by Cerberus group.

The tentative buyer (it is a bottom price that can be exceeded by others) also owns Palmetto State Armory, so that may give some sense of their approach/impact.

The tentative buyer (it is a bottom price that can be exceeded by others) also owns Palmetto State Armory, so that may give some sense of their approach/impact.

I just read another article. It looks like there is going to be a bankruptcy “auction” of some sort on September 17 th. Hopefully somebody in the Firearms business with a good reputation ends up buying it and hopefully that company is American.

I just read another article. It looks like there is going to be a bankruptcy “auction” of some sort on September 17 th. Hopefully somebody in the Firearms business with a good reputation ends up buying it and hopefully that company is American.
It will likely be American, as European, Japanese and Australian investors all want out of the firearms industry for cultural reasons and I don't see a Chinese, Middle Eastern or Russian company getting gov approval at this point.

Remington has been tanking for the best part of a couple decades. Sad, but true. Bad management, poor quality control, law suites (justly earned) have paved the way. Buying out Marlin and then destroying the Brand Name quality was just a self inflicted knife in the back. Remington needs to get 'Quality" back on track and Damn soon.....

Hoping they are bought by a company who turns them back to a quality firearms manufacturer.
Has this ever really happened?

Winchester rifles are not what they were. Even FN could not keep mass producing them to their former quality.

Since Bill Ruger died, that company has gone from being "quality for every man" to, "How cheap can we make a rifle?"

Savage is..., What?

Marlin went to Remington and now,...What?

If past is prologue, Weatherby will be owned by MeatEater before we know it.

@44hunter45 No it has not ever happened. Just hoping this situation will be different. Winchester lever rifles in current production are made in Japan. That drives me insane.

Winchester rifles are not what they were. Even FN could not keep mass producing them to their former quality.

Since Bill Ruger died, that company has gone from being "quality for every man" to, "How cheap can we make a rifle?"

Savage is..., What?

As for Meateater they don’t even own themselves now so that won’t happen. They sold out to a a corporation last year or earlier this year. Can’t remember the exact time.

Savage is..., What?

maybe I think differently but I think the best thing for Remington to be revived would be for an American company that already has a large following to purchase and revive the name who already have a fan base that would follow over. Then if the improved their quality maybe get some of the old Remington fans back other than that I dont see Remington coming back Successful

Palmetto is a pretty successful operation, they don't have a reputation of pushing quality items but they've been trying on the AR front. Good place to source PMags and the occasional ammo deal, though. Have a feeling a lot of focus will be on turning out cheap ammo to sell through PSA.

I'll hold out hope that whoever buys the firearms division can do it justice, losing the 700s and 870s would be a shame.

As for Meateater they don’t even own themselves now so that won’t happen. They sold out to a a corporation last year or earlier this year. Can’t remember the exact time.
Well the meateater brand has purchased fhf, and first lite already. I wouldn’t put it past them...

Savage is..., What?

I think the crux of the issue here is that it costs alot of money to hire skilled craftsmen and have them do nice work. And when you can spend 300 bucks for a rifle that shoots 1/2" groups, the pool of people willing to pay for that fine work is small.

But despite agreeing with your general point, I'm going to take issue with your first statement. I've never owned a pre-64 winchester, but from what I can tell, the only advantage they have over a FN model 70 is that the fit and finish is a bit nicer and it was easier to get good walnut back then. Those FN rifles look very nice though, they have excellent triggers and actions and unlike the pre-64's, they pretty much all shoot well. I have the feeling that some of the "glow" of pre-64's is sentimentality and there are certainly some well known gun experts who agree.

I think the crux of the issue here is that it costs alot of money to hire skilled craftsmen and have them do nice work. And when you can spend 300 bucks for a rifle that shoots 1/2" groups, the pool of people willing to pay for that fine work is small.

But despite agreeing with your general point, I'm going to take issue with your first statement. I've never owned a pre-64 winchester, but from what I can tell, the only advantage they have over a FN model 70 is that the fit and finish is a bit nicer and it was easier to get good walnut back then. Those FN rifles look very nice though, they have excellent triggers and actions and unlike the pre-64's, they pretty much all shoot well. I have the feeling that some of the "glow" of pre-64's is sentimentality and there are certainly some well known gun experts who agree.
I don't what to take the thread too far away from the OP's point about the Remington ammo division. Regarding that - It's been a long time since IMR powder said "Dupont" on the can.
But IMR powder still holds a good market share in the hand loading world.

My comments actually agree with you completely. It seems that Wal-Mart drives the gun market now. That, and that every rifle has to have "Tactical" stenciled on the side.
I am just a curmudgeon lamenting that well made guns, like guitars and other iconic American products, are simply too expensive in a cheap and dirty market driven world.
Anyone wanting an American made Gibson or Fender bass or guitar knows what I mean.

I own a New Haven vintage Stainless Classic M70 that is a tack driver. There are other threads on HT discussing how the Portugal made FN M70 is a hit and miss gamble. Their LE version may be an exception.
FN has historically made some of the finest rifles in the world. So it's not about capability, its about the market.

I have a few M77 Rugers in the safe and like them. But the Ruger American is never going to be in the Cabela's gun gallery.

I had Montana Rifle on my bucket list, but they are essentially gone now. Too expensive to make at a profit.

If you want a fine rifle, it has become a boutique proposition. The big names in rifle history are going to give way to the Bergaras, and Christensens.

I don't what to take the thread too far away from the OP's point about the Remington ammo division. Regarding that - It's been a long time since IMR powder said "Dupont" on the can.
But IMR powder still holds a good market share in the hand loading world.

My comments actually agree with you completely. It seems that Wal-Mart drives the gun market now. That, and that every rifle has to have "Tactical" stenciled on the side.
I am just a curmudgeon lamenting that well made guns, like guitars and other iconic American products, are simply too expensive in a cheap and dirty market driven world.
Anyone wanting an American made Gibson or Fender bass or guitar knows what I mean.

I own a New Haven vintage Stainless Classic M70 that is a tack driver. There are other threads on HT discussing how the Portugal made FN M70 is a hit and miss gamble. Their LE version may be an exception.
FN has historically made some of the finest rifles in the world. So it's not about capability, its about the market.

I have a few M77 Rugers in the safe and like them. But the Ruger American is never going to be in the Cabela's gun gallery.

I had Montana Rifle on my bucket list, but they are essentially gone now. Too expensive to make at a profit.

If you want a fine rifle, it has become a boutique proposition. The big names in rifle history are going to give way to the Bergaras, and Christensens.
It's funny, I was actually thinking about using a guitar analogy. I sometimes think that people's love of pre-64 Winchesters is similar to the way some people are obsessed with a certain vintage pickup, etc. even when there are 6 modern pickups that can do the same thing. Oh well... I may have misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that FN had represented a drop in the quality of Winchester firearms. I'm actually not familiar with the ones coming out of Portugal (is that a recent thing?), but I had a FN M 70 that I think was made in South Carolina and it was nicer than anything I've ever seen from New Haven's Push-feed days, and probably a step up, in many ways, from the pre-64's as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back