Remington custom shop barreled actions. $400

It says on the web page they could come anyway, even complete rifles. It is a risk, but I would imagine the vast majority will have a bolt. Why would the custom shop gunsmith thread the barrel and not work on the action to lap the lugs.
I don't believe that the custom shop ever did the little extras [like truing the action] that a quality smith would do. A couple days ago a friend who knows a little about smithing commented that one I bought within the last 3 years has no primary extraction. Seems like Remington just cranked stuff out as fast and as cheap as they could. I expect that the other 2 I bought could be similar. I haven't seen it fail to extract a fired case yet, but I was told that there could be issues if one was to fire hot loads. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

I don't believe that the custom shop ever did the little extras [like truing the action] that a quality smith would do. A couple days ago a friend who knows a little about smithing commented that one I bought within the last 3 years has no primary extraction. Seems like Remington just cranked stuff out as fast and as cheap as they could. I expect that the other 2 I bought could be similar. I haven't seen it fail to extract a fired case yet, but I was told that there could be issues if one was to fire hot loads. CAVEAT EMPTOR!
Your buddy knows damn little about smithing.

How are they keeping track of what is actually available if the inventory isn't in real time?
5 guys could order the same piece.

How are they keeping track of what is actually available if the inventory isn't in real time?
5 guys could order the same piece.
They have no idea. The guy on the phone said they’d backorder it. I said that’s not possible, it’s not like the Remington Custom Shop is going to send them more. Then he said oh I guess we’d refund you.

He said they hit the website 2 weeks ago and they’ve had thousands of phone calls about them. I asked how often they update the spreadsheet and he said………he doesn’t know. So who knows what is remaining.

It’s honestly rolling the dice.

Your buddy knows damn little about smithing.
Well he shoots bench rest, does his own smithing and knows how an action is supposed to work and time. He also makes damn good bullets. I'll take the word of someone who has actually had the thing in hand over someone who hasn't. As long as it extracts a fired case I'm good with it.

Quite some time back I bought a PTG stainless Rem 700 BDL trigger guard. When it arrived the groove in the floorplate wasn't wide enough to accept the follower spring. Sent R Back to be fixed. Ordered another one after that with a note to make the floorplate groove wide enough. Sure nuff it was too narrow. Called and Dave hizself answered. Sent me a label to return it. They fixed it, but I wonder how many they sent out and got back and never fixed it right the first time. I'd be really pissed if it was a $280 plus tax and shipping unit from Midway.

Sounds like it would have been a lot easier to just spend 10 seconds grinding the follower spring on a bench sander for a perfect fit to whatever size the groove was. But frustrating nonetheless.

“Primary extraction” has nothing to do with the “extractor”, it is the caming action of the lug recess and rear action bridge which gives you mechanical advantage to pull the case out of the chamber, as you lift the bolt, before you pull the bolt back. I have a couple that have zero primary extraction because the timing is so far off that the cam never engages. But I’ve also never stuck a case, and all my handloads have flat primers.

Sounds like it would have been a lot easier to just spend 10 seconds grinding the follower spring on a bench sander for a perfect fit to whatever size the groove was. But frustrating nonetheless.

“Primary extraction” has nothing to do with the “extractor”, it is the caming action of the lug recess and rear action bridge which gives you mechanical advantage to pull the case out of the chamber, as you lift the bolt, before you pull the bolt back. I have a couple that have zero primary extraction because the timing is so far off that the cam never engages. But I’ve also never stuck a case, and all my handloads have flat primers.
My bad.

I don't have a bench grinder handy, but if I did I would prefer not to as you'd just ruin the spring if you decided later to opt for an aluminum or factory issue floorplate. Seems like I recall Remington having had two different spring widths at one time.

That's what he was talking about. A load hot enough to swell the case head might be a different story. Sometimes these can be helped by rewelding the bolt handle back on in a slightly different position. A friend of his bought 2 actions from Brownells with apparently the same issues. My friend advised his other friend to return them. I've not had any issues with my 3 the last couple of years.

antelopedundee said "That's what he was talking about. A load hot enough to swell the case head might be a different story. Sometimes these can be helped by rewelding the bolt handle back on in a slightly different position. A friend of his bought 2 actions from Brownells with apparently the same issues. My friend advised his other friend to return them. I've not had any issues with my 3 the last couple of years."

My 2019 sendero had that problem. Third time I sent it in, they replaced it. The replacement had a poor trigger and lately it was having problems with primary extraction as well. Took it too the local smith who seemed to me to be saying that it was all my fault for shooting too hot of loads. Now, while my loads tend to be on the upper end of powder ranges, they do not exhibit overall high pressure signs. When it sticks on two or three of ten rounds with no consistency, it makes me wonder. I had a heck of a time convincing him that the timing was off on the bolt. He agreed to work on it and I even opted for an AR type ejector. I truly believe that Rmingtons quality control in the last few years was not up to snuff. Sure, they still made some good rifles but I think the overall percentage of good rifles had slipped a lot. Maybe someone will end up with my turn in.

He agreed to work on it and I even opted for an AR type ejector.
Most gunsmiths either don’t understand the timing issue or don’t want to spend the time/effort rewelding the bolt handle. So they just push people toward AR-type extractors and hope that makes the customer go away.

Edit: The M16 or Sako type extractor is far superior to the Remington ring clip extractor, but it is used as a “fix” instead of actually fixing the timing issue.

Last edited:
haha! man this whole deal is just a classic PTG dumpster fire.
I imagine I’ll be fighting with my credit card company for a refund in a few weeks when I find out that what I ordered is permanently out of stock.

If I ever do receive any of the ones I ordered I’ll post what the heck actually turned up to this thread.

Most gunsmiths either don’t understand the timing issue or don’t want to spend the time/effort rewelding the bolt handle. So they just push people toward AR-type extractors and hope that makes the customer go away.
If you have the problem Greg Tannel in Rifle, CO, understands it. It may be as simple as repositioning the bolt handle or it may be more complex and cost more to fix than it's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back