Remington 700 bolt hard to push down

nhenry

Howdy

My 280AI's bolt has always been hard to push down (even when empty).

Anyone here able to diagnose the problem?

The first gun is my 7-08 for comparison

How do your lugs look?

The bolt shroud could have a bur or boogers threads too.

Lugs look ok, factory trigger? How does it close when you hold the trigger down?
I would bet it's an issue with the bolt shroud/ sear.

Sometimes lubing up the cocking cam helps a bit.

Mark the back (bearing side ) of the lugs with some kind of a marker. It will wear off giving you an indication of what the contact points are.

I’d also get a set of headspace gauges and check that as well.

It’s either going to be in the lug contact or interference with the barrel to bolt face though since you aren’t using a case.

Mark the back (bearing side ) of the lugs with some kind of a marker. It will wear off giving you an indication of what the contact points are.

It’s either going to be in the lug contact or interference with the barrel to bolt face though since you aren’t using a case.
It did that with the old barrel too and headspace is precise on both. I’ll do the marker thing

Lugs look ok, factory trigger? How does it close when you hold the trigger down?
I would bet it's an issue with the bolt shroud/ sear.

Sometimes lubing up the cocking cam helps a bit.
Factory trigger, gonna replace it soon. I’ll try lubing the piece

scope bases mounted to it? Try removing them. The front screws may be too long. I've had that happen with Talley rings/bases when not paying attention. EDIT: I see you may have barrel and stock off already so scope bases may not be there either.

Next would be to take permanent marker to see where it's swiping with options of lapping or taking to gunsmith to trim things up (gonna be a few hundred $ to basically blueprint and time)

scope bases mounted to it? Try removing them. The front screws may be too long. I've had that happen with Talley rings/bases when not paying attention. EDIT: I see you may have barrel and stock off already so scope bases may not be there either.

Next would be to take permanent marker to see where it's swiping with options of lapping or taking to gunsmith to trim things up (gonna be a few hundred $ to basically blueprint and time)
It does it without anything attached to it. I feel like it's a lug issue as it's easier to push down if I push the bolt in further/harder.

Nice to see that you're a portsider.

Any chance that the bolt handle could be too far forward? Ideally the gap between the front of the handle and action should be about 0.005 when the action is closed. If you suspect the lugs put some lapping compound on the rear surfaces and work the action. That should solve the problem if it's the lugs. Might be a PITA trying to clean it out afterwards.

w93CYWx.jpg

Nice to see that you're a portsider.

Any chance that the bolt handle could be too far forward? Ideally the gap between the front of the handle and action should be about 0.005 when the action is closed. If you suspect the lugs put some lapping compound on the rear surfaces and work the action. That should solve the problem if it's the lugs. Might be a PITA trying to clean it out afterwards.

w93CYWx.jpg
I'll have to check when I get home. I was fairly certain everything was timed properly as the whole receiver is blueprinted, but I'll make sure.

Yes, find a set of "go, no go" headspace gauges. You might have to order them from Brownells or Midway but they are usually not very expensive. Anyone can operate them. Simply insert and close the bolt. If the headspace is wrong, back to the factory for a fix. Remington's responsibility.

Edit: Looks like you gauged it already. I agree with above post re may be some interference caused by trigger. Have you tried working the bolt without cocking piece? I had a problem with my Springfield's bolt closing when I switched to Timney trigger. This was the old style trigger design that used existing striker safety. They were a bugger to install correctly. Newer Timney models have trigger block safety. Anyway, instructions said modifying the trigger sear might be needed. As I recall I modified the striker instead. My gunsmith had given up on it.

Last edited:
Yes, find a set of "go, no go" headspace gauges. You might have to order them from Brownells or Midway but they are usually not very expensive. Anyone can operate them. Simply insert and close the bolt. If the headspace is wrong, back to the factory for a fix. Remington's responsibility.
It's a custom and the headspacing is fine

It's a custom and the headspacing is fine
Yes. I see that. I was editing my post while you were writing this one. Have you tried closing it without cocking piece/firing pin?

Last edited:
Have you mentioned this issue to the person/outfit who did the "blueprint" work. Perhaps he/they like tolerances that are excessive (but harmless). Did you have an aftermarket barrel installed? Sorry, I don't even know if Remington offered it in 280 AI.

Edit: Looks like you gauged it already. I agree with above post re may be some interference caused by trigger. Have you tried working the bolt without cocking piece? I had a problem with my Springfield's bolt closing when I switched to Timney trigger. This was the old style trigger design that used existing striker safety. They were a bugger to install correctly. Newer Timney models have trigger block safety. Anyway, instructions said modifying the trigger sear might be needed. As I recall I modified the striker instead. My gunsmith had given up on it.
I don't think that Remington ever offered model 700 rifles in .280AI therefore they would have no obligation to fix it. Once you customize all bets are off also.

One could remove the rear trigger pin and drop the trigger out of the way. As long as one is doing that mite as swell replace it. If twas me it would be a Jewell or TriggerTech. Even a factory trigger worked over by Neil Jones would be ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back