Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Remington 700 bolt hard to push down

I watched the gunsmith put the replacement barrel on my Springfield. He explained there is an amount of gray area that can be adjusted between "go" and "no go." I forget what the thousands measurement was. The bolt face doesn't have to be jammed smack against the chamber face. It sounds to me like maybe this gunsmith preferred to set the headspace for tighter specs. I think I would have preferred my guy pulling things together maybe just a tad tighter. Bolt seems to close perhaps too easily. But it shoots well so that's what is important I guess.

I watched the gunsmith put the replacement barrel on my Springfield. He explained there is an amount of gray area that can be adjusted between "go" and "no go." I forget what the thousands measurement was. The bolt face doesn't have to be jammed smack against the chamber face. It sounds to me like maybe this gunsmith preferred to set the headspace for tighter specs. I think I would have preferred my guy pulling things together maybe just a tad tighter. Bolt seems to close perhaps too easily. But it shoots well so that's what is important I guess.
It's been like this with both barrels and both barrels taken off. I'm assuming it's either the lugs being super snug or something in the rear of the bolt like p_ham stated. I'll figure it out tonight hopefully

It's been like this with both barrels and both barrels taken off. I'm assuming it's either the lugs being super snug or something in the rear of the bolt like p_ham stated. I'll figure it out tonight hopefully
If it closes hard with barrels off it's definitely not a headspace issue.

Put a small piece of masking tape on the front surface of the bolt handle where it connects to the bolt and see if there are marks on the tape after you close it. You should be able to tell by looking with a magnifying lass if the gap between the front of the bolt handle and the action is uniform.

Were you able to figure out what the issue is? Also try removing the firing pin assembly and see if the problem persists.
I figured out that it's in the shroud/firing pin assembly. Something in there. The lugs are fine and the bolt handle is well timed. I'll take out the firing pin assembly and really figure it out tonight. Easy enough job.

My 700 had a issue with closing. My gun guy shortened the front screw that holds the stock on the action. The problem is no more.
Seem's I had that same problem one time. Just don't remember if it was a Remington or what. Just a thought, ask a gunsmith!

I figured out that it's in the shroud/firing pin assembly. Something in there. The lugs are fine and the bolt handle is well timed. I'll take out the firing pin assembly and really figure it out tonight. Easy enough job.
I have a pin dis/assembly tool....danged if I don't have to figure out how it works every time wanna use it.

Wait till you change triggers before getting too excited about making any modifications to firing pin/shroud. That may fix the issue. Glad to hear you're solving the mystery.

I have a shroud and firing pen if you need it.

Wait till you change triggers before getting too excited about making any modifications to firing pin/shroud. That may fix the issue. Glad to hear you're solving the mystery.

I‘m trying to understand how a trigger could change how hard or easy the bolt closes. Isn’t it just holding the firing pin in place? The mechanism that is moving is all within the bolt correct?

I‘m trying to understand how a trigger could change how hard or easy the bolt closes. Isn’t it just holding the firing pin in place? The mechanism that is moving is all within the bolt correct?
If the sear was a smidgen too long where it engages the bolt that might do it.

1F3LnOm.jpg

If the sear was a smidgen too long where it engages the bolt that might do it.

1F3LnOm.jpg
Yep. That was the problem when I changed to an old style Timney trigger. It didn't match up properly to the striker. I did some modification to striker to fix it rather than mess with the trigger sear. Lots of strikers available for Springfield 03 so I wasn't too worried about screwing it up. Could easily start over.

Back