Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Reminder - Be Careful

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Not that we go to the hills with reckless disregard, but seems each year a seasoned hunter and friend ends up with some unexpected outcome. Last year it was my buddy David Brinker who impaled his calf on a broadhead when the thick Oregon brush he was pushing through pulled the arrow from his quiver. Thankfully, Corey and a couple other guys were there to help.

When I got off the mountain in Nevada this morning, my phone buzzed with some text messages from my step-sister. Her husband is a life-long family friend and an experienced hunter having hunting much of the world. He had called earlier this summer to talk about his Alaska Dall sheep hunt. The picture, and few sentences that accompanied the messages, show Jeff is luck to be alive.

He shot his ram and when he and the guide walked over to examine and take pictures some rocks gave loose and he fell 30' down the rocks, luckily coming to a halt before going off the next slide that was over 100'. He got air-vac'd by the Coast Guard and is recovering in a hospital.

He is a very experienced guy and not much of a risk taker. Of the hunters I know, he would be toward the bottom of my list of people who I would expect suffer such an event, due to his preparedness.

I am sure I will get more details when he gets home. Point being, it can happen to anyone. Add this event to the First Aid thread posted here recently and it reminds me the need to be safe and be prepared.

Ouch!
47666.jpeg

Never can be too careful. Thanks for the reminder. Here’s to a fast recovery.

Have a buddy in Alaska, his gps clocked him going 35 mph down a hill on his back. Some how he got out of it ok. Other than maybe a new pair of underwear.
Hope he comes back 100%.

Very lucky, great reminder. All of my hunts are solo this year.

I wish him a fast recovery.

That reminds me, be careful, you hunt alone.....
I wound up with a gash in my leg like that once in the Sierra's...came to rest upside down with full pack on on the edge of a 1000' drop off. Do not know how my head came out untouched between 2 knife edge rocks. Taped the leg up & walked out the rest of the way down Mono Pass. Got a packer buddy to sew it up @ Edison Lake & give me a ride.

Back