Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Remembering those who served.

For Jerry Wayne Stanberry, one year ahead of me in HS. 137# Safety. Destroyed every receiver he faced. Visited us after Marine boot camp, said it was cake after two-a-days in August. Dead one year later in Vietnam. We all went to his funeral en mass. My SIL has lost many battle buddies in his 24 years. RIP. May we be worthy of their sacrifices.

Last edited:
I'll add one more thing. As a trumpet player, the VFW guys always called us to play TAPS at various cemeteries
throughout the day, one primary, and one to provide the echo from a distance, unseen. We didn't jump to volunteer, not because we weren't patriotic, but because the guys that were driving us started drinking about 9am; in the car, with teenagers.

Hearing about my friends experiences in Vietnam, watching Band of Brothers, and then listening to the stories from the sand box, I understand.

Sorry guys, I get it.

My mom and dad at the family farm, South Flats, Worland Wyoming.

IMG_5367.png

His ashes are in a columbarium niche in Arlington with room for mom when she dies. Korea twice (the first time was before Marine Corps enlistment/boot camp) as a undercover agent, and then he joined his platoon three days after they landed at Inchon.

He was wounded three times in combat, carrying Chinese bullets in his fibula. He had to deal with a long lasting issue of sudden loud noises going off directly behind him that would trigger a massive flight or fight response that lasted for at least a half an hour.

The Marines took a tough Wyoming farm kid and made him into a ferocious warrior. Coming home, he had intentions of killing an abusive uncle. Fortunately cousins whisked him off to the high country to decompress, and he also was looking forward to meeting the girl he had been writing to while in Korea (my mom).

Attachments

• IMG_5367.png
    IMG_5367.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
IMG_0659.jpeg

My Dad’s best friend, his death had a dramatic effect on the trajectory of my father’s life - and subsequently mine, though I was born a decade after this man’s death. When they dedicated part of Interstate 10 west of San Antonio to his memory a few years back my Dad did the ribbon cutting.

My job barely mentioned Memorial Day; it’s was just a brief thank you for your service in our morning meeting. I had to interrupt and correct the boss that is wasn’t for service it was for sacrifice, the ultimate sacrifice.

It really rubbed me the wrong way and even more so now that they are going all in on pride month with raffles, parties, daily mentioning, etc.

I was trying to last until my son is born in the fall because the one perk of working at a woke company is I get two months paid off after the birth of a child.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madicks2
Back