Remembering 34 years of coyote hunting

Elkhunter

Hahahaha.....cool story.
smile.gif

Awesome story! My grampa has rabbit hunted the same hills for over 50yrs. Anytime the dogs jump a rabbit he tells me where to stand and sure enough here comes the rabbit! Kudos to you!

Most memorable hunts {part1}

Well I've already told about my first coyote hunt. 11 shots at acoyote who didn't know where I was and ran towards me. Never even got hair off him. I had to hear about that for many a moon.
I remember my first fox, I was not quite 8 but my Grandfather would let me walk the 1/4 mile road to the old tractor junk yard. There was always cottontails hanging around there but this day my Grandfather had an idea. It had snowed about 2" durring the night and every track still had hair in it, they were that fresh. Gramps told me the plan and I liked it because I got to carry the Remington 870 .410.
The plan was to walk up the hill into the buffalo grass and see if there was a fox in it, little did I know he had seen the fox go into the grass patch from the house. As I got close the fox blew out the other end and over the hill so I followed. Gramps knew I would. As I got closer to the next patch of tall grass, I slowed down and got closer before the fox left just out of range.
So I followed, Gramps knew I would. To shorten this story, I bumped this fox 9 times. He kept going in a big circle with me pullin drag. Well at not quite 8 I got tired and had to rest. I was sitting ther abought 15 min. when all at once he appeard about 70 yards out and comming, looking back as he snuck down the trail towards the first grass patch where I first spotted him. The whole time getting closer to me.
At the report the fox lay there in the snow and I had my first fox with a shotgun. Looking back I now know why that fox was lookin back and why he got so close. I had chased him around the Hill for 1 1/2 hours. He thought that I was behind him all the time. Newer knew what hit him at 10 yards.
For a 7 going to be 8 year old little boy that fox might as well have been a trophy deer. I remember it well.

Slydog

Dic that is a great story. It reminds me of some of the adventures that I had with my own grandfather. He's been dead and gone for a long time now and I still miss him.
wink.gif

Doug

These are great, and it gets me into the mood to go look for some thing...
My grandfather passed on the year I was going to go for my first hunt with him...
But that set back hasn't stopped me since..
Thanks for sharing memories!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Memories {part 2}

I was a lucky kid to have a Grandfather who tought me many things, hunting, fishing, traping, How to run a lathe and many other shop tools, How to work on my own guns but the one thing I'm thankfull for is that he let me have the run of the place as long as I went by the rules. I spent much of my time at my Grandparents farm outside of Greely Colorado. Gramps place was 360 acres but he was friends with all his neighbors, this was good for me as I had the run of their places also, Totaling around 3500 acres. By my 10th birthday I was driveing an old farm truck everyplace on these farms and that made for good hunting and lots of hard lessons.
This is where my story realy begins. It was Christmas break, I had two weeks to hang with Grandpa but I wasted no time in hanging out in grandpas shop. I had two weeks of hunting till the cows came home planed.
Grandpa told me of a coyote that one of the neighbors was seeing every afternoon by an old pond about 3/4 of a mile from the old barn on the hill behind the house. I had just turned 10 in Oct and had yet to kill my first coyote called in with a call. The call I had at the time was an old Loman that he had given me. He said he never called a coyote with it but it sure made them old bucks stand up so he could shoot them.

So with my old Remington 513T that grandpa made into a single shot and mounted a Burris straight 4x scope on and that Loman predator call I headed out to call a coyote. I didn't know how to blow the damn thing nor did I have any camo but I was ready to hunt. At 10 minor details are just that, minor indeed.

I walked about a mile from the house and sat at the base of an old oak tree and began blowing the hell out of that call. I don't know how long I blew the call but when I stoped I was seeing stars for a few secconds. Remember I had no idea what I was doing. I don't remember how long it was before I saw the coyote coming in at a dead run, I just remember it coming and coming fast. That coyote hit the ground dead from a single shot. I have had a loveaffair with calling ever sence. I looked that coyote over real well on the drag back to the house. He was shot with a .22 single shot @ 15 yards. If I live to be 100 I'll never forget the look on that coyotes face as he spotted me at 15 yards. Nor will I forget the smell. I remember it like it was yesterday and often when I'm hunting I will start daydreaming about that hunt so long ago and of the man who let a young boy be a boy and who supported my hunting so well. although he's gone from this earth he still goes with me every time I go coyote hunting. When I mess up and miss I can hear that ol'man snicker and say "you couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a base fiddle" It always makes me smile.

Slydog

Dic, keep em going,I really love this stuff.
My dad's side of the family is gone now ,Steve side never hunted,so I really miss hearing about it.
We are doing our best to keep it going ,we have been lucky enough to be able to raise our son hunting,fishing, horse's ,motorcycle,whitewater boating,and he is doing the same with his two young kid's.
This beat's the heck out of reading how the gronala cruncher's do it
wink.gif
wink.gif

Nock em dead.
Dic, have you written any of this down in a journal?
I wish so much that my dad's family would of kept a one.

Hi Lady,

I'm glad you enjoy reading my life on the net. I just started writing about 3 years ago, I have done cowboy poems for many years but as you can plainly see I don't spell well. It used to bother me greatly but I've gotten to the point that I realy don't care anymore. I think that if it bothers someone that much they don't have to read my posts. The stuff I write about is for feeling not grammer, look past my short comings and get to the meaning, thats what matters anyway.
I have kept a predator log for 21 or 22 years now and there are some interesting stats there. Maybe I'll write a book someday. LOL Ok, so I'm a redneck.

slydog

Dont hold back Dic,we're waitin.
smile.gif
This yr makes the 10th since my Gramp passed away.Still miss sittin on an old bridge abutment fishin with him.He introduced me to the wonders of listenin to an old lop-eared beagle run rabbits in the swamp down back.Him an that beagle are gone,but the swamp an bunnies are still there.Its still a favorite hangout of mine,a place to take my kids and listen to my buddies lop-eared old beagle run a track.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
Dont hold back Dic,dont hold back.

Great story's dic I love seating around and listening to old timers tell their story's. I can tell you have alot more and I enjoy the story. Ready for part 3.

Short story tonight folks.

Made a howler for Maineiac T O and had it ready to ship but blew a stand yesterday so I unpacked his howler and off I went. The plan was to go back after the coyote that busted me yesterday but on my way there I ran on to the rancher who told me about coyotes that were howling across from his house. Plans change, I headed over a hill about 250 yards from the ranch house and set up.
" I howled three yotes in this afternoon. 1st stand, 2nd set of howls, was fixin to start with the distress when I looked up and there he was 30 yards out and fixed on my decoy. As I got the gun up he started to move off when I barked, he stoped and I had him in the scope. At the report he folded and I spotted 2 more heading out behind the 1st, I swung to the 2nd and started the distressed pup call to stop him. It worked and so did my 20 but the 3rd was not in the cards I missed her 2 times. Bet she will be hard to fool next time. Just as this was all happening it started snowing this wet heavy snow. By the time it was over I was soaked to the bone and frozen.
All in all it was a great day but I'm tired as hell and cold to boot. Will write more tomorrow.
Night all
Sly
biggrin.gif

Coyotes are still classed as a State Menace in South Dakota and Wyoming. I shoot 'em on sight without guilt.

The most fun I ever had was hunting coyotes from a small airplane in eastern Butte County. I used the pilot's gun: a modified Browning auto-loading shotgun in 12 gauge. The magazine held 8 shells. Choke was twist type Poly device set on improved modified. Ammo was #2 lead shot in high base 2 3/4" case.

Pilot would swoop down and I'd shoot from approx. same height as an ordinary telephone pole. If I missed, we'd make a wide turn and come in again. Had a ball!
Jack

Dic- Congrats on the dogs! You said your 20 worked, are you using a 20 cal? If so which one? I'm interested in the Tactical Twenty for a possible varmint rifle.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back