Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Relocating: let the points go?

Do I?

• Total voters
We killed that bill in about 15 minutes. A new legislator was getting started and didn't realize the blowback he would get.

I went fairly easy on him, but made sure he knew that kind of thing was DOA.

Others were pretty rough on him.

You could draw the tag and donate but its to specific people, vets, disabled, etc.
Welp, looks like I’m cashing in next year!

I understood it that I can only donate to a veteran or disabled persons, which my dad is neither. Even such, it doesn’t look like there would be many options compared to if we applied as a party.

Last edited:
This was my original plan but I didn’t find any info how. I also thought about drawing the tag and donating it to my dad but I know I can’t do that. If I can donate the points I would 100% do that.

@BuzzH any truth to this?
I swore I saw this on the WY DNR site and not some government thing....maybe I'm wrong, and if so, sorry. This really SHOULD be an option, but you know how those states work, they would rather screw you so no one can use the points except you and if not, oh well, they made their money.

I swore I saw this on the WY DNR site and not some government thing....maybe I'm wrong, and if so, sorry. This really SHOULD be an option, but you know how those states work, they would rather screw you so no one can use the points except you and if not, oh well, they made their money.
No worries. It would be ideal for this particular situation but I can really see how this can be exploited.

TLDR- I’m relocating to Wyoming. I currently have points in this state, not much though. I cannot apply as a resident in this state until after 365 days. I do want to hunt in the state but unsure if it’s a wise move. I’m going to leverage my points for elk and get a party hunt for my dad and I, I’ll eat the cost for that so he has the experience. Assuming money isn’t an issue, what would you do?
Depends what species and what points. Definitely use your points to average up your dad and get him a hunt. For other species, draw the best units you can with pref points. Residents have a random draw, so while your odds will be better for random you won’t have guaranteed draws. If you have 7 pronghorn points for instance go hunt a 7 point unit. Might take a couples years to draw the same unit as a resident.

I wonder if as a resident with points if you could share them by pooling with a NR. Some draws odds are better in the NR pool with points than in the resident pool.

I think you can it just causes you to be in the NR quota.
We can only hold points for moose and sheep here as a res.
If we don't draw our choices for elk, antelope or deer we are back to square one as a WY resident, thus we cannot accumulate points to work toward getting drawn for a good area.
Yea, figure that one out!

If we don't draw our choices for elk, antelope or deer we are back to square one as a WY resident, thus we cannot accumulate points to work toward getting drawn for a good area.
Yeah on that topic. Tough pill to swallow. I find comfort in knowing that eventually I would draw.

Yeah on that topic. Tough pill to swallow. I find comfort in knowing that eventually I would draw.
Take solace in the fact that if you don't draw a primo elk or deer tag you can get a general tag (which now takes NR a half decade for elk).

But as a NR you already have them and they don’t go away when you move. You can no longer add to them as a resident or use them but if you became a NR again you would be able to.

But as a NR you already have them and they don’t go away when you move. You can no longer add to them as a resident or use them but if you became a NR again you would be able to.
Not sure this is right....because if he is not a NR he can't buy points any longer and if you don't buy point for 2 years all of your points disappear I thought?

From the FAQ - Would this not apply?

• If a person fails to purchase a preference point during the preference point only application period for elk, deer or antelope for two (2) consecutive years, all accumulated points for that species will be lost.

Not sure this is right....because if he is not a NR he can't buy points any longer and if you don't buy point for 2 years all of your points disappear I thought?

• If a person fails to purchase a preference point during the preference point only application period for elk, deer or antelope for two (2) consecutive years, all accumulated points for that species will be lost.

Ok, so if you move before they expire. 2 years worth of hunts if he can share them with his dad by pooling.

That's correct per Wyo G&F.

Here's another good question. Per G&F regulations, nonresidents cannot enter the wilderness without a resident or a guide. If I, legally a resident, draw a nonresident tag per G&F regulations, do I have access to the wilderness?

Almost as fun of a question as "if i bring a ladder to a checkerboard unit...".

Back