Reloading room setup - looking for ideas

Ben Lamb

Since the move, my reloading & tinkering room has been slow to get set up. The safe is in, and there's a desk to do cleaning & other light work. I have a 4x2.5 bench to put together for stock work & other smithing activities, but I'm not sure where I want to go with the reloading bench. I'm leaning towards an 8ft by 2 foot 2x4 bench with 3/4" plywood for a top.

I need to have room for:
RCBS Rockchucker press (most centerfire rifle cartridges)
RCBS Rebel press (Black Powder cartridges)
Hornady Progressive press (pistol & a few higher volume rifle cartridges)
Brass (assume around 10K pieces)
Bullets (assume around 10K)
Tools
Trimmer
2-3 powder measures

Storage underneath for 3 tumblers, targets, some misc storage.

I've got the powder, primer & loaded ammo storage covered, just really need some good ideas on a longer bench.

I repurposed some cabinets I tore out during a remodel. It might be worth perusing Craigslist, etc. to see if you can find some. It makes for nice and clean storage underneath the worktop.

I installed a couple of HomeDepot "collapsable" workbenches. Easy to get into the basement room. Once I got them level and in place I braced and screwed various portions and lag bolted to studs in the wall. These things won't move at all. I also put some solvent resistent clear urethane on top and I view the top mdf as a sacreficial top than can easily be covered over if the need arises. I got them for $60 each, but apparently they aren't selling them anymore. Obviously easy enough to build from scratch. I agree 8' is the starting point. First I had just one 6 footer but add the second as 6 was just not enough.

Ben
Maybe check out the Ultimate Reloader YouTube (GavinToob) for some ideas. He uses a track system that seems to work well.

There is this thread from a few years ago

Also, I am a big fan of french cleat systems for hangin stuff on shop walls -- if you don't mind a little woodworking they can do some incredible things.

Sir, I'm an American. (Will check it out)

Ben
Maybe check out the Ultimate Reloader YouTube (GavinToob) for some ideas. He uses a track system that seems to work well.

I looked at that thread. I really miss my old set up.

Hoping to get some new ideas.

Sir, I'm an American. (Will check it out)

LOL - I originally had typed "Freedom Cleats" (remember restaurants calling french fries, freedom fries during the second Iraq war) to be clever but then changed it because for those who haven't heard of them (or are too young to remember freedom fries) Google-fu would have come up empty. And any reference to Victory Cabbage really dates my knowledge base :)

Ben

I like Gavin's videos, but I am always left with the impression that if $10 will do an adequate job, $100 will do a great job and $500 will do a world-class job, that he finds the $1,000 solution ;)

I'm pretty proud of my new setup.

I made a bench cover out of 1 inch plywood. I bull-nosed another strip of 1" over the front and 1/8 higher than the deck. I painted the top white, and then overlaid it with two part marine epoxy. The color and surface allow me to see and clean up powder spills. All I need to do is brush it onto a paper plate and dump them back in the can. No contamination, no fuss.

With the bench cleared I can do gun maintenance and solvent and lube spills just wipe up.

I clean the surface with a Naptha wipe-down before I star a loading session.

I've mounted my presses, but all my case prep stuff is mounted on a 3" wood block which I C-Clamp to the bench only when I need it.
Everything not in use goes underneath.

I have my press mounted on an Inline Fabrication quick change press mount. It helps save space on the bench as I can remove the press when not needed. I also use it to mount my swager and trimmer when doing case prep.

Also, I am a big fan of french cleat systems for hangin stuff on shop walls -- if you don't mind a little woodworking they can do some incredible things.
A more woodworking -savvy friend of mine suggested this to me. I have a plywood back to my bench that I intend to do something like this for. Have any pictures of your French cleat system?

Scrap lumber and a Hilti nailer will make a great bench, anchored to the floor and wall. I built this beauty in about 1 hour. My advice would be to use more scrap lumber and make it bigger. Come on over to my house next time you’re in Bozeman, and you can feast your eyes on this gem...

908E4ACD-77B8-4E75-9585-36E70CF55A92.jpeg

A 3/4” top won’t survive full length sizing of most rounds. One option would be to use a solid door slab. My father used one of those and glued a piece of Formica on it so it was nice and smooth.

I’ll second, or third or whatever the use of hanging cabinets on the wall. Great for storing things without them getting dusty

Ben, my bench is about exactly what you are describing. I ran 2x4's and i think it is a 1" piece of plywood on top for a total thickness of about 2.5". it is also 8'x2' and anchored to the studs in my wall. I've always preferred my benches to be the height of a bar top with a runner to rest my feet on as well. I have a couple of cabinets and a fold out 5' table on the other side of the room for working on my rifles. This setup has served me well ad provides plenty of strength for resizing even the stiffest cartridges. Please excuse the clutter. It cleans up pretty nice when i get serious about reloading.
reloading room.jpg

Good stuff fellers.

The bench material decision has been made. We're putting in 1.5" butcher block, and I'll have a 40x43 piece leftover. I figure I'll either cut out a 20x20 piece to have an L bench or I'll rip the piece down the middle for a straight bench. Not sure what just yet.

Still looking for cabinets to go underneath, but a 4x4 frame is the alternate solution, with shelves underneath.

Good stuff guys. @shrapnel's set up gives me hope that I'm not the messiest reloader out there. :)

I read awhile back that butcher block countertops make a good reloading work surface, of course it would have to be attached to a solid base.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back