Reloading Equipment

I haven't been able to find brass for a while, primers and powder seem to be a little more available. I went into a place two weeks ago and they must have had 100-1lb canisters of Varget...I grabbed two, next time I went in...all gone...LOL.

I have a Hornady Progressive press...I got it setup and ran a couple hundred 223 to dry test it out...then a major remodel happened so it is boxed now. The shellplates can be tough to find at times. I also bought a micro measure for pistol cartridges. http://ultimatereloader.com/ has youtube videos on setup and use of that press.

odds and ends of reloading components are coming back online. Back in early Dec, I received a large order of powder & primers that I placed just before Obama Re-election. That order still has a few boxes of primers on backorder nearly 18months after I placed it.

Long Colt brass and 30-30 supplies seem to be nearly non-existent.

I stocked up big time on most components(sans some bullets and a little powder) over the last year. Guess I am feeling more lucky after reading that you are just now receiving things! I am planning on finally getting into reloading for my handguns and would like to get a progressive for that task! Thanks for the info!

You guys have any idea what gear I need to invest in to get started reloading, and do you have any recommendations for good articles or books about reloading for a beginner?

I'm only a few years into reloading(about 5-6), but would suggest finding someone you trust for "how to" guide. I think the RCBS "package" are pretty good for starting out.

Whatever you do, don't use a buddies stuff to start with if he is really into it! Cause then it becomes addicting and you will want expensive things like a electronic powder thrower, and electronic case trimmers....:D

I would suggest a RCBS Rockchucker kit. I have one that I have been using for twenty years and probably reloaded 5000 rounds. It is as good today as when I got it.

Try to find a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" by Dean A. Grennell, get your load data from the powder manufacturer's manuals and the Lyman manual, find a mentor who you trust to help you through the minutiae of little things and shortcuts associated with reloading and go slow, be exact and be consistent.

Another option is the Lee equipment - I find that it is often easier to use, just as accurate, and a whole lot cheaper than RCBS. I have a single stage press that is at least 20 years old with no problems.

I would suggest a RCBS Rockchucker kit. I have one that I have been using for twenty years and probably reloaded 5000 rounds. It is as good today as when I got it.
This! IMO, it's about the best bang for the buck. If you decide you don't like it it'll be easy to get most of your money back. Reloading equipment is a lot like tractors, green (RCBS and Redding) resell well just like John Deere.

Every reloading manual has plenty of info at the beginning of the book on the how to load ammo. Read a couple of times and start. It's really not all that hard if one uses just a dash of common sense. As to which manual, I'd buy the one from the bullet company you use the most. Me, I'm partial to Nosler, but do have a few others as well. Never a bad idea to cross reference.

I started with a Lee Kit back in 2004. I have since replaced the important stuff because I found the scale to be inaccurate and the press linkage has failed. Everything was replaced with either Lyman or Hornday equipment. That being said I think Lee Dies, hand primer, and trimmers are a heck of a deal.

Watch Ebay & Gunbroker for some equipment too.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info. I just checked out an RCBS package. Looks like I'd better start saving up!

It's well worth it. I purchased the Rockchucker supreme kit 6 years ago and have only had to add a case trimmer, calipers and more reloading manuals. I'll probably get an electronic powder trickler and scale this year. Someday I'll get a press for shotgun & a progressive.

Damn gents! Figured somebody would flame at me for posting the original. Just thought I would throw it out there, but have learned a ton reading this thread, not being a reloader.......Yet.....

Here is what I use for my reloading setup:

Bair press, RCBS powder measure, Bair powder trickler, RCBS balance beam scale, RCBS case reamer, Lee case trimmers for all calibers that I use, RCBS primer pocket brush, Lyman case tumbler (vibrator), Lee hand priming tool (not necessary, as you can use the arm on your press), cheap caliper, mixed dies-but mostly RCBS, Hornady One Shot case lube spray.

If anyone is wondering, Bair company went out of business many years ago. I got the press 42 years ago.

I do not use digital anything. I do not totally trust anything that is electronic and I personally think that they are an unnecessary expense when buying reloading gear. I weigh every charge that I load, because when I am trying to be safe and get the best accuracy possible, I believe it is necessary-especially with long-grained powder.

Classic press • Powder Measure • Digital Scale • Reloading Man. 8th Ed • Three Die Bushings • Handheld Priming Tool • Reloading Block • Chamfering and Deburing Tool • Powder Trickler and Funnel • One Shot Case Lube • Sure-Loc Lock Ring 6 Pack • Powder Measure Stand • Shellholder Pack 1,2,5,16,35 • Kinetic Bullet Puller • OAL Gauge Straight • Vintage Tin Sign • Pistol Rotor & Metering Assembly • Steel Dial Caliper

Check out Hornady's Classic kit. Comes with everything listed above. Pretty much everything you need to get started except for powder, brass, bullets. Usually goes for around $475.00. Shop around though, you may find it for less.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back