Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Reloading 243 Win with 88gr Hammers?

Fullquiver

I was wondering who has any experience with this Combination and where I should start at with loads. I was given these bullets to try and have no ideas where to start. I have 4064 Varget and H4831 to choose from for powder and am using Lapua Brass and I have a plethora of primers to choose from... Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Well, I hope your 243 has a fast twist because those bullets require a 1:8 instead of the standard 1:10 that most factory 243s have.

If that’s all squared away, I’d hit up Steve at Hammer. He’s on his way to Africa right now but he’s super helpful in pointing you the right direction with his projectiles

Well, I hope your 243 has a fast twist because those bullets require a 1:8 instead of the standard 1:10 that most factory 243s have.

If that’s all squared away, I’d hit up Steve at Hammer. He’s on his way to Africa right now but he’s super helpful in pointing you the right direction with his projectiles
I talked to him yesterday. He was in NY looking for food. If the twist issue is squared away, the Hammer site has lots of info. mtmuley

I don't have a 1:8 twist so is this a hopeless situation to try. Like I said someone gave them to me and I really had no desire to go to a solid copper bullet as it's not my thing. I was just looking to get some information on a possible load for these bullets. If this is just a tail chasing exercise then I just won't go there as they aren't something that I am all that interested in anyways.. I haven't seen too many 1:8 twist 243's anyways.. I guess I'll just throw them out then..

I don't have a 1:8 twist so is this a hopeless situation to try. Like I said someone gave them to me and I really had no desire to go to a solid copper bullet as it's not my thing. I was just looking to get some information on a possible load for these bullets. If this is just a tail chasing exercise then I just won't go there as they aren't something that I am all that interested in anyways.. I haven't seen too many 1:8 twist 243's anyways.. I guess I'll just throw them out then..
Bet you could trade them. If you want to try some monos, the 80 grain will stabilize in a 10. I have a box of the 70 grain I haven't tried yet. Hammers are a great bullet. mtmuley

Bet you could trade them. If you want to try some monos, the 80 grain will stabilize in a 10. I have a box of the 70 grain I haven't tried yet. Hammers are a great bullet. mtmuley
I really have no real desire to try mono's I don't see that I have a need for them as the 2 243 rifles that I have I already have a large supply of bullets and loads that are very accurate and offer excellent terminal performance on everything that i would use them on.. They were just a gift and I thought that I would try them but being that they need a rifle with a twist that I don't have and don't have a need for I could maybe give them to someone or just pitch them. I guess that is just where I am at with this scenario..

Not everything people say or you read is gospel. I'd look up load data for a 90 gr bullet and get some trigger time. Whats the worst that could happen if you exercise some common sense? They might work just fine. BTW, someone has probably already sent you a pm to take them off your hands. Good luck.

. Whats the worst that could happen if you exercise some common sense?
That I could waste some powder and primers that I can't easily replace and my time.. (The primers isn't a big deal really but I don't want to really waste the powder) and actually I don't have a plan to buy more as I don't really want or need to.. JMHO

That I could waste some powder and primers that I can't easily replace and my time.. (The primers isn't a big deal really but I don't want to really waste the powder) and actually I don't have a plan to buy more as I don't really want or need to.. JMHO
If you are going to throw them away, I will take them. And pay shipping. PM me. mtmuley

Hammer bullets are stated with twist "recommendations" that they know provide the stability and accuracy for that specific bullet. Will the bullet shoot in slower twist? Of course, as accurately? No. With the scarcity of components, why shoot a bullet that the manufacturer is telling you will not be as accurate with slower twist? Mono bullets are different animal from cup and core and twist is major consideration with shooting them accurately.

I have a .243VLS 1:9.25 and I can shoot the 80 OK but shoots the 70 absolutely lights out. Now if I was at elevation, I could shoot the 80 fine. Tried to convince wife this was good reason to move west.

-243-Cal-088g-Hammer-Hunter-Hammer-Bullets.jpg

I know you are asking about hammers so take this information as just a possible reference point......... I load 80grain TTSX for a .243 my beginning hunter son, his gun has a 20 inch 1/10 twist barrel. 42.2 grains of RL17 and get an average speed of 3134. Shoots pretty darn accurate. Your mileage may vary and be very careful using other folks load information.

Last edited:
*ahem*

You should have gotten 80gr and 88gr projectiles in your package. If you have only the 88s, then we need to contact Hammer and resolve that issue.

This is the last time I get someone reloading supplies on a feeling of whimsy lol

*ahem*

You should have gotten 80gr and 88gr projectiles in your package. If you have only the 88s, then we need to contact Hammer and resolve that issue.

This is the last time I get someone reloading supplies on a feeling of whimsy lol
Yeah I was going to get ahold of you. I got 88 GR in the package.. I wasn't sure what you bought but what I got was the 88gr hunters.. I was going to get ahold of you this week.

.243 Cal-080g Hammer Hunter - Sample Pack of 15
1 $19.80

Where are my friend's 80gr hunters, Steve???

Did you not get some bullets you were supposed to? mtmuley

It would seem so. First I entered the wrong address for shipping, so it might have gotten messed up when it was shipped out the second time. Probably should have checked with fullquiver to make sure he got all the stuff that was supposed to be in there. Lousy hindsight.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back