Caribou Gear Tarp

Red Stag, a nice one.

Tom

View

He first got shot with an arrow, it turned out, too low and too far back. Then we blood trailed him. Three shots later, here he is. It was messy for a while.

Great animal, Tom. I'm not really familiar with red stag, but that looks like some pretty impressive headgear (looking at the mass and all). Either way, nice bull. :D

Real nice Red Deer, Tom. Great Job! Where were you huntin' ?
gunslinger.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 20 October 2001 19:33: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

Gilamonster, on some weekends I guide for Thompson Temple in the Texas Hill country. Our "base camp" is at Inn of the Hills Resort in Kerrville. "Spike camp" is where we were at, it has AC cabins with electricity but we take our own water. I'm going to guide for a fallow next weekend. Mostly, I just help them with my knowledge of the ranch and hunting there and help them get their animal out, but sometimes more.

Ok, Tom: I know Thompson Temple. He was in charge of Exotics as a member of the SCI Trophy Records Committee. I had a discussion with him a few years ago concerning a Hybrid Ibex that I took. I think he's at the 777 Ranch near Mountain Home, I think. Right?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03 September 2001 23:40: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

Pretty close, 777 ranch is near San Antonio and Hondo, Mountain home is near several of his ranches that he has animals to hunt. He moved a couple of years ago to live and guide on his personal ranch, the Rocky Top in Barksdale. He also started Records of Exotics but was on SCI committees yes. He has a web page, but its out right now due to "red code virus", whatever that is
http://www.thompsontemple.texaswildlife.net/

There are a lot of hybrid Ibex in Texas. I've read, its because they survive better as hybrids than as pure ones, and they hybrid easily. Your Ibex is awesome!! I don't think I've seen one so long. Thompson has one left on the Cowboy ranch that he is letting grow to see how big he will get. There's a bunch of not so big ones at the Forest ranch that we hunt. I'll try and get a picture of the big one sometime and we can watch him grow too. I have one from last year, I'll get another.

Tom, our Bezoar Ibex population is "pure" on the Florida Mountains and also on Las Tres Hermanas and the Portrillo Mountains. There are a few that have hybridized with feral goats throughout the southern Blackrange. I've got a hybrid from there, also. He's not even close to the pure one in that picture, though. It's hard hunting (hundreds of square miles) for a handful of "goats". I got lucky, once. It took me three years to find them one time. We were able hunt for them year round. There are also a few feral goats there, also. No license required. I have one of those also. Pic below. I broke my camera on that hunt while packing him out, so the only pic that I have is this one that was taken in the front yard.

008.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07 September 2001 11:10: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back