Red dot for the wife?

pilsner

Just ordered a Mossberg Patriot super bantam youth rifle in 6.5 CM for the 4'11" wife.
One problem- she is cross eye dominate (and has zero desire to learn to shoot left handed).
Red dot optic or reflex site?
And what brand/optic is recommended?
Purpose is large critter hunting in Arkansas with a rare long shot being 200 yards along with range practice/plinking.
Budget is ~$250 or less.
I also get 40% off of Vortex products if I order through ExpertVoice but I'm OK with any brand that offers a lifetime warranty like Leupold or Sig.
Thanks!

In my experience with firearms instruction and my own son who is cross eye dominant, the level of eye dominance plays a big role in how it affects the shooter. Some shooters like my son need to shoot left handed - the cross dominance is too strong for him to overcome. Others can deal with it and learn to shoot using their weak eye and keep the dominant eye open. Some close their dominant eye.

I’m not sure that the red dot will make much difference to the eye dominance issue unless you can mount it ahead of the ejection port like a scout rifle. If you can do that, she may do well with it.

As for brand, I’ve heard the Vortex works well for the price but have no experience with it. I’ve only used Aimpoints, which are great, but expensive.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the eye dominance issue.

Get her some safety glasses and put a piece of scotch tape over it. This should change her eye dominance while she shoots.. Then she could use whatever she wants to shoot with..

Just keep both eyes open. We ALL should do this ! It's quite easy to quickly change eye focus and make an accurate shot. Takes a couple practice sessions, but after ya get it, it just seems natural as hell.

Buying a scope for my rifle was the funniest thing that had happened to me in months. I searched the Internet for sight and found the top 9 sights for my rifle https://www.alloutdoors.com/best-red-dot-sight-for-ar15/ . I ordered one scope, I got the package, and I started assembling and installing the scope on the rifle. I sit happy that I have collected everything I take a look and everything seems normal to me, I use a rifle for 2 months and then my brother comes who understands me better and says that I attached the sight on the contrary. I laughed so much that I think all my neighbors heard, so ask you, someone, to install if you don't know how to do it.

Last edited:
I'm left eye dominate and have shot with one eye closed all my life. I think people make a lot more out of eye dominance than there is to it. Example, what is the difference between closing the left eye and taping shut the left lens on glass's? I can also shoot left handed if I feel like it, seldom do though. When I do that I close my right eye!

BTW, if 200yds is all you plan on shooting I'd strongly recommend getting a fixed 2 3/4 power scope. That's what I use on my elk rifle. 2 3/4x Redfield I bought new about 1971. The rifle is in 30-06. Another thought is 1-4x. Have that one on a 308 I shoot cast bullet's with. I'd say it first but at 2x I can see the barrel in the scope, distraction. Also you might try a fixed 4x. Years ago used them a lot, back them I wasn't to big on variable's. These days variables are a lot easier to find!

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back