Red dot for the wife?

pilsner

Just ordered a Mossberg Patriot super bantam youth rifle in 6.5 CM for the 4'11" wife.
One problem- she is cross eye dominate (and has zero desire to learn to shoot left handed).
Red dot optic or reflex site?
And what brand/optic is recommended?
Purpose is large critter hunting in Arkansas with a rare long shot being 200 yards along with range practice/plinking.
Budget is ~$250 or less.
I also get 40% off of Vortex products if I order through ExpertVoice but I'm OK with any brand that offers a lifetime warranty like Leupold or Sig.
Thanks!

In my experience with firearms instruction and my own son who is cross eye dominant, the level of eye dominance plays a big role in how it affects the shooter. Some shooters like my son need to shoot left handed - the cross dominance is too strong for him to overcome. Others can deal with it and learn to shoot using their weak eye and keep the dominant eye open. Some close their dominant eye.

I’m not sure that the red dot will make much difference to the eye dominance issue unless you can mount it ahead of the ejection port like a scout rifle. If you can do that, she may do well with it.

As for brand, I’ve heard the Vortex works well for the price but have no experience with it. I’ve only used Aimpoints, which are great, but expensive.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the eye dominance issue.

Fullquiver

Get her some safety glasses and put a piece of scotch tape over it. This should change her eye dominance while she shoots.. Then she could use whatever she wants to shoot with..

Gunner46

Just keep both eyes open. We ALL should do this ! It's quite easy to quickly change eye focus and make an accurate shot. Takes a couple practice sessions, but after ya get it, it just seems natural as hell.