Red Diesel

Lots of them at truck stops in eastern Montana and across North Dakota at truck stops
Enough to fuel every truck pulling in? That info was from a trucking company here in the Root. He said it wasn't feasible across the country to try to use red dye if it was approved.mtmuley
 
I’ve got a 2001 5 speed Cummins that 65mph is about as fast as you can go so I’m in no danger of getting a speeding ticket. But I can tell you which fuel I get better mileage with. Or so I’ve heard I should say
My 96 7.3 5 speed gets good mileage but it never sees 50 mph. My 2000 7.3 4spd auto gets 12.6 no matter what. It will top out at 102 mph. I do know that I get up to 21 mpg once I get away from the the CA piss water diesel.
 
What is funny about this debate - if you used mcdonalds french fry oil to run your diesel truck neither the tax man nor the oil man get a cut and youre not illegal.

Ive got news for some of you - lots and lots of diesel pickups in rural areas have done this for decades.
 
If the use of red dye is approved, it's if zero use to OTR truck drivers anyway. Helps a few with diesel pickups that can access the red dye pumps. Major truck stops don't have them that can service 100's of trucks per day. mtmuley
Only approved for farm use vehicles. Over the road trucks are excluded.
 
Traveling from Iowa through SD to WY this weekend. I looked it up for those states. Iowa is allowing it in semis and pickups IF you are using it for farm use, hauling manure, grain, hay, etc. - NOT allowed in my pickup to haul the boat to the lake. SD governor told his people to not test for it until 2027, so its not necessarily legal but they will not be enforcing it. Wyoming is not allowing red diesel in passenger trucks or semis on highways at all. Not change to laws in WY as of today. So, I'm just not gonna risk it. I could probably burn it all the way across SD but after all the dough I've spent on hunting supplies and tag, etc. a few more bucks on fuel isn't gonna kill me.
I burn straight #1 clear diesel in the extreme parts of the winter when high temps are single digit or below. It costs more but it's worth it to not gel up. Around here #2 clear diesel is used in summer and most stations add a percentage of #1 to their #2 tank in the winter to prevent gelling. Not so sure I'll buuy another diesel in the future. DEF is a whole other discussion and PIA.
 
What is funny about this debate - if you used mcdonalds french fry oil to run your diesel truck neither the tax man nor the oil man get a cut and youre not illegal.

Ive got news for some of you - lots and lots of diesel pickups in rural areas have done this for decades.

We bought our old diesel from my wife’s grandma when her grandpa passed away. Was a ranch pickup its whole life. I bet that old pickup was in shock the first time I put roadmaster in it
 
I wondered that too. I was under the assumption that you run off road once and the dot dips your tank it is tainted. Idk though.
I run a bottle of ATF through the tank once a month to clean the injectors. An old logger told me about that years ago. Never had a problem with them yet, your honor.
 
Trying to figure out the economic logic here: Is red diesel somehow less scarce than the normal stuff? If not, wouldn’t it be easier just to suspend some of the tax on the regular diesel?
That cuts against the theatrics of this. The red dye exec order is valid, although unlikely to help in any way. Suspending the road tax on undyed diesel would require congressional action.
 
Trying to figure out the economic logic here: Is red diesel somehow less scarce than the normal stuff? If not, wouldn’t it be easier just to suspend some of the tax on the regular diesel?

There's no logic, it's performative.

No wide scale distribution significantly limiting any benefit (we should really just stop here).
Possible increase/price gouging for farmers in need.
Questionable state compliance
Questionable warranty issues

12894.gif
 
Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what states are allowing red diesel, partially untaxed, to be used on road. I have used red fuel for years and years in our equipment. It used to be necessary to have it delivered but a few years ago it became available at the pump at my fuel jobber. The issue that you may find is that it has a very high volume nozzle. If you were to try and use it in a road vehicle it would be a train wreck. The high volume nozzles and pumps fill a 100 gallon tank in a matter of a minutes. I seriously doubt that a passenger vehicle or pickup could handle that kind of volume.
I use tractor fuel and large pumps in my duramax all the time with no issues.
 
As stated before, IF your state allows it, you still have to pay the tax later. How or whom is keeping records I don’t know
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,158
Messages
2,251,712
Members
39,104
Latest member
Booner
Back
Top