Recurves, longbows, self bows... Any Advise & Who makes the best at lower prices?

Martin Archery has a good selection of longbows and recurves that are fairly inexpensive (factory production) yet shoot well and are dependable. Sauk Trail Archery makes some nice semi-custom bows that fall in the $400 range and are a great value. I've got a PSE Coyote recurve (metal handle) that I use as a back-up bow---shoots great--about $200.

I've shot a couple of DQ's bows--the 72" long bow he used to make was very smooth. I didn't care much for the recurve but it was fast. I don't think Dan makes the bows himself--sub-contracts the work is my understanding. I haven't seen a Quillan bow for a long time--what are the selling for now?

He's running unfinished bows at $70.00 + shipping (68"), but when I talked with him over the phone he said he'd build me a 72" unfinished kit for the same price. He's got some finished bows in the $250+ range.

When I picked up my longbow, the bowyer basically sold it to me for cost. Materials only and no labor. He hasn't gone big time yet but eventually he will. I think I paid like $70 bucks for it - fiberglass laminations over zebrawood with black/red phenolic accents. By brother bought a take down recurve for bowfishing for about $75.

I own A LOT of traditional bows and have built quite a few over the years. The trend the last few years, in my opinion, is that tradtitional and lower price can't be used in the same sentence. They have really sky rocketed in price.

I have a few Quillian bows and they are fast and fairly inexpensive.....however, my personal opinion is they kick more than others in their class. I personally enjoy shooting my Brackenbury or a Black Widow over all others.......but cheap they are not.

Check out Kustom King Arrows website and check out the bows they sale for some boyers. Some are mass produced, but others are custom built and are in your price range. They are smooth shooters and are a good deal.

I could have sold you one of mine that I build, but I sold the last one a few months ago and don't plan on building anymore. You can see a picture of it under the bow picture thread. Good luck and hope it helps.

I've hunted with compound bows for more then 25 years. I recently cleaned out my compound gear, and decided it was time to shoot/hunt traditionally. I intend to build my own bows in time, but am/was looking for one to start with. I think I will order one from DQ as a starter.

check out black widow bows if you have the money, or martin makes one heck of a bow. I have a martin hatfield take down recurve and its more accurate then any recurve that ive shot.

Be careful on the unfinished bows. A few years back we had a Hunter Ed Instructor workshop where we finished longbows, paid $90 for them and they needed a little tiller work, sanding, smoothing and the like. I shot mine for 9 months then it blew up in my face, have heard that 3 others blew up on their owners too. These were hickory/Cherry wood laminated, really pretty but sure suprised me - left me standing there with the riser in my hand, string in the other and both limbs lying in the dirt. If I hadn't had sunglasses on may have messed up an eye, as it was I had a couple cuts on my forehead just above the glasses.

I haven't been on Hunt Talk for awhile so I just now seen your post. I believe the question who builds the best bow is a personal opion. You definitely can't go wrong with any of the major brands that are on the market. The bow I hunt with most of the time was made for me by a bowyer in Boise. It is a laminated longbow. But I have some recurves that I love to shoot. I just love the older Bear bows. Just recently while in Cabelas' I shot a Montana Longbow made by Bear. It shot great and at $270.00 it is a good bow for the money.

I have been shooting traditional bows for many years. Just this last year I have made a couple of bows. Took lessons from John Strunk while at the Western States Traditional Bow show in Ontario this last year. If you are interested in building selfbows I suggest reading Primitive Archer and The Bowyers Journal they both have websites. I would also suggest that you purchase or borrow the Traditional Bowyer's Bible. If you would like to talk to some one about building a selfbow there is a bowyer, just across the border from you, in Thompson Falls, Montana his name is Chad Sivertsen. I don't know the man but most traditional bowyers are always willing to help anyone who needs it.

Welcome to the world of traditional archery and good luck.

I have a couple take down long bows made by Jay StCharles, son of Glen StCharles...

These are really smooth shooting long bows, light weight and break down to about two feet long

I think his site is "PacificYew.com"

The bows aren't cheap, but you do get your money's worth and I believe they would last a life time plus for any one shooting alot

I have a Martin X-200 recurve and love it. It used to cost around 280, but it recently jumped up a tad. I would recomend it to anyone. My best advice would be to find someone with the bow your looking for and try it out. Take your time in finding the right bow.

Here are some other recurves I have shot,

Predator- fast, moderatly quiet. uncomfortable girp in my opinion though. around $500

Black widow- fast, quiet, beutiful, and expensive.

Great Plains- the best bow I have shot so far. deathly silent, and very traditional looking.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back