Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Recommended (most inexpensive) Hunting trips

RyanLawsonHunter

Hey,
I am interested in recommendations for a bow hunt next year... looking for something that involves public land and an over-the-counter tag. Elk, Deer or Mule Deer is what I would like.

CO is on the list but looking for another suggestion.

Thanks all!

Montana archery elk. Idaho archery deer. Second choice/left-over Wyoming deer archery/rifle. AZ OTC archery deer.

Wyoming leftover deer tag + habitat stamp - $380
Gas - $500
Camping on public land - Free
Food - $0 (you were going to eat at home anyway)
Miscellaneous/Spending money - $200

That's a deer hunt for a little over a grand. You could even do it cheaper if the gas was split up between several folks.

I think I spent around $600 total on my Wyoming deer hunt last year. Hunted a leftover tag in a region with a ton of river-bottom WIAs, which is where we saw most of the deer. Pressure was incredibly high during the short rifle season, but I bet you'd pretty much have those areas to yourself during archery.

Hey,
I am interested in recommendations for a bow hunt next year... looking for something that involves public land and an over-the-counter tag. Elk, Deer or Mule Deer is what I would like.

CO is on the list but looking for another suggestion.

Thanks all!

I you're looking to save some money, I would think a mule deer hunt in your home state would be a great opportunity:)

Define 'inexpensive'. There's not a whole lot out west that most people would consider inexpensive unless you're splitting the cost between a couple of people.

What Cushman said. Western hunting isn't inexpensive unless you divide the costs. Hunting does/cows is a bargain compared to antlered game.

You can do OTC archery mule deer and antelope in NE for about $370ish total for both. To my knowledge that is the cheapest multi species tag combo you can get that will still allow you to hunt bucks. After that I think WY and ID will be your best bet for low cost tag options. I don't consider MT inexpensive due to the tag cost now but the general tags are easily available. If you are factoring driving costs with tag costs then MT and ID will be out and CO, WY will be your best options for inexpensive hunts.

South Dakota archery is fairly cheap and you can shoot either a muley or whitetail. Archery antelope is a possibility there as well. You have to apply for the tags, but they are guaranteed.

Almost all of the cheap OTC options are archery, with a few rifle options like late season in CO, general tags in WY or a general tag in MT. That is a nice feature of MT tags, they are good through both seasons, just need your archery stamp and go hunting.

Really depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking just to get out and hunt, or are you looking for success? Antelope in WY give you both. Elk anywhere will be 100 times tougher for success. Deer can fall in between, but, if you aren't picky, small bucks are pretty available in most places. Don't forget small game in those places like grouse.

Jeremy

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I agree the word "inexpensive" is a vague term.. Under $1000 total for the entire trip is more my speed. That wound include tag, gas,food,etc... I have become a huge fan of western hunts ... the main issue I have is that I typically only have 1 week to take this trip so driving further west then CO just doesn't seem doable and would limit my hunting time. If only I could plan 15 trips per year... hmmm, gotta figure how to pull that off!!

May be time to move to Bozeman? :D Thanks guys! This is a great site and I appreciate you all taking the time to respond!!

And here I am looking to hunt your State :rolleyes:

Kansas Buck tag is a bit spendy for a NR at close to $500 with license, definitely would be the most expensive part for me, but the areas I want to hunt are under a 4 hour drive from my house. Sure like the cost of Kansas doe tags though and luckily just enjoy hunting & eating deer enough that doe tags will be just fine and OTC

For $1000 and limited time, I'd max out on doe antelope tags or get a cow elk tag in WY.

It's a great state! Lots of public walk-in to hunt. Heavy traffic but big bucks are taken every year. I have an excellent private spot just 2 miles from my house so I'm pretty spoiled. Land owners are becoming more and more protective so good pvt spots are hard to find unless you are willing to lease. I sell land on teh side so if I come across opportunities every now and then to hunt my listings but not often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back