Recommendations for Elk Hunt - New Mexico

Kmarsh1966

I’m wanting to do my first elk hunt. I‘m wanting to do a guided - not super back country kill your self hunt. I think I am looking for a 300”+. A buddy suggested that a Landowner tag might be an economical method. I searched on FB elk group and got 15-20 guides contacting me, plus 3-4 references directing to a guide. So far I’m getting limited information on them....

From the Non Gides - what should the cost be ?

I would appreciate any suggestions of things to be aware of, or beware of.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

If your gonna go guided, the backcountry is the way I would go. Utilize an outfitters resources that you might not have access to yourself. For example, off limits wilderness in WY and horse power.
The outfitter is gonna take care of the pack out.

If your looking for an intro to western hunting without killing yourself, antelope.

I’m wanting to do my first elk hunt. I‘m wanting to do a guided - not super back country kill your self hunt. I think I am looking for a 300”+. A buddy suggested that a Landowner tag might be an economical method. I searched on FB elk group and got 15-20 guides contacting me, plus 3-4 references directing to a guide. So far I’m getting limited information on them....

From the Non Gides - what should the cost be ?

I would appreciate any suggestions of things to be aware of, or beware of.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Just because it is a landowner tag don't think it will be an easy hunt for a 300" bull. Most landowner tags are unit wide meaning the place they own might suck for hunting many times. A guy can have 10 acres of field and get a landowner tag. Ranch only landowner tags are going to be pretty pricey but might offer a lazy hunt with a chance at a good bull.

First off, you can answer most of your own questions by visiting the NM Game and Fish website and reading the regulations.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/

You should contact some outfitters and consider applying for the draw with them. It'll increase your odds of getting a tag. Drawing a tag will allow you to hunt anywhere in the unit and will be less expensive than buying a landowner tag. If you don't draw a tag, then search for landowner tags. Most outfitters will also have a bunch of landowner tags lined up in case you don't draw an outfitter allocated tag.

Landowner bull tags will cost anywhere from $2k to $10k+ depending on the unit plus the non-res elk tag. You can find them cheaper, by good luck.

Lastly, I wouldn't rule out a DIY hunt in NM. Most units in NM are very mild compared to the rest of the Rocky Mountains, and I would say NM is highly accessible. A common thought is that the toughest part about hunting in NM is getting a tag.

If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

If you have some money, the Ladder Ranch would fit what you’re looking for.

Also, The Gila is backcountry but I think going with a guide in any of the 16 units into the wilderness would be a great trip too. I’d rather do the latter, but the former fits what you described.

A3 has hunts ranging from a 5 day rifle/muzz for $5,250 to a 10 day archery $6,750. I would imagine most other outfitters are in that range.
I would steer away from a ranch only landowner tag unless it is a big property or has some prime feature to it (water).

Also, The Gila is backcountry but I think going with a guide in any of the 16 units into the wilderness would be a great trip too. I’d rather do the latter, but the former fits what you described.

Landowner tags are pretty much if not totally non-exisitant in the true 16 wilderness unit. The surrounding Gila units are $$$$$. I hunted with an outfitter there last year, the landowner tag for that unit that he sells is over 10k, plus the outfitter fees. Takes a very deep pocketbook.
The more you can spend on a landowner tag the better the unit, in theory anyways. That said a 300" bull is certainly doable on the less popular units especially with a guide that knows the area well.

Does Ted Turner still own the Ladder Ranch? I didn't think he allowed hunting on it, unless you are talking about a different Ladder Ranch.
I believe Turner owns it. A friend of mine won a hunt on it this year in a raffle through the AZ bighorn society and had a great hunt. He said it wasn’t terribly physical or anything. Killed a bull around 360
There were other hunters in camp that come every year to hunt and they killed good bulls too he said.

Does Ted Turner still own the Ladder Ranch? I didn't think he allowed hunting on it, unless you are talking about a different Ladder Ranch.
I believe he does. I heard hunting is allowed, very limited & don't ask price....,like the lodging. Met his ranch lodging manager once,nice gal.
A whole slew of smaller than Ladder Ranches with similar pricing. Tons of wanna be's now....

LO tag system got keelhulled last year. Smaller than 3000ac ranches will be lucky to get one tag now,in a lottery. So no even semi reliable income for them.
Big ranches, they will get what they or the outfitters want now. Same as other western states.Their tags did get cut too,in half. So expect prices to compensate for lost tags.

I bet the $3500 for MB tag hunt with meals deals are gone. Those went for $5K this year,for a cow hunt.
Residents got more tags like they wanted and the ranches that do get tags, will price for the Sitka Divas like elsewhere too. More ranches bought outright last year around me & leasing is the new normal for the not average family.
One should wait a year or so.I hear elk tags will be OTC unlimited soon like deer & antelope. NM used to be a great place to hunt.

Only 16b is wilderness in the gila and u cant really buy tags for that unit. All the other 16's sell landowner tags but u better have 10k plus

Back