Recommendations for 16 gauge shotgun

VikingsGuy

Looking for recommendations on new production (or high quality used) 16 gauge shotgun for upland hunting. Biased towards semi-auto, but O/U also is a possibility. Pump, breach and SxS are not of interest for this purchase. I want to use choke tubes, not fixed. Would like to keep the price under $2,000 with chokes. Guns that lend themselves to adjusting for heavy cast-off are a plus.

Looking for recommendations on new production (or high quality used) 16 gauge shotgun for upland hunting. Biased towards semi-auto, but O/U also is a possibility. Pump, breach and SxS are not of interest for this purchase. I want to use choke tubes, not fixed. Would like to keep the price under $2,000 with chokes. Guns that lend themselves to adjusting for heavy cast-off are a plus.

Man, when I hear 16ga the first thing that pops into my head is a nice side by side......

Do they even make new models in the 16?

The new sweet 16's are really nice, but that's the only semi 16 ga I'm aware of. Franchi, Browning and CZ all make O/U's in 16. There may be others.

That's a rare bird, you're after Mr. Audubon. Most roads lead to Browning, in the new A5 or in a Citori. I would imagine there are some quality German o/u's that would fit the bill from Merkel, Simson, etc but you're likely going to need Briley to do the tubes. Many vintage German guns are cast way off.

"adjusting for heavy cast off" what is that? You want a gun with a lot of cast off? Or you want a gun that compensates for someone's cast off? Never heard of guns adjusting for cast off, but they can have adjustable cast off - perhaps that is what you meant?

You can always bend a gun for cast off - well not always, but often.

Too bad you rule out side bys.

"adjusting for heavy cast off" what is that? You want a gun with a lot of cast off? Or you want a gun that compensates for someone's cast off? Never heard of guns adjusting for cast off, but they can have adjustable cast off - perhaps that is what you meant?

You can always bend a gun for cast off - well not always, but often.

Too bad you rule out side bys.
As my gun guy says, “you have a fat face” so I have had to adapt most shotgun stocks to provide for max cast off adjustment - to the point of doing some grinding. It is easier to do with stocks that seat on the action flush vs ones like many o/u that are kind of “serrated”. As for SxS I already have a really nice Model 21 - but just not a fan of that form factor.

okay, you simply want a stock with a lot of cast off.

Buy European and they will be easier to bend. If you need a tutorial on bending one I can email one to you. I don't fie the flush vs. "serrated" issue to be an issue at all. It won't be bent there.

Be prepared for more recoil.

Unfortunately the red label isn't made in 16ga.
A 20 or 28ga. with 28" barrel would be nice to me though. Light weight and fast handling.
Tough to get 16 gauge ammo around my part of the world.

I'd go with the Browning a5 sweet sixteen. It's a sweet shooting gun. I've also shot CZs in sixteen gauge and they are a good gun for the money but definitely not citori quality

okay, you simply want a stock with a lot of cast off.

Buy European and they will be easier to bend. If you need a tutorial on bending one I can email one to you. I don't fie the flush vs. "serrated" issue to be an issue at all. It won't be bent there.

Be prepared for more recoil.

The cast on most German guns is fairly aggressive. Lots of fat faced Teutons out shooting grouse & rabbits. ;)

JP Sauer & Sohn, etc, are what you're looking for in a over under.

Most of the semi autos are cast straight. You can have a custom stock made or you can try to bend one. If you are nervous about it, Griffin & Howe in NJ have a great shop that should be able to accommodate you.

Not a top of the line shotgun, but i picked up a Stevens 555 in 16 gauge O/U. Interchangeable choke tubes and fits like a dream, have yet to shoot it though. Will be a nice lightweight pheasant gun this fall. It was around 700 out the door.

VikingsGuy: I am an A5 guy myself and have loved mine. I bought mine a couple years ago, and love it.

I just looked on Gunbroker, and they have a bunch (brand new) Northern Firearms which is in Walker, MN. Both of these below are $1519 brand new.
Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen Walnut 16 Ga 26-2.75In
Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen Walnut 16 Ga 28-2.75In
If you decide to go with the A5 shop around, I've seen them for under $1300 on occasion and $1350-1400 pretty regularly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back