Reccomended Gear for 1st Elk Hunt in 2020

I
Really? Are you talking about the older units of the brand new one that is a full GPS and InReach in one package? Did it just not charge or did you get an error or something?
have the explorer se and it would not charge as well as Garmin s website specifically saying warranty is voided if you charge from one

I

have the explorer se and it would not charge as well as Garmin s website specifically saying warranty is voided if you charge from one
I'll be darned. Didn't know that. Kind of a raw deal on Garmin's part to make a Backcountry device without replaceable batteries and then not make it compatible with mobile chargers

I'll be darned. Didn't know that. Kind of a raw deal on Garmin's part to make a Backcountry device without replaceable batteries and then not make it compatible with mobile chargers

it gives an exclamation mark warning where it would normally show charging icon.

it gives an exclamation mark warning where it would normally show charging icon.

Please post a link to the documentation.

I searched and searched and couldn't find anything supporting this claim. I've used a garmin mini with an Anker charger for 2 years and never had an issue.

I'm assuming you got the light because you were either trying to charge it sitting outside on a table and it was too cold or trying to charge it and had it on the dashboard of your car and it got too hot. I've found the best method to charge mine when it's cold is to do so while in my sleep bag before bed or in the morning.

Owners manual
1572618794112.png

1572618909640.png

1572618957732.png

I just got off the phone with Garmin. Third party power sources are acceptable ( to a certain point ). My Anker puts out too much power which is why I got the warning signal on upper right corner. 3,000mA is the upper limit for any Garmin handheld device. Not recommended and can damage the unit there or above. So when purchasing a charger stick with 2A output or less.

That makes sense. I haven't used my portable battery pack with my InReach (I have the old Delorme version) before since I have never been away from either the truck or other power source for long enough to need to. I bought the Anker I have just this fall for a solo bow hunt but only ended up using it to charge my phone. I wanted to see how many days I could go with the InReach turned on from the time I left camp to the time I came back without charging. It was a short hunt but 3 days later it still had plenty of juice. I only use it to send a couple of "all's good" messages a day and don't use tracking points.

I just got off the phone with Garmin. Third party power sources are acceptable ( to a certain point ). My Anker puts out too much power which is why I got the warning signal on upper right corner. 3,000mA is the upper limit for any Garmin handheld device. Not recommended and can damage the unit there or above. So when purchasing a charger stick with 2A output or less.
I appreciate you doing your due diligence and calling... also eye rolling at garmin.

For the most part the max out put on the Anker devices the max input is 2A and output is 2A. A few of the beefer ones will do output of 3A... both of mine are in the middle at 2.4A.

So well within the limit.

What's interesting is the max capacity of a micro-USB is 3A, so you can't actually go over the max load because of the cable.

Honestly my incredulity at the whole thing stemmed from the fact that when I charge my device at home I plug the USB to micro USB cable directly into the USB port on my wall outlet, without a step down... that outlet is 4.8A... but the cable capacity protects the devices which I assume is why they went with Micro USB instead of USB-C

Long winded way of saying... I'm pretty sure this is a none issue.

Have been going drop camp for several years now.
Some outfits provide kitchen gear some don’t, some provide foam pads for cots some don’t, you’ll want one. I would think 20 degree bag or lower, even with a wood stove, problems can occur.
Whenever possible choose the lighter weight option, oxygen is at a premium don’t waste it schlepping un-needed weight.
One set of light weight underwear and one set of heavier weight. A good hooded puffy jacket and vest, and a hooded wind and perhaps rain proof outer layer. Merino wool socks accept no substitute, not a fan of insulated boots (I’d rather swap socks multiple times) but they are your feet and you know them, take Leuko tape for blister.

platypus water bladders beat nalgene bottles. You don’t have to have a hose, they can be purchased without. I won’t leave without 2l, and 3l Is nice at times. Multiple knives or a stone for touching up. Game bags, if you’re planning multiple trip, spring for some good ones now, (here is a good time to think lite).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back