Re-Barreling Project

So now to put it together. I only have one problem, though. I have a no-go gauge for it but the go gauge has been on backorder for a while, checking my account with Midway, it says the estimated arrival is 7-7-21. Not terribly long to wait, I suppose, but I think one can actually install a Rem/Age barrel using only the no-go. I just haven't done it. Anybody done that?

So now to put it together. I only have one problem, though. I have a no-go gauge for it but the go gauge has been on backorder for a while, checking my account with Midway, it says the estimated arrival is 7-7-21. Not terribly long to wait, I suppose, but I think one can actually install a Rem/Age barrel using only the no-go. I just haven't done it. Anybody done that?
Haven’t done it either but in essence it could work. I mean screw it in until the bolt doesn’t close on the no-go gauge. But I think I’d wait for a go-gauge personally.

I would not recommend using a no-go. The best option would be to order a go-gauge elsewhere. Any reamer manufacturer, Brownelles, MidSouth, direct from Forster....a lot of places sell gauges.

In a pinch, you could use a case. Take a fired case from another gun, adjust a full length sizer to just touch the base of the die, but not with a lot of pressure or camming over. Screw the barrel down, and then make sure that the bolt won’t close on the no-go. If it’s really close to closing, size the case a little further and try again. For an AI, maybe go hair tighter.

Don’t use an unfired case! It will make it so that you can’t size a case small enough in your dies to get an easy boot close when you reload. If you must use an unfired case, don’t go tight against it.

Last edited:
For AI cartridges, I use the parent case's GO gauge for the NOGO gauge in the AI. I use a parent cartridge unfired or resized case for the GO gauge. You should have resistance when locking the bolt down on the parent case, as there is some crush at the shoulder.

So if you have the AI NOGO and a regular 30-06 case, a regular 30-06 GO and a case, or the ackley GO/NOGO set you can headspace it.

Last edited:
For AI cartridges, I use the parent case's GO gauge for the NOGO gauge in the AI. I use a parent cartridge unfired or resized case for the GO gauge. You should have resistance when locking the bolt down on the parent case, as there is some crush at the shoulder.

So if you have the AI NOGO and a regular 30-06 case, a regular 30-06 GO and a case, or the ackley GO/NOGO set you can headspace it.
I know those were basically PO’s recommendations, but I have stopped having my rifles setup that way. He must have enjoyed having very difficult bolt closing.

I would recommend going a little tighter on an AI than a standard chambering, but if you setup tight on a parent case, you won’t be able to size your cases down enough use them happily once you’ve fired them in the gun.

Whenever I’m building something in an AI chambering that I already have, I size a fired case and tell my dad that I want the bolt to close on that case with no resistance.

I have done installs using a go gauge and then putting a layer of tape on the base of the go gauge to mimick a no-go gauge.. But not using a no-go to measure headspace. You are going to be better off in the long term just waiting and doing it right. I would check at other online stores / call local gunsmiths to see if they have something in stock you can buy or rent to finish your project. Like you, I suck at waiting and just paid $150 to expedite my barrel through the process!

Brian
You can rent the gauges from 4D rentals for like $5. Once you fireform your brass you can size a piece and save it for future use of setting “your” rifles exact headspace again if you remove the barrel ever.

I would install with just a go gauge in a heartbeat. But not a no go gauge.
Could use a loaded cartridge.as a dummy for a go gauge though....
Just measure that dummy extra good.
And as a barrel nut install, if it isn't just right, you can readjust if you have to. I would do it with a dummy and the no go.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back