PEAX Equipment

Rattlesnakes

Got this one out at the farm the other day. I normally don't like to kill them but this one was in a little too close.
snake.jpg

20 years of work in forestry/biology has pretty much taught me the vast majority of those bitten were attempting to catch the snake or inadvertently grabbed or stepped on it. Never personally been bitten, but I've known several that have been. Plain leather hunting boots have stopped every bite I've seen that was at boot level.

As far as severity of the bites that actually got through, they have varied greatly. My brother was bitten by a copperhead and had some swelling and burning but not much else. A fellow forester I know was bitten by a big eastern diamondback above his boot. He passed out 30 seconds after being bitten and didn't regain consciousness until almost a week later in the hospital. If he had been working alone at the time, I'm not sure he would have made it.

Snakes are so far down on the list of things to worry about, I rarely pay attention to them. I just try to watch where I put my feet and hands, assuming any that are there would rather run than fight.

My vet has me carry liquid benadryl and aspirin in my field first aid kit in the event of a snake bite on one of my bird dogs. I would not hesitate to take both for myself , assuming it was only a stop gap on the way to medical attention.

My vet has me carry liquid benadryl and aspirin in my field first aid kit in the event of a snake bite on one of my bird dogs. I would not hesitate to take both for myself , assuming it was only a stop gap on the way to medical attention.

Interesting comment, makes sense to me. - anyone have any experience with giving Benadryl to a dog after a snake bite?

You may want to do some more detailed research on this. The old traditional ways of treating snake bite until you have access to proper medical attention has been dismissed as ineffective and in some cases puts you at risk for more serious injury doing things like a tourniquet, razor blade and sucking the blood out. Even in the wilderness areas, a helicopter can be called in and get you out in a medical emergency. I have been in very few places where if push come to shove I could not call in medical. The new way they teach now is somewhat like below:

First, you have a GPS. Second, someone has to get to where medical assistance can be called in.

MOST OF THE TIME all you need to do is keep the bite area clean and ice pack applied to control swelling until medical help arrives. Snakes very rarely inject a full dose of venom like they would on a mouse or other prey. They need to survive and it takes snakes a long time to produce enough venom for the next emal. Snake kits that involve razor blades or tourniquets are actually more dangerous than the snake bite itself.

Jury is still out on whether wild hog predation on rattlesnakes has caused them to rattle less, but anecdotal evidence is clear. I have encountered several in my fields here in central Texas who have not rattled as I approached. One of them struck from the grass without warning as I walked by on the 2 track. I levitated. The old wives say that because hogs snack on rattlesnakes and there are now millions of hogs wandering the buffet tables of the fields of Texas, that the are evolving to stay quiet. Dunno about that but only snake I've encountered in the past 3 years to actually rattle was cornered in my deer blind and not willing to share the space.

MOST OF THE TIME all you need to do is keep the bite area clean and ice pack applied to control swelling until medical help arrives. Snakes very rarely inject a full dose of venom like they would on a mouse or other prey. They need to survive and it takes snakes a long time to produce enough venom for the next emal. Snake kits that involve razor blades or tourniquets are actually more dangerous than the snake bite itself.

No ice packs for snakebites as it can cause more damage. Elevate the bite as much as possible. For those on Facebook, follow National Snakebite Support. A handful of the top snakebite doctors in the world are on there to offer advice to those bitten by snakes. They have the very best and most up to date information as to how to manage snakebites. Don't believe everything you read on random forums and websites.

No ice packs for snakebites as it can cause more damage. Elevate the bite as much as possible. For those on Facebook, follow National Snakebite Support. A handful of the top snakebite doctors in the world are on there to offer advice to those bitten by snakes. They have the very best and most up to date information as to how to manage snakebites. Don't believe everything you read on random forums and websites.
Thanks for the info. I second that, get your advice from professionals who deal with snake bites. If in doubt, contact your own doctor.

Back